A Gift to ALL Catholics *smile*

Page 2 of 10 (198 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »
This post has 197 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 2212
Damian McGrath | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 19 2011 4:44 PM

Floyd Johnson:
Welcome Damian - I trust life is calming down a bit for you.  Let us know how it is going.

Thanks Floyd,

Not yet calming down. One of our schools received about 3/4 million dollars in damage. Minor damage everywhere else - including my house... Lot's of work to be done and contractors to employ.

Four funerals in two days last week. One funeral from before the cyclone to go.

Everything that was postponed still has to happen. So, the next week will also be quite frantic. I definitely know that I'm alive.

Posts 2212
Damian McGrath | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 19 2011 4:46 PM

MJ. Smith:
Damian - I trust you noted that I did not apply that language to historic Protestants either.

Martha, you weren't even in my mind. I was simply responding to Mike.

Posts 175
Silent Sam | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 19 2011 4:55 PM

Hmm HHHMMMmmm~~~ Hmm

Posts 3578
steve clark | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 19 2011 5:09 PM

Thanks Milford!

That is a very nice site.

QLinks, Bibl2, LLR, Macros
Dell Insp 17-5748, i5, 1.7 GHz, 8G RAM, win 8.1

Posts 10731
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 19 2011 6:05 PM

Matthew C Jones:
I have worshiped with IFB congregations since 1996 but find myself embracing the one (universal) body of Christ

I have attended—and served as pastor—or IFB Churches longer than that, and I have always embraced, and taught, the one (universal) Body of Christ. In fact, that was taught in the IFB college I attended (not by all professors, however). But, then, I was never your typical IFB pastor. Big Smile

Posts 28985
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 19 2011 8:47 PM

Dan DeVilder:
I wouldn't like being labeled a schismatic, either.  But I took it all with a grain of salt.

A final point for sake of clarity: The Great Schism is the common description of the split of the Byzantine and Western churches circa 1054. This is the context that I expected schismatic to be read. The primary split within the Western Church is known as the Reformation, which as Matthew has shown resulted in groups that consider themselves "catholic" and groups that do not. A post on the use of the term "catholic" does not include the latter group.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 175
Silent Sam | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 19 2011 9:10 PM

Milford Charles Murray:

I don't want to get into any theological discussions that in any way abuse the Forum Guidelines.

But, today I want to share something that I find very beautiful..... 

Hmm HHHMMMmmm~~~ Hmm

Why play the catholic card at all?   Why not just offer the gift to anyone who is interested? Why assume that "non catholics" would not appreciate great art? Dredging up a year-old inflammatory thread is not my idea of promoting peace.

God Bless 

Posts 3861
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 19 2011 9:23 PM

MJ. Smith:

Dan DeVilder:
I wouldn't like being labeled a schismatic, either.  But I took it all with a grain of salt.

A final point for sake of clarity: The Great Schism is the common description of the split of the Byzantine and Western churches circa 1054. This is the context that I expected schismatic to be read. The primary split within the Western Church is known as the Reformation, which as Matthew has shown resulted in groups that consider themselves "catholic" and groups that do not. A post on the use of the term "catholic" does not include the latter group.

no worries here, Martha!  But thanks, anyway.  (and notice I did not say "I don't" but, I wouldn't . . . Wink

I like Apples.  Especially Honeycrisp.

Posts 77
K.J. | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 20 2011 1:21 PM

Silent Sam:

Milford Charles Murray:

I don't want to get into any theological discussions that in any way abuse the Forum Guidelines.

But, today I want to share something that I find very beautiful..... 

Hmm HHHMMMmmm~~~ Hmm

Yes

Why play the catholic card at all?   Why not just offer the gift to anyone who is interested? Why assume that "non catholics" would not appreciate great art? Dredging up a year-old inflammatory thread is not my idea of promoting peace.

Yes

Posts 28985
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 20 2011 4:22 PM

Silent Sam:
Dredging up a year-old inflammatory thread is not my idea of promoting peace.

Folks - this has become bizarre. What is inflammatory about giving the following definitions:

• catholic with a small c includes everyone who wants to be considered part of a/the universal church
  • Catholic with a capital C is the common vernacular shortcut for the vernacular "Roman Catholic"
  • Catholic with a capital C more accurately includes all the rites tied in some manner to the bishop of Rome
  • Catholic with a capital C can be justifiably expanded to include those who are considered schismatic - otherwise defined as those who under the right conditions may share the reception of the Eucharist with those tied in some manner to the bishop of Rome

Why a historic Protestant would assume that these definitions label them schismatic - unless they believe ecumenical conversations have led to a mutual understanding of a schismatic relationship - is beyond me. The definitions clearly relate to the definition of "catholic" - not to definitions of Christian, Protestant, schismatic, heretic ... For people to object to how someone chooses to label a thread that is a gift to all forum users is [select term of choice] - the post clearly was intended to be especially of interest to Catholics not exclusively for Catholics. The post was clearly intended to be a thank you for broadening the understanding of what composes the "Catholic Church". So let me accept the thanks with a "you are welcome - and thank you for the link" with a by now rather cross "enough already."

