Welcome to the Messianic Jewish Products forum!

Page 2 of 2 (29 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 28 Replies | 5 Followers

Posts 310
Jeremiah | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 28 2019 12:46 PM

One other short comment.

I'm very appreciative that Logos is trying hard to provide Messianic base packages; it's a wonderful sentiment and I'm sure it'll get all ironed out, but....You really need to remove "Martin Luther: A Guide to His Life and Writings".

Luther, yimach sh'mo, is a truly detestable enemy of the Jewish people who sewed the seeds of the holocaust with writings such as "On the Jews and their Lies" where he called for the burning of synagogues and claims "G-d will judge Christians for not killing more Jews".  Happy to acknowledge heroes of the faith like Wycliffe, Jan Hus, etc. but the guy who wanted to delete James and Hebrews from the Apostolic writings is just a little too much to bear in a "Messianic Jewish" set.

I realize he is a hero for my protesting-Catholic friends, but he's not our hero. Please receive this with love, it's a beautiful thing you guys do over there at Logos and I'm very grateful to have these tools.

-Jeremiah

Dead languages are my mid-life crisis

Posts 9967
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 28 2019 1:04 PM

Jeremiah:

it turns out, if you scroll down past the first 2 entries that make it seem like you're getting this product "LHBOTS 382 volumes" to the part where individual items are listed, there's a little icon of a semicircle.  I thought "what's that?"

If you hover over it, an alt tag popup says,

"109 out of 384 resources in this collection are included".  

This looks like a serious error. Moreover, if I go looking up the complete serious, it tells me that the product is included in the Messianic Jewish Diamond Base Package which - as you found out - seems not to be the case.

This 

definitely would lead people to believe that all of LHBOTS is included in the base package, and the BP's landing page which puts forward LHBOTS as the flagship resource differentiating it would confirm that:

This should be clarified by FL ASAP (note that AYB says 88 vols which seems to be what is included as per the detail resource list - of the 90 vols in the AYB full bundle EDIT: and the AYB product page does not claim that bundle is included in MJ Diamond, even though 88/90 volumes are /EDIT) 

Running Logos 8 latest beta version on Win 10

Posts 3192
Forum MVP
PetahChristian | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 28 2019 6:03 PM

NB.Mick:

Jeremiah:

it turns out, if you scroll down past the first 2 entries that make it seem like you're getting this product "LHBOTS 382 volumes" to the part where individual items are listed, there's a little icon of a semicircle.  I thought "what's that?"

If you hover over it, an alt tag popup says,

"109 out of 384 resources in this collection are included".  

This looks like a serious error. Moreover, if I go looking up the complete serious, it tells me that the product is included in the Messianic Jewish Diamond Base Package which - as you found out - seems not to be the case.

Let's be cautious here, please.

I never bought LHBOTS separately (or any other package that contained it), but I happen to own that entire collection since purchasing Messianic Jewish Diamond last month.

I randomly checked about 10 of the LHBOTS monographs that didn't show up within the LHBOTS 109 volume partial collection, and I not only own them, but they were added to my library on the day I purchased the base package.

The reason is that many of the LHBOTS monographs are not grouped under "Library of Hebrew Bible / Old Testament Studies (LHBOTS)" where you'd expect them, but show up within the more general "Old Testament Studies" collection.

Confusing at first to list many LHBOTS monographs separately? Definitely. But as other product pages confirm, the entire LHBOTS does appear to be included in Messianic Jewish Diamond package.

Posts 9967
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 29 2019 12:27 AM

PetahChristian:

many of the LHBOTS monographs are not grouped under "Library of Hebrew Bible / Old Testament Studies (LHBOTS)" where you'd expect them, but show up within the more general "Old Testament Studies" collection.

Confusing at first to list many LHBOTS monographs separately? Definitely. But as other product pages confirm, the entire LHBOTS does appear to be included in Messianic Jewish Diamond package.

Glad to hear!

Running Logos 8 latest beta version on Win 10

Posts 138
LogosEmployee
Daniel Motley (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 29 2019 8:57 AM

Just to confirm, the LHBOTS 382 vols. collection is all contained within MJ Diamond. Unfortunately, while the current display system on base package pages is far, far better than our old system of showcasing individual titles in such a large collection, there are still various downsides that we're always looking to improve.

Sorry for any confusion! Another note: if you were interested on whether a collection is in a base package or not, one suggestion is to go to that product's page and scroll to the bottom to the "This title is included in the following collections" section. That section only appears when our systems detect the presence of the collection in other collections on our website. This doesn't just apply to a collection in a base package, but also an individual title in a collection or smaller collection contained within a larger one.

Product Manager, Faithlife

Posts 3192
Forum MVP
PetahChristian | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 29 2019 9:10 AM

Thanks for the confirmation, Daniel.

It's a great package, thanks for including LHBOTS in it!

Posts 310
Jeremiah | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 29 2019 11:22 AM

Thanks Daniel and PetahChristian.

That's great news!

OK, so looking more closely, it seems that all the items LHBOTS are actually listed in diamond, they just are spattered around outside of the LHBOTS folder so they look like individual items appearing in other sections of the listing. 

It makes it kind of hard when doing a valuation to separate out items mixed in when the myriad of listings from LHBOTS, many of which have their own folders as well.  It also makes it look like someone is getting LHBOTS + those hundreds of items listed elsewhere in the Messianic Diamond descriptions.  Just be aware folks. I took a few hours and combed through; often when I found interesting things in Messianic Diamond which I don't have, I cross checked with the Logos listing for the LHBOTS product (the separate listing for it on its own page) and I found that item was in LHBOTS.

It'd be nice if there was an easier way also to search on the Neusner products which are in the diamond package as they are spattered around; since I'll be on a payment plan I may like to add a few more Neusner items before checking out (I noticed a couple Neusner packages I had in my cart were removed when I added Diamond but not everything in those packages are in Diamond). 

Posts 310
Jeremiah | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 29 2019 1:43 PM

Does anyone know of a Logos product which contains the Hebrew of the Dead Sea Scrolls Sectarian material?

I see Messianic Diamond includes the *biblical* DSS database, but I want to go through the sectarian Hebrew content.  Is there a resource like this? I combed the Diamond listings and didn't see anything (English translation of some things, but not Hebrew).

Posts 310
Jeremiah | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 30 2019 1:16 AM

For anyone interested, this was answered for me very well by Denise and PetahChristian in my post over here.

Page 2 of 2 (29 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS