Christmas Sale Concerns

Page 2 of 3 (55 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >
This post has 54 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 84
Jerry Fourroux | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 7 2011 8:41 AM

As a newbie to Logos, I used Bibleworks primarily, but missed the ease of search or cited by. 

The amount of resources I already own under Platinum and the Nelson Reference Bundle are still amazing if I never buy another resource.

Logos is amazing and my wife thinks I have an addiction to buy commentaries, but it has revolutionized my studying. 

I wish I had purchased one of the Black Friday items, but oh well, there is always another sale or another resource.   

I wish they had another Christmas bundle again, but alas, maybe next year.

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 7 2011 8:50 AM

Kaye Anderson:
Seeing the new stuff or hearing of a sale can encourage me to spend where it is not wise for my need and situation.  I work in a food pantry in Appalachian America where the cost of one book purchase can feed a family for a month in some cases.  I have to keep perspective.
(Highlights mine.)  Yes, Kaye. And thank you for reminding us.

I know of Bible Colleges and Seminaries in Haiti, India, Mexico and South Africa where Logos Scholar Silver would pay for most of a preacher's education. And the vast majority of "affluent" Americans find a $40,000 education insurmountable. In the late 1980's I considered a job with the Department of Education as a type of circuit-riding educator in the Appalachians.

I don't mean to trivialize the bleak state many must live in. On the contrary, I was hoping to show an education can be acquired for a lot less than a brick & mortar seminary degree. As for book allowances; Lincoln walked great distances to borrow a single book. When we read a borrowed book we return the book but keep the knowledge we've gleaned. We do not have to own the physical book.

Back to what I believe your point is; It is all too easy to justify a large expenditure for things related to "Spiritual growth" while ignoring the "true religion" we read of in James 1:27  and  Matthew 25:34-40

When Mother Teresa visited the USA, her entourage traveled in a caravan of motorhomes. I withhold judgement on that. Wheaton College is one of the world's finest schools in my opinion. I won't argue the ethics of spending more money for a superior education. Likewise, if someone spends the money on Logos, I will leave their motives and wisdom between their conscience and God.

God bless you as you practice true religion.

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 1374
nicky crane | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 8 2011 10:17 AM

Logos blog:     12 Days of Logos has returned with a dozen amazing deals for a dozen days!

The 12 Days of Logos brings huge discounts on one product per day for 12 consecutive weekdays. Starting yesterday and running through December 21, we’ll be posting a new deal every Monday–Friday on12DaysofLogos.com. Tremendous savings are in store, so check back each day for a new deal!

(emphasis mine)

I don't think this applies to $3 off regular price for Hermeneutics spiral. I feel Logos is being less straightforward than usual in making this claim.  OK, I'm not obliged to buy it, and I'm not inclined to after reading what I consider to be misleading sales talk.

Posts 3856
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 8 2011 1:09 PM

nicky crane:
I don't think this applies to $3 off regular price for Hermeneutics spiral.

yeah, a little underwhelmed, and I already own it.  Kindle version is a bit cheaper.  but I'd take it in Logos any day and it is still cheaper than hardbound on Amazon by about $3. 

It's a great little book.

I like Apples.  Especially Honeycrisp.

Posts 146
Joe Mayden | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 8 2011 2:10 PM

I have been a Logos user since the beginning.  What I am learning is that the longer you have been a user and taken advantage of the good deals at Mo's seminars, the 12 days of Christmas, etc. we have picked the good stuff clean. 

There comes a point that unless you just want to brag on having a big library, you are spending money you don't need to spend. You already have the necessary tools to do the study. 

I turned 65 this year and I see young folks buying things that I already have and am using or bought and found out I don't really need.  Thinking back over my purchases there have on more than one occasion been a purchase because of a good deal that I have yet to use or used so infrequently that it didn't justify the purchase.

We have an unbelievable resource in Logos to explore God's Word, church history, great theology and glean from the minds of the likes of John Owen, N T Wright, Francis Shaeffer, etc.  But I have so many books in my library I will never get to them all. 

Some options might be to find a seminary student that doesn't have logos and buy him a package or a seminary student that does have Logos but doesn't have the bucks to buy BADG or Halot or a commentary set, etc.

I have observed my missionary friends at times receiving something, they could have used, but then knowing someone who needs it worse than they do and they give it away.

There comes a point when we need to say, "I think I have enough books to do what I need to do".

Ecclesiastes 12:12 (NASB95) 12But beyond this, my son, be warned: the writing of many books is endless, and excessive devotion to books is wearying to the body.

Just a thought!

Posts 5285
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 8 2011 4:32 PM

The 50% is likely on the more public domain items, i found out that Interpretation would offer a $200 credit… which is about 25%. I believe I heard one person stating a similar amount for the NIC. If I could get a credit of 50% I would buy interpretation today.

-Dan

Calvin Habig:
You can't spend $100 and get 50% of the total in Logos credit. (silly me)  You have to watch the qualifiers.  "up to".  You have to spend $5,000 (or more) to get the 50% credit.  Thankfully for the 1% who can spend $5,000 on Bible software "there’s no cap to the amount you can earn!"  (Although does someone who can afford to spend that much really NEED that big of a rebate?)

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 8 2011 6:18 PM

Has anybody read today's blog?   Here.

and, in case you don't want to bother clicking on the link, here is a capture of what I an referring to:

What this also means is you can buy $5000 or more of your most desired resources. Put it on a 12 month payment plan with only $5 per month "interest" (as many like to call it.)

You could have an order like this:

You can have this collection for $738 per month for 12 months.

That will include a $4,398 credit for future purchases.

Bottom line is you get $13837.5 or better (If you shop wisely in 2012 you can stretch that credit another $1500 or so.) for 12 payments of $738.

I like this deal so much, I am considering selling my 1974 Mercury Montclair and my pickup truck. Surprise Just say "YES!"

Please do not contact me about my vehicles, this forum is not Crag's list.

Posts 152
Ryan | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 8 2011 6:41 PM

You forgot to publish your anti-capitalist, occupy Logos drivel in the form of a picture of your post written on an 8-1/2" x 11" piece of white paper.

Posts 1674
Paul N | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 8 2011 6:49 PM

lol Ryan, only problem is that Logos pays for two Logos users' school tuition each semester.  Stick out tongue

Posts 1674
Paul Golder | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 8 2011 7:42 PM

nicky crane:
I feel Logos is being less straightforward than usual in making this claim.

That's what I though this thread was going to be about when I first saw it (and why I popped into the forums today, to see if anyone else had noticed the less than "tremendous savings").

Discounts so far:

• N. T. Wright Collection = 23.3% off
  • The New Unger’s Bible Handbook = 35.1% off
  • The Hermeneutical Spiral = 20.2% off

But then, I imagine that "tremendous savings" is a very subjective phrase...

"As any translator will attest, a literal translation is no translation at all."

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 8 2011 9:45 PM

Ryan:
You forgot to publish your anti-capitalist, occupy Logos drivel in the form of a picture of your post written on an 8-1/2" x 11" piece of white paper.

Huh? Huh?                                                                 Uh,    Huh? Confused                  Umm, Huh? Confused

"Occupy"  .....    As in West Bank?

Posts 1674
Paul Golder | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 9 2011 8:47 AM

Today's sale:

• Camp Logos Live = 12.9% off

"As any translator will attest, a literal translation is no translation at all."

Posts 152
Ryan | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 9 2011 9:23 AM

Super Tramp:

Ryan:

Huh? Huh?                                                                 Uh,    Huh? Confused                  Umm, Huh? Confused

"Occupy"  .....    As in West Bank?

As in "Occupy Wallstreet", since his entire post was completely written in the "Occupy Wallstreet" "I'm am the 99%" format.

As can be found here-http://wearethe99percent.tumblr.com/

Example-

Puke.

For all I know, the 99% example could very well be our OP...

Paul Newsome:

My post was completely 100% facetious.

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 9 2011 10:00 AM

Ryan:
My post was completely 100% facetious.

I get it now, but You gotta be kidding! These 99 per-centers actually believed what the politicians told them?! Indifferent They kinda deserve what they voted for. I bet they do it to themselves again. What a bunch of crybabies.

I will agree they are in the 99% because hard times fall on everybody. Life is rough if you go it alone. But even if I have to sleep in my car and stand in soup lines, I'm going to be fine. I'm not alone. I have a friend who is closer than a brother.

Ryan:
For all I know, the 99% example could very well be our OP...

I can assure you the OP for this thread is not one of "them." Calvin is a real cool dude that is making a point that many Logos users can relate to. Every now and then my feathers get ruffled too. Just not this time on this issue.

Posts 3856
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 9 2011 10:54 AM

Super Tramp:
my 1974 Mercury Montclair

I think my dad had a 70 Montclair.  Totaled around 71.  Bungled repair by the repairman who was transitioning to operating a "worm farm" on the same premises.  used stacks of washers to level the car.  Southern IL.  replaced with an Army Green Dodge Cornet 440.  Four door.  sigh.

I like Apples.  Especially Honeycrisp.

Posts 28921
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 9 2011 12:54 PM

ad hominem alert

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 5315
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 9 2011 1:23 PM

nicky crane:
. I feel Logos is being less straightforward than usual in making this claim.  OK, I'm not obliged to buy it, and I'm not inclined to after reading what I consider to be misleading sales talk.

Nicky this is the case with every Logos Sale.  The discount quoted is always based on the list price, not the logos price.  And this practice does concern me as a consumer, but its up to them to decide if what is allowable by law is an appropriate for them to adopt as a business practice.

For me I ignore the headlines about save 80% or save 50%. I search google for a cached copy of the page and find out the real discount I am getting off the regular Logos price rather than the inflated discount from the marketing guys at logos. I found some instances in the October Pastor Appreciation Month where I was really disappointed with Logos for making bold claims about the savings, but the real saving was actually very small, when you compared it to the regular Logos price.   But then there were some real gems.

Logos is more expensive than other products and unfortunately they seem to feel the need to overcompensate when they put on a sale by basing the discount on list price instead of their regular price.

When it comes to any discount offered, even from a retailer offering 'christian focused' product the old caveats, "Buyer beware" and" if its sounds to good to be true, it probably is" always need to be remembered.

For me I don't see they "Christmas credit sale" as all that good an offer from a consumers point of view. If you intended to make a purchase this month, then by all means take advantage of it, but don't do so for the sake of getting a credit.  The first four days of Christmas haven't offered anything for me personally to get excited about.....maybe that will change.

Posts 5315
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 9 2011 1:38 PM

Super Tramp:

You can have this collection for $738 per month for 12 months.

That will include a $4,398 credit for future purchases.

Bottom line is you get $13837.5 or better (If you shop wisely in 2012 you can stretch that credit another $1500 or so.) for 12 payments of $738.

I like this deal so much, I am considering selling my 1974 Mercury Montclair and my pickup truck. Surprise Just say "YES!"

Please do not contact me about my vehicles, this forum is not Crag's list.

I am happy for you if that's an appropriate and responsible thing for you to do...it does not mean it's an appropriate and responsible thing for everyone else to do.  Payment plans are not new,  I use them, but I would not run up this amount of money on payment plans.

The above deal is not what is being suggested users should do on the blog post.  To be quite frank  it is quite irresponsible of you to suggest to users to do something like this...you are only enhancing a negative image of Logos and their motives by making such a suggestion, particularly when you are carrying the Logos MVP logo next to you "name". And then there is the aspect of encouraging a weaker brother or sister to make a financially irresponsible decision.

I cannot fault you on your enthusiasm for Logos Bible Software, but someday's you need to learn to curtail that enthusiasm and really think about before putting finger to keyboard....because you seriously end up doing Logos a dis-service.

...and a word of advice since you already own Portfolio, or have at least indicated you do in the past, this is actually not a really smart deal for you.

Posts 1374
nicky crane | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 10 2011 12:53 AM

Dan DeVilder:

nicky crane:
I don't think this applies to $3 off regular price for Hermeneutics spiral.

yeah, a little underwhelmed, and I already own it.  Kindle version is a bit cheaper.  but I'd take it in Logos any day and it is still cheaper than hardbound on Amazon by about $3. 

It's a great little book.

I missed noticing that you mentioned kindle version, and it didn't show upon internet, but I downloaded a free PDF and sent it to kindle, so I now have a free kindle version!  And PDF if I prefer it in that format!

Posts 1374
nicky crane | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 10 2011 12:57 AM

Andrew, I think Super Tramp had his tongue in his cheek.  Wink 

Page 2 of 3 (55 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next > | RSS