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 8893
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 20 2011 4:45 PM

Milford Charles Murray:
I've been to the Sistine Chapel!  What a wonderful experience!      Now, courtesy of the Vatican, you can go there too!  Right now! Be patient with yourself as you navigate this web site.  Move your mouse around.  Fantastic technology!  You can see the ceiling also, the floors, the walls, zoom in and out, listen to marvelous music on your speakers.    Wow! http://www.vatican.va/various/cappelle/sistina_vr/index.html

Also don't miss the Necropolis under St Peter, with Peter's grave: http://www.vatican.va/various/basiliche/necropoli/scavi_english.html. It's bit tricky to navigate, but worth it. And don't miss going there if you're in Rome. You might need to book in advance, though.

Thomas Black:
I am curious, are the wall hangings concealing more fresco's or are there plain walls beneath, or perhaps other areas beyond?

I suspect that the "wall hangings" are frescos. Wink

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 175
Silent Sam | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 20 2011 4:48 PM

MJ. Smith:
So let me accept the thanks with a "you are welcome - and thank you for the link" with a by now rather cross "enough already."

You get to determine what is "enough"?  You can be as grumpy as you like for as long as you like...but last I heard...you are a forum participant, just like we commoners. I didn't challenge your definitions of the word "catholic", nor did I imply that they were inflammatory. I said the thread was inflammatory. Anyone who checked to see where the OP's quote came from will, indeed find a very inflammatory thread. I still see no need to go down that road again. If someone want's to supply a link to a site that displays the Sistine Chapel, Why does it have to be exclusively for capital C Catholics? That just causes further division...when just simply offering that link to the whole forum could serve to unify the members.

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 20 2011 4:50 PM

fgh:

Also don't miss the Necropolis under St Peter, with Peter's grave: http://www.vatican.va/various/basiliche/necropoli/scavi_english.html. It's bit tricky to navigate, but worth it. And don't miss going there if you're in Rome. You might need to book in advance, though.

You can book a gravesite there?  Devil

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 20 2011 4:54 PM

Silent Sam:

MJ. Smith:
So let me accept the thanks with a "you are welcome - and thank you for the link" with a by now rather cross "enough already."

You get to determine what is "enough"?  You can be as grumpy as you like for as long as you like...but last I heard...you are a forum participant, just like we commoners. I didn't challenge your definitions of the word "catholic", nor did I imply that they were inflammatory. I said the thread was inflammatory. Anyone who checked to see where the OP's quote came from will, indeed find a very inflammatory thread. I still see no need to go down that road again. If someone want's to supply a link to a site that displays the Sistine Chapel, Why does it have to be exclusively for capital C Catholics? That just causes further division...when just simply offering that link to the whole forum could serve to unify the members.

Sam, practice what your name implies and just be silent on this subject.  MJ is one of the most amicable persons on the forum -- unlike me since I'm a curmugeon.  If she say "Enough", believe me when I say "It's enough."  Or, in the immortal words of Archie Bunker -- "STIFLE." 

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 175
Silent Sam | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 20 2011 5:01 PM

George Somsel:
Or, in the immortal words of Archie Bunker -- "STIFLE." 

I can quote Archie, too !   "Who rattled your chain, Meathead?"

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 20 2011 5:10 PM

Silent Sam:

I can quote Archie, too !   "Who rattled your chain, Meathead?"

You did.  Besides, at least there's something in the head.

george
gfsomsel

Posts 1011
Mike Pettit | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 20 2011 5:20 PM

The post stated that CATHOLIC included all those in communion with Rome (or schismatics) and excluded heretics.

Why this was said I have no idea, but you cannot go around making statements like that and expect it to go unchallanged. It has since been pointed out that Rome does not view protestants as schismatics so where does that leave us?

It is not a question of being insulting, as a statement of theology I am sure it is very respectable from its own perspective but for a statement like this to be made and then to say how terrible it is that it is challenged is ridiculous. 

This board is for discussing Logos, not to push a doctrinal position.

Posts 8893
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 20 2011 5:23 PM

George Somsel:
You can book a gravesite there?  Devil

You can book a gravesite on the floor above -- if you get yourself elected pope first. Stick out tongue

(I believe the one last occupied by John Paul II is being vacated. I also believe that's the same one that was earlier occupied by John XXIII, so it's housed at least two saints, and is nicely situated opposite the grave of our Swedish queen Kristina (who, btw, before she abdicated and converted, was seriously planning to make the entire future US a Swedish colony Big Smile))

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 20 2011 5:39 PM

Mike Pettit:

Precisely, so let's get back to the subject.

george
gfsomsel

Posts 77
K.J. | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 20 2011 5:58 PM

George Somsel:

Mike Pettit:

Precisely, so let's get back to the subject.

We should use you as an example of how to stay on topic? Big Smile I see a new MVP on the horizon.

George Somsel:
You can book a gravesite there?  Devil

Page 2 of 10 (198 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last » | RSS