Is There a Place to Engage with the Faithlife/Logos Community other than these Forums?

Page 1 of 2 (33 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 32 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 93
Sharon Hillam | Forum Activity | Posted: Sun, Dec 27 2020 9:30 AM

I am a recent WS-to-Logos user and have found these forums very helpful while learning Logos. But now I have a question about content in the Ancient Christian Commentary on Scripture. (I have the resource on Kindle, not yet on Logos even though it's available on Logos.)

Because my question is NOT a software-related question, and your forum policies ask us NOT to discuss theology or "spiritual content" questions, I'm wondering if there is another way to "tap into" the Faithlife/Logos Community for this type of question.

To be specific, and because I'm NOT a seminary student or pastor (just an eager learner of the Word), I'm baffled by a number of statements in the section, "A Gentle Caveat for Those Who Expect Ancient Writers to Conform to Modern Assumptions." Clearly, the editors of this series are identifying an ongoing debate between ancient and modern exegesis. I didn't know there was one!

If nothing is available here, can you recommend another forum or website? Thank you.

Blogger/Teacher and former WORDsearch user who is LOVING LOGOS!

Posts 11433
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 27 2020 9:49 AM

Appreciate your concern!

My impression is the problem is  'I'm right!', that invites 'No, you're not!!'. And seriously downhill from there.  Discussion to clarify resources in Logos.com is pretty common ... and educational as well.

Regarding your question on exegesis, I'm guessing that the authors are speaking to the timing of various doctrines, both in the Catholic sphere, and later Protestant. One of the more well-known, was Origen, who went from well-regarded to 'heretic' in a single generation.

Regarding ACC, buy it in Logos (wait for a sale or package)!  It's linkable to your Bible, and includes many ancient writers not included in larger ancient-writer collections. Very useful.

"God will save his fallen angels and their broken wings He'll mend."

Posts 1543
Paul Caneparo | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 27 2020 10:40 AM

Denise:

Appreciate your concern!

My impression is the problem is  'I'm right!', that invites 'No, you're not!!'. And seriously downhill from there.  Discussion to clarify resources in Logos.com is pretty common ... and educational as well.

Regarding your question on exegesis, I'm guessing that the authors are speaking to the timing of various doctrines, both in the Catholic sphere, and later Protestant. One of the more well-known, was Origen, who went from well-regarded to 'heretic' in a single generation.

Regarding ACC, buy it in Logos (wait for a sale or package)!  It's linkable to your Bible, and includes many ancient writers not included in larger ancient-writer collections. Very useful.

It is on sale this month.

https://www.logos.com/product/31152/ancient-christian-commentary-on-scripture-complete-set-updated-edition-accs

Posts 5013
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 27 2020 3:32 PM

Sharon Hillam:
Because my question is NOT a software-related question, and your forum policies ask us NOT to discuss theology or "spiritual content" questions, I'm wondering if there is another way to "tap into" the Faithlife/Logos Community for this type of question.

Yes: https://faithlife.com/

Posts 93
Sharon Hillam | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 27 2020 6:30 PM

Denise:
Discussion to clarify resources in Logos.com is pretty common ... and educational as well.

Good to know. Will keep this in mind. Thanks!

Posts 93
Sharon Hillam | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 27 2020 6:36 PM

Paul Caneparo:

Thanks, Paul. IF I only had a spare $250 laying around...LOL! For now, I'll just use my Kindle version. I only have it for Gen 1-11, and I've not spent much time with it, which is what led to my question about the section in the Front Matter. I know $250 is a bargain, but I can't justify spending that much at the moment. I know Logos allows you to buy singles of the set for $25 each. I may opt to go that route. Not sure yet...but thanks, again.

Posts 93
Sharon Hillam | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 27 2020 6:40 PM

Sine, I tried the link, but it only takes me to MyFaithLife...and all I see there are a couple of media I uploaded by mistake. Nowhere did I see a way to get to a community discussion or forum. I'm not at all familiar with the faithlife website. It's all I can do to manage Logos! Smile

Posts 5013
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 27 2020 7:04 PM

Sharon Hillam:

Sine, I tried the link, but it only takes me to MyFaithLife...and all I see there are a couple of media I uploaded by mistake. Nowhere did I see a way to get to a community discussion or forum.

You can post to "My Faithlife", which is apt to attract comments from others. You can also find a group relevant to your concern(s), but that's more complicated.

Posts 31836
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 27 2020 7:10 PM

Depending upon your learning style, this book is a good start for understanding ancient methods and how they differ from contemporary methods. Biblical Interpretation Then and Now: Contemporary Hermeneutics in the Light of the Early Church | Logos Bible Software

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 1543
Paul Caneparo | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 27 2020 10:44 PM

Sharon Hillam:

Paul Caneparo:

Thanks, Paul. IF I only had a spare $250 laying around...LOL! For now, I'll just use my Kindle version. I only have it for Gen 1-11, and I've not spent much time with it, which is what led to my question about the section in the Front Matter. I know $250 is a bargain, but I can't justify spending that much at the moment. I know Logos allows you to buy singles of the set for $25 each. I may opt to go that route. Not sure yet...but thanks, again.

I don't buy sets for the same reason and prefer to pick off individual resources I want - especially if on sale.

Posts 130
Olli-Pekka Ylisuutari | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 28 2020 1:24 AM

Hello, Sharon, and Merry Christmas!

I have found that as long as you don't make the subject of your inquiry a personal truth matter, but rather take it as a question of different resources and good recommendations in Logos, the forum leaves much liberty at discussing - even hotly debated subjects.

To put it in another way: as long as you don't discuss as to how subject x truthfully is, but rather how Mr./Dr./Rev./Mrs./Ms. Y in his/her book deals with the subject x, you are sailing on much safer waters.

As to the question on the debate between ancient and modern exegesis, many Logos BP's (Base Packages) include the Lexham Bible Dictionary, which has this interesting article on the history of hermeneutics. Should be widely available at low cost, as part of, e.g. Logos Basic.

Logos 9 Anglican Diamond, Logos 9 Lutheran Diamond

Posts 2297
David Thomas | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 28 2020 9:24 AM

Sharon Hillam:
If nothing is available here, can you recommend another forum or website? Thank you.

SUGGESTION: Try searching for and joining some "groups" on faithlife.com to get interaction with users of similar interest.

Making Disciples!  Logos Ecosystem = Logos8 on Microsoft Surface Pro 4 (Win10), Android app on tablet, FSB on iPhone, [deprecated] Windows App, Proclaim, Faithlife.com, FaithlifeTV via Connect subscription.

Posts 19134
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 28 2020 10:49 AM

Olli-Pekka Ylisuutari:
As to the question on the debate between ancient and modern exegesis, many Logos BP's (Base Packages) include the Lexham Bible Dictionary, which has this interesting article on the history of hermeneutics. Should be widely available at low cost, as part of, e.g. Logos Basic.

Thankful for Lexham Bible Dictionary being included in the free Lexham Intro Collection (5 vols.)

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 93
Sharon Hillam | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 28 2020 6:14 PM

MJ. Smith:
Depending upon your learning style, this book is a good start for understanding ancient methods and how they differ from contemporary methods. Biblical Interpretation Then and Now: Contemporary Hermeneutics in the Light of the Early Church | Logos Bible Software

Looks like a great book! Thanks, M.J. I'll at least add it to my ever-growing Wish List. Smile

Posts 93
Sharon Hillam | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 28 2020 6:21 PM

Olli-Pekka Ylisuutari:

I have found that as long as you don't make the subject of your inquiry a personal truth matter, but rather take it as a question of different resources and good recommendations in Logos, the forum leaves much liberty at discussing - even hotly debated subjects.

To put it in another way: as long as you don't discuss as to how subject x truthfully is, but rather how Mr./Dr./Rev./Mrs./Ms. Y in his/her book deals with the subject x, you are sailing on much safer waters.

This is VERY good news because I have already found that Logos customer service (sales) isn't nearly as informative about resources as those of you here on the Forums are.

And I have the Lexham Bible Dictionary. I had it even before I upgrade to the Logos 9 Gold pkg.

Posts 93
Sharon Hillam | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 28 2020 6:33 PM

David Thomas:
SUGGESTION: Try searching for and joining some "groups" on faithlife.com to get interaction with users of similar interest.

Hi David, hey I tried just now to look for groups to join but I don't know what to search for and I didn't see a way to browse existing groups. All I see on my screen is the + to create a new group...and I sure don't want that. Somehow I managed to get on the Ron Rhodes group because it's there, but for the life of me, I have no idea how or even when I did it.

Is there a way to browse existing groups so I can see what's available?

Thanks. You're always helpful. 

Posts 2297
David Thomas | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 29 2020 5:38 AM

Sharon Hillam:
Is there a way to browse existing groups so I can see what's available?

It has been so long, I had to poke around to figure this out. Hmm  I typed "logos" into the search at the TOP of the page, rather than the side column and it provided quite a list to browse.

Making Disciples!  Logos Ecosystem = Logos8 on Microsoft Surface Pro 4 (Win10), Android app on tablet, FSB on iPhone, [deprecated] Windows App, Proclaim, Faithlife.com, FaithlifeTV via Connect subscription.

Posts 93
Sharon Hillam | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 29 2020 6:09 AM

David Thomas:

I typed "logos" into the search at the TOP of the page, rather than the side column and it provided quite a list to browse.

Got it! Will check it out. Thanks, again!

Posts 46
Greg Dement | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 29 2020 9:09 AM

I hope I frame this question correctly and in full respect for forum guidelines. I believe it would be correct to say that despite denominational, theological, etc differences at it’s fundamental foundation Logos stands for Christianity. I understand there are books offered that may fall outside of this so that we may educate ourselves to defend against it. 
My question is where is a line drawn or is there a line drawn by FaithLife/Logos? For example having a book available to purchase for study would be one line, having a book promoted as e-book of the week or Logos deal of the day would be a quite different line. One could make a case that current books being promoted this way could fall into that concern. Thoughts?

Posts 5227
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 29 2020 9:40 AM

Greg Dement:
Thoughts?

Logos is a program (resource supplier) for grown-up people. Those who have gone past the milk feeding stage and need some more substantial food.

As in all aspects of life and especially of leadership, it is as dangerous to surround oneself with 'yes books' as it is with 'yes men'. There comes a point in which we all need to open ourselves up to the opinions of those who disagree with us.

When we do that we either discount them because we understand there thought processes and reject them or we change because we find that something in their propositions fills a whole that we may not have noticed we had.

I want the 'yes books' promoted and I want the 'this will challenge you' books promoted.

I, for example, have a lot to learn from my current study 'Never use mixed metaphors in the Forums'.

tootle pip

Mike

How to get logs and post them. (now tagging post-apocalyptic fiction as current affairs)

Page 1 of 2 (33 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS