What Logos development is doing

Page 1 of 3 (56 items) 1 2 3 Next >
This post has 55 Replies | 4 Followers

Posts 1691
LogosEmployee
Bob Pritchett | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, May 12 2011 10:38 PM

For the curious... silence from the Logos developers doesn't mean they are on vacation. It means they are working hard to deliver the things you're waiting for! :-)

There are concerns that Logos has abandoned this or that platform or feature, or that all the energy is on one particular area to the detriment of others. This isn't true. We have a large team split over many projects; the top priority projects generally have more than one person working on them.

Yes, if we cut the number of projects we could get a few of them done sooner. (Though it's often the case that adding 50% more people won't improve productivity by the same amount -- there are diminishing returns as more cooks stir the same pot.) But we believe these are all important things to deliver.

We are actively working on:

- Logos 4 Windows

- Logos 4 Mac

- Logos iOS improvements

- Logos for Android

- Proclaim for Mac/Windows/Mobile (remotes)

- A dozen miscellaneous but (trust me) very important projects related to improving our internal systems, cleaning up metadata, building out our platform, preparing unannounced things, etc., etc.

At the moment, we consider the platform wars "tied" for all of these. Windows has more users than Mac, but Mac is behind and needs improvement, and it is gaining market share on the way to 50%. We consider it equally important to Windows, and already are at the point where some new work is Mac first, then ported to Windows.

iOS has more users, but Android is growing very fast, and we're treating them as equally important. They have equally sized dev teams, though Android is a bit behind, and we're planning all new work/features for both.

We're even preparing for more (alas!) back-end re-writing / re-architecting, to enable us to share more code between all FOUR platforms.

Other mobile OS's are not getting as much attention, though Biblia.com and some HTML5 solutions are still getting some work.

Within the Logos 4 (dual platform) world, we're still working on things like PBB. PBB has been in development for many months, and is absolutely not abandoned. It just hasn't been ready to test or deliver yet. It's getting close.

SermonFile is a harder problem, because we don't like the way we used to do it. People wanted to put too many too different documents into that system, so we're planning a completely different approach that's web oriented. (More http://books.logos.com with document uploading than 3.x SermonFile.) Part of SermonFile functionality will be taken over by a much better PBB tool, part by this new web solution, which is further out than Q2.

We have somewhere around 40 full-time developers. Two started Monday. Two more are hired and starting in coming weeks. We have 14 software development interns this summer; 1 is already here, 6 start Monday, and then they keep coming on through June. We've added a UI designer, have two UI design summer interns, and we've hired more testers. 

We are still hiring, and are willing to take at least 6 more full-time developers as soon as we can find them. We conduct multiple development interviews nearly every day. (Using valuable staff time, unfortunately.) We've sent our dev hiring manager to Wheaton, Baylor, and Seattle Pacific University in the past few weeks; we attended a four university career fair in Spokane before that. We've had the computer science faculty of our local Western Washington University in for lunch, and invited all the seniors to come by for a tour. We co-sponsored a local technical recruiting night. (http://bellinghamtechnight.com/)

We're not slacking off, and we're not abandoning your favorite planned features. If we're abandoning anything, it's sleep. :-)

-- Bob

P.S. Know a great software developer? Send them our way!

Posts 1145
William | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 12 2011 10:50 PM

Bob, thanks for the word.......I look forward to the features.  Can you let us have some info on hebrew pronunciation?  That is old and still outstanding.

Posts 26857
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 12 2011 10:52 PM

Thanks for the update. I personally like the additional testers, PBB and the recognition that everything got shoved into "sermons" - it was great fun browzing through the oddities. Big Smile I'm even impressed with the path you are taking for broadened resources - Talmud, BCP, etc. And just so you don't think someone else is using my account - I trust a review of notes is right behind the sermon add-in.Wink

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 646
Frank Sauer | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 12 2011 11:08 PM

Bob, thank you for the open and clear response. It allows the consumer the ability to make decisions much easier.

I am excited for Logos and what the future holds for the company in Bible Study offerings as I stated to Jerry earlier today when I spoke to him.

I love a lot of what I hear and some that concerns me for my needs from the software. With this great Customer Relations release it will help this user make a decision for his Bible Study needs.

I really hope that if Sermon File is drastically changed it is for the better, because it was outstanding the way it was, with the import and data entry functions available and without them could be lacking from where it started.

No matter as I told Jerry, if I were to choose a different path, I would still recommend Logos with the utmost grading for Mac Users. PC and Android TBD

Either way Logos has been an incredible tool and blessing for me since the LLS days.

Many Blessings to the Company

Posts 10
Phil J. Kooistra | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 13 2011 12:04 AM

Thank you so much Bob...  I just got Nexflix on my Droid tonight and Logos would make it complete!  It is the one app I have been waiting, waiting, and waiting for.  I am tired of carrying an ipod touch around JUST for Logos.

Thanks again, and let me know if you need any beta testers.  I have used Logos for 15 years and would be glad to beta test for android

Posts 2964
tom | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 13 2011 4:09 AM

Bob Pritchett:
People wanted to put too many too different documents into that system

hmmmm....sounds like the same issue that notes have.  I still say that if you create a single (good) ui for us to store all of our information, it will be easier to maintain and easier for us to use.

There is no reason to have a unique subsystem for notes, clippings, sermon, and etc...

Posts 8601
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 13 2011 5:22 AM

Thanks Bob, 

These little peaks inside the windows are great for Morale!  And it never hurts that it titilates my own desire to know more.  :-)

Bob Pritchett:
... projects related to ...preparing unannounced things,
 Oh this makes me giddy with expectation.

Truth Is Still Truth Even if You Don't Believe It

Check the Wiki

Warning: Sarcasm is my love language. I may inadvertently express my love to you.

Posts 928
Bill Moore | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 13 2011 5:30 AM

Thanks for the update, Bob. Looking forward to the Android app release.

Pastor, Cornerstone Baptist Church, Clinton, SC

Posts 323
Doug | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 13 2011 5:35 AM

Man, I wish I had the programming chops.  Helping make Logos better would be my dream job.  I love writing code and I love Logos.  

Anyway, very well put Bob.  Thanks for the info.

Posts 497
Greg Masone | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 13 2011 6:13 AM

Bob Pritchett:
For the curious... silence from the Logos developers doesn't mean they are on vacation. It means they are working hard to deliver the things you're waiting for! :-)

Hey Bob, any word yet on what Logos will be doing for the iOS apps now that Apple have changed their Ebooks pricing policy?

Posts 25050
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 13 2011 6:42 AM

Bob Pritchett:
We're not slacking off, and we're not abandoning your favorite planned features.

Great communication, Bob.  Thank you.

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 2289
mab | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 13 2011 6:59 AM

Dollars to donuts Bob was getting numerous email just because there hadn't been an update downloading to L4/M stable release in at least a week Wink

Thanks Bob to you and your team of great workers. Makes our job of getting the Word out that much more fruitful.

The mind of man is the mill of God, not to grind chaff, but wheat. Thomas Manton | Study hard, for the well is deep, and our brains are shallow. Richard Baxter

Posts 9098
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 13 2011 8:05 AM

Bob,

I wonder if being able to share things like Note Files is in development or are we still talking the undefined future? I know that is something a lot of us would like.

The ability to do local backup and restore has also been asked for a number of times. I've been bitten a couple of times losing my collections, although I was able to recover by modifying the same collections on a second installation one at a time. That triggered a re-synch but was time consuming and if I didn't have the second installation I would have been out of luck.

Thanks for the report.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 3578
steve clark | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 13 2011 8:14 AM

Thanks for taking the time to let us know what is going on inside of Logos!

QLinks, Bibl2, LLR, Macros
Dell Insp 17-5748, i5, 1.7 GHz, 8G RAM, win 8.1

Posts 349
Frank Fenby | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 13 2011 8:27 AM

Thanks for the update, PBB is my biggest wish.

Posts 2925
Forum MVP
Jacob Hantla | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 13 2011 10:10 AM

Thank you so much, Bob. This update is much appreciated. 

Jacob Hantla
Pastor/Elder, Grace Bible Church
gbcaz.org

Posts 5564
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 13 2011 10:41 AM

Thanks Bob!

This is really helpful and encouraging.

Help links: WIKI;  Logos 6 FAQ. (Phil. 2:14, NIV)

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 13 2011 10:45 AM

Thanks for priority update with Logos market share information, added " What Logos development is doing (includes platform priority insights) (Bob Pritchett, CEO) " to Logos Speaks wiki page.

Bob Pritchett:

We're not slacking off, and we're not abandoning your favorite planned features. If we're abandoning anything, it's sleep. :-)

Praying for appropriate rest (too little sleep = too many avoidable mistakes) along with anticipating future Logos Bible Study improvements.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 854
Ron Corbett | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 13 2011 12:00 PM

Thanks so much for the update.

Blessings

Posts 10587
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 13 2011 12:47 PM

Mark A. Smith:
I've been bitten a couple of times losing my collections, although I was able to recover by modifying the same collections on a second installation one at a time.

Time Machine, part of the Mac OS, makes this easier. Big Smile Sorry, couldn't help myself. Fingers started typing even while my mind was screaming, "Don't do that!" Geeked

To keep this post on topic: Thank you, Bob, for the update. The comment about Mac Market Share was particularly informative.

Page 1 of 3 (56 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS