A proposal that benefits everyone

Page 2 of 6 (118 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »
This post has 117 Replies | 6 Followers

Posts 4913
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 4 2018 4:46 PM

Thankful I have been using Logos long enough to have both of these resources in my library but I strongly support your idea Joseph.  All logos users should be able to see these two resources in their library if they would like to have access to them.

My suggestion would be for BDAG to be available to purchase along (as is the case now) or to be able to purchase it in a dynamic collection that includes both BDAG and BAGD.    This would then be a way to achieve your solution.

Joseph Turner:
My solution would be to allow those who have purchased the newer editions, in this case BDAG, to be allowed to purchase the older edition as well.  This way, the publisher is guaranteed the proceeds from the newer edition, and the additional proceeds from the older edition are icing on the cake.

Also thankful I have NIV84 in my library. I can understand the disappoint of many of you not being able to access it. I grew up with it in my faith alongside the NKJV. 

Posts 2304
Beloved | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 5 2018 12:33 PM

Beloved:

bump link

Meanwhile, Jesus kept on growing wiser and more mature, and in favor with God and his fellow man.

International Standard Version. (2011). (Lk 2:52). Yorba Linda, CA: ISV Foundation.

Posts 151
Manuel Maria | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 5 2018 1:20 PM

Thank you! Great idea! I've bought several books from the current sale and they point to that not-too-old lexicon.

Posts 18651
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 5 2018 3:10 PM

Beloved:

Beloved:

I have started a Book Suggestion page for this work, I link to the page here. Show your support by voting.

bump link

This is the actual link (that which you posted was just a search string for finding it; works OK, but this gets you right to the page of that suggestions):

https://suggestbooks.uservoice.com/forums/308269-book-suggestions/suggestions/34160098-a-greek-english-lexicon-of-the-new-testament-and-o

I too am fortunate to have the 1979 edition too, but I think it's an excellent suggestion so I expended a full 3 votes for it.

Posts 2304
Beloved | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 5 2018 3:34 PM

Thanks Rosie!

Meanwhile, Jesus kept on growing wiser and more mature, and in favor with God and his fellow man.

International Standard Version. (2011). (Lk 2:52). Yorba Linda, CA: ISV Foundation.

Posts 4913
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 5 2018 3:55 PM

Beloved:

Thanks Rosie!

My votes have been cast.  Even though I already have it in my library I support it for all those who don't have it in their library.

Posts 1966
Joseph Turner | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 6 2018 3:28 AM

I also cast three votes.

Disclaimer:  I hate using messaging, texting, and email for real communication.  If anything that I type to you seems like anything other than humble and respectful, then I have not done a good job typing my thoughts.

Posts 1966
Joseph Turner | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 6 2018 3:31 AM

I do want to reiterate, as the focus of this post has turned mostly on getting BAGD, which I agree is a good thing, that I am speaking about all previously available earlier editions of resources which are tagged in other places, and not just BAGD.  The NIV84 is another good example which was brought up earlier in the thread.

Disclaimer:  I hate using messaging, texting, and email for real communication.  If anything that I type to you seems like anything other than humble and respectful, then I have not done a good job typing my thoughts.

Posts 1401
Forum MVP
Veli Voipio | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 6 2018 3:44 AM

I am in the same boat, gave 3 votes

Gold package, and original language material and ancient text material, SIL and UBS books, discourse Hebrew OT and Greek NT. PC with Windows 8.1

Posts 1970
Forum MVP
Reuben Helmuth | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 6 2018 4:28 AM

Joseph Turner:
I am speaking about all previously available earlier editions of resources which are tagged in other places, and not just BAGD.

Thanks, Joseph. Could we have a bit of a response from Faithlife?!

Posts 1388
Rick Ausdahl | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 6 2018 6:18 AM

doc:

Thankful I have been using Logos long enough to have both of these resources in my library but I strongly support your idea Joseph.  All logos users should be able to see these two resources in their library if they would like to have access to them.

My suggestion would be for BDAG to be available to purchase along (as is the case now) or to be able to purchase it in a dynamic collection that includes both BDAG and BAGD.    This would then be a way to achieve your solution.

Joseph Turner:
My solution would be to allow those who have purchased the newer editions, in this case BDAG, to be allowed to purchase the older edition as well.  This way, the publisher is guaranteed the proceeds from the newer edition, and the additional proceeds from the older edition are icing on the cake.

Also thankful I have NIV84 in my library. I can understand the disappoint of many of you not being able to access it. I grew up with it in my faith alongside the NKJV. 

My primary frustration with not having the NIV84 in my library along-side the 2011 version, is in having a library of apx. 3400 resources (small compared to many others, I know) in which the vast majority of the resources referencing the NIV, reference the 1984 version (to the point of discussing specific word-choices that are used in the translation), yet NOT be able to follow along because I'm not allowed to have the 1984 version in addition to my 2011 version.  This negatively affects the value and usefulness of all those resources referencing the NIV84.

I know there's nothing illegal about Zondervan's decision to stop publishing the 1984 version, but to market study and research resources that they publish, and which reference other resources that they have published and control the rights to, and yet NOT allow the customers who buy their study and research resources to also buy the Bible version referenced by those study and research resources is (in my opinion) disingenuous at best, and does not reflect a good Christian business ethic.

NOTE:  The bold and italic highlights in the quote from doc's post were added by me.

Posts 901
Paul Caneparo | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 6 2018 7:29 AM

Would the Anglicised version of the NIV do the job as that's still available in the 1984 version?

https://www.logos.com/product/29979/the-holy-bible-new-international-version-anglicised

UK spelling is not that different.

Posts 1388
Rick Ausdahl | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 6 2018 8:11 AM

Paul Caneparo:

Would the Anglicised version of the NIV do the job as that's still available in the 1984 version?

https://www.logos.com/product/29979/the-holy-bible-new-international-version-anglicised

UK spelling is not that different.

Thanks for the suggestion, Paul.  In fact, that's exactly what I thought a couple of years ago so I picked up the 1984 Anglicised version.  But what I realized is that while It can be of help in some situations, unfortunately it's not an interlinear, which makes it difficult to use to track with the author of a commentary for instance when referencing/discussing the Greek or Hebrew.

The OP's point is so spot-on, I just don't understand why Zondervan has taken the stance they have.  If they don't want to sell me just the 1984 version, fine--I understand they need to pay for the work done to create the 2011 version--I don't begrudge them that at all.  Just let me buy the 1984 version as well, please. 

Posts 6321
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 6 2018 11:15 AM

My 3 votes have been cast!

DAL

Posts 2304
Beloved | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 6 2018 2:47 PM

Reuben Helmuth:
Thanks, Joseph. Could we have a bit of a response from Faithlife?!

I too would appreciate a response from FL.

Posts 1164
LimJK | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 6 2018 8:29 PM

Smile 3 Votes Added Smile

JK

MacBookPro Retina 15" Mid 2014 2.5GHz RAM:16GB SSD:512GB macOS Mojave 10.14.1 | iPhone X iOS 12.1

Posts 1966
Joseph Turner | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 7 2018 4:05 AM

Can anyone think of any other volumes which would need to be considered?  I found BAGD, NIV84, and some of the Baker Encountering the Bible Series.

I specifically looked at Fee's 1 Corinthians in NICNT, which still has both volumes available, and I thought some of the IVP dictionaries had fallen away, but I note that both the first and second editions of Dictionary of Jesus and the Gospels are available.

Which others have been discontinued?

Posts 3159
Mattillo | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 7 2018 4:59 AM

The Evangelical dictionary of theology 1st Ed. I don't know if this was ever in logos but they have 2 and 3

https://www.logos.com/product/8029/evangelical-dictionary-of-theology-edt-2nd-ed 

Posts 4913
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 7 2018 5:14 AM

BAGD and NIV84 are the ones I think that are the most wanted. There was a time when NASB 1977 was removed from sale but after many years of asking it was made available for purchase again. So keep asking, keep pushing this thread. 

Posts 2304
Beloved | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 8 2018 1:10 PM

Rosie Perera:
https://suggestbooks.uservoice.com/forums/308269-book-suggestions/suggestions/34160098-a-greek-english-lexicon-of-the-new-testament-and-o

bump keep voting!

Page 2 of 6 (118 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last » | RSS