Hermeneia and Continental commentary Resource counts

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
This post has 7 Replies | 4 Followers

Posts 1178
David Wilson | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Sep 15 2010 3:13 PM

I see today that Augsburg Fortress are releasing an OT and a NT mix each containing Hermeneia and Continental Commentary Volumes.  The OT set is listed as 39 volumes http://www.logos.com/products/prepub/details/7755, and the NT set as 31 volumes http://www.logos.com/products/prepub/details/7756 (total for both is then 70).

Hermeneia lists seperately as a combined set of 43 volumes http://www.logos.com/products/details/7733
The Continental Commentary lists seperately as a 19 volume set http://www.logos.com/products/details/5179, for a combined total of 62 volumes.

Having purchased both Hermeneia and the Continental Commentary earlier on pre-pubs, it looked as though I should have 62 of the 70 volumes currently being offered through the new OT and NT combinations, so I was wondering what the other 8 might be about and how I might get them if they were interesting enough.

When I check my resource counts for both sets in Logos 4, I find that 2 of the 19 Continental Commentary resources are NT (Galatians and Revelation), so this contributes 17 resources to the new OT combination.

When I check on Hermeneia, I find 54 resources, of which 17 are yellow cover OT resources, and the rest red cover which are from the NT grouping.

Totals for existing resources are then OT 17 Hermeneia and 17 Continental for a total of 34, and NT 37 Hermeneia and 2 Continental for a total of 39.

No matter which way I look at it there are discrepancies between the number of volumes and number of actual resources: recognizing that it would not be the first time multiple volumes appear as a single resource file, and that NIC, ICC and other commentariescan contain volumes by different authors from different decades/eras with the same title, this is still difficult to understand.

Can someone at Logos clarify whether the new combined offereings of Hermeneia and Continental Commentary in their OT set and NT set versions contain any new/different resources than were released on the earlier Hermeneia and Continental Commentary offerings and if so identify which these are?   Similarly if there are volumes NOT included in the new sets, which these are ?  Perhaps I am the only one who is a little confused.....

Posts 1674
Paul N | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 15 2010 3:18 PM

Forum member Mark Barnes disected this in another Hermeneia thead that may prove some help

Mark Barnes:

JH:
What is the difference between the 43 volume set now priced at $598 and the 39 volume set on pre-pub for $299.50 (due to ship 1 Oct)?

The 43 volume set at $598 includes all the volumes in the Hermeneia series.

There are two $299.50 sets shipping on 1 Oct.

The first (OT) contains (a) All the OT Hermeneia books, (b) all the non-canonical* Hermeneia books, (c) Seventeen additional Continental Commentary books. (a) and (b) are already in the 43-volume set, but (c) isn't.

The second(NT) set contains (a) All the NT Hermeneia books, (b) all the non-canonical* Hermeneia books, (c) Two additional Continental Commentary books. (a) is already in the 43-volume set. (b) is in both the 43 volume set and the OT volume set above, but (c) isn't in either set.

The two $299 volume sets together are equivalent to the 43-volume Hermeneia Set and the Continental Commentary Set, and therefore offer exceptional value for money.

Posts 13366
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 15 2010 4:10 PM

Seven volumes are included in both the OT and NT sets, so that accounts for almost all of the missing resources. (In other words, buying both sets gets you 63, not 70 resources). They're listed at the end of both pages. I'm currently at a loss to explain the 63rd volume. You're right, the maths doesn't add up.

Posts 1178
David Wilson | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 15 2010 4:11 PM

Hi Paul:

Saw the thread to which you linked, but these did not seem to go into resolving the multi dimensional resource count discrepancies, which appears to be much more complicated given my Logos 4 Hermeneia resource count is 54 not 43. (Plus 19 resources for the Continental Commentary). The resource list has three volumes related to the Apostolic Tradition and nine volumes on various aspects of Q (including the Gospel of Thomas) where these topics look in the Logos pages as if they were single volumes on each.

Doubtless great value for money for those who currently do not have Hermeneia, but for those that do, a little difficult to determine if there is anything new with respect to the previous CD offerings of both Continental Commentary and Hermeneia.

Posts 13366
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 15 2010 4:16 PM

Mark Barnes:
I'm currently at a loss to explain the 63rd volume.

OK, I've got it. It's the Odes of Solomon. So:

(43 Hermeneia + 19 Continental + Odes of Solomon) = (39 OT Hermeneia + 31 NT Hermeneia - 7 duplicates)

Posts 1178
David Wilson | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 15 2010 4:26 PM

Looks like the Odes have it.

How might existing Hermeneia and Continental Commentary owners get the Odes I wonder ?

Posts 18697
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 15 2010 10:14 PM

David J. Wilson:

Looks like the Odes have it.

How might existing Hermeneia and Continental Commentary owners get the Odes I wonder ?

Odes will probably be made available as a Hermeneia upgrade, the way Matthew 1-7, Mark, and Acts were (http://www.logos.com/products/details/4703) for those who'd bought the earlier 40-volume set of Hermeneia. I see that another volume (Psalms 101-150) is set to be released in June 2011, so it's possible Logos might wait until then to bundle them both together (I don' t know). Or they might release them both as single volumes. You can order either or both as solo volumes directly from the publisher. But waiting for a bundle upgrade price would probably be a better deal, unless you absolutely need the Odes volume ASAP.

Posts 13366
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 26 2013 11:02 AM

Rosie Perera:
bundle upgrade price

That's now available: http://community.logos.com/forums/t/69622.aspx 

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS