What is more useful in Libronix 3.0g ? (especially compared to Logos 4.5a)

Page 1 of 4 (78 items) 1 2 3 4 Next >
This post has 77 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Posted: Sun, Feb 26 2012 4:36 PM

Follow-up to thread => Color Coding in 4.5 vs 3.g and => REQUEST: DIFFERENT COLORS IN LOGOS 4.5

Wondering what is more useful in Libronix 3.0g ? (especially compared to Logos 4.5a)

For example, Libronix 3.0g has resource license information so know when resource acquired, which is planned for a future Logos 4 (or 5) release.

Libronix 3.0g has "fruitcake" lexicons with black, blue, red and green text => Hyperlink colors Logos 4.5a visual filter highlighting for lots of Bible verses in New Treasury of Scripture Knowledge (NTSK) is slow.  Personally dreaming about datatype(s) to be added to NTSK (and other resources) for primary and secondary sources, which could be used for quick visual filter highlighting.

Libronix 3.0g can read old Personal Book Builder (PBB) resources, which have to be converted to docx for Logos 4.5 Personal Book Tool.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 1616
Ken McGuire | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 26 2012 5:44 PM

If you know what you are doing, the flexibility for key-linking and pop-ups in Libronix is at least cool.  But it is all the old personal books that keep it installed on my current computer.

Libronix is also faster on older computers, at least for some simple things.

The Gospel is not ... a "new law," on the contrary, ... a "new life." - William Julius Mann

L8 Orthodox Silver, Lutheran Starter, Academic Essentials

L7 Lutheran Gold, Anglican Bronze

Posts 25370
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 26 2012 6:09 PM

Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :):
Libronix 3.0g has "fruitcake" lexicons with black, blue, red and green text =

That was overstated by Bob as the colours are managed by the user. Here's my "fruitcake"

The standard Hot colour was Red but you could change each data type to any colour:-

transliterated text = Pink, Strong's & LN = Hot colour, Popup = Grey

Here's my L4 fruitcake:

NOTE: can't affect popup and transliterated text.

The Visual Filter has to be precise to affect all values of a data type:-

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 186
Robert G. Mettler | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 26 2012 6:10 PM

One feature  Libronix had, and  was touted at one time by Logos itself,  was the ability to search in locked resources  if you had them downloaded. This was useful if one had a paper copy of the book and wanted to do a search for something; much easier than trying to find something in multiple volumes if you didn't know exactly where it was. You could then readily go to the hard copy to read. I guess this wasn't too advantageous for Logos, but it did give one the incentive to get the digital resource if you needed to do copy and paste.

Robert

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 26 2012 7:37 PM

Dave Hooton:

Here's my L4 fruitcake:

The Visual Filter has to be precise to affect all values of a data type:-

Thanks Big Smile now have my own Logos 4.5a fruitcake:

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 18854
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 26 2012 11:16 PM

I've been able to come up with a list of quite a number of features that existed in L3 that still haven't been implemented in L4 and where there isn't a satisfactory equivalent in L4 which is as easy as it was to do in L3:

• Fuzzy Search (comes with Power Tools Addin) (Bob says they're planning to bring this back; see here)
  • Custom Serial Resources Associations (comes with Power Tools Addin) (see here)
  • Vocab and Word Lists (this was on the old "missing features" list which seems to have disappeared from http://logos.com/4/missingfeatures)
  • Sermon File (this was on the "missing features" list)
  • Video Resources (this was on the "missing features" list)
  • Illustrations section in Passage Guide (this was on the "missing features" list)
  • Back and Forward History (David Paul was at one time a great advocate for this missing feature: see here and here)
  • Ability to copy book description and other text from About This Resource (cannot copy from Info panel in Logos 4.5; see here)
  • Ability to open multiple prioritized resources when double-clicking a word (see here)
  • Ctrl-Shift > or < keyboard shortcut to increase or decrease resource font size (see here)
  • Open to a designated layout (not merely last layout you closed with) (see here)
  • In L3, Tools > Resources and Collections enabled us to see what collections each resource was part of (this has been requested in L4; not on UserVoice as far as I can tell, and can't find thread on forum)
  • Greek Word Occurrence (I'm not sure I understand how to get this feature to work in L3, but people say it was there in a way that hasn't been replicated as easily yet in L4; see here and here)
  • Ability to know name of current Layout to save changes to it (could do so with loaded workspaces in Logos 3) (see here)
  • Greek Read Aloud feature had speed control in Libronix (see here)
  • Aligned hits in context for Basic Search results (see here and here)

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 26 2012 11:56 PM

Rosie Perera:
I've been able to come up with a list of quite a number of features that existed in L3 that still haven't been implemented in L4 and where there isn't a satisfactory equivalent in L4 which is as easy as it was to do in L3:

Thanks; noticed 16 items in list; albeit appears Logos 4.5a may have one:

Rosie Perera:
Illustrations section in Passage Guide (this was on the "missing features" list)

Rosie Perera:
In L3, Tools > Resources and Collections enabled us to see what collections each resource was part of (this has been requested in L4; not on UserVoice as far as I can tell, and can't find thread on forum)

Wonder about Logos User Voice => Ability to filter the library by collections ?

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 18854
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 27 2012 12:05 AM

Thanks; noticed 16 items in list; albeit appears Logos 4.5a may have one:

Rosie Perera:
Illustrations section in Passage Guide (this was on the "missing features" list)

Ah yes, it appears Logos slipped this one in when I wasn't looking. I was just looking at an old archived version of the "missing features" list from the Internet Archive.

Rosie Perera:
In L3, Tools > Resources and Collections enabled us to see what collections each resource was part of (this has been requested in L4; not on UserVoice as far as I can tell, and can't find thread on forum)

Wonder about Logos User Voice => Ability to filter the library by collections ?

Yes, I'd found that, but somehow thought it wasn't relevant, since it was more about filtering the library. But on second read it is the closest UserVoice request to what L3 used to provide, and it would be even more powerful.

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 27 2012 12:52 AM

Robert G. Mettler:

One feature  Libronix had, and  was touted at one time by Logos itself,  was the ability to search in locked resources  if you had them downloaded. This was useful if one had a paper copy of the book and wanted to do a search for something; much easier than trying to find something in multiple volumes if you didn't know exactly where it was. You could then readily go to the hard copy to read. I guess this wasn't too advantageous for Logos, but it did give one the incentive to get the digital resource if you needed to do copy and paste.

Robert

It would be great if we were able to search any published resource in the cloud in the same way L3 could search locked resources.  It might be an incentive to purchase those resources.

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 10622
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 27 2012 7:03 AM

Wow, thanks Rosie. L3 sure has a lot of functionality; after 6 years I'm still learning (from your list)!

I'm taking advantage of Bob's gracious extension of L3 resources, for the Peshitta in L3 today (hopefully but that Peshitta's pretty sneaky; it's going to be a rough day).

Everyone has their own style of working, but my 'three' biggies are

- Being able to 'arrow' through the left-side TOC quickly, opening and closing sections when I'm looking for something. Similarly for the search panel (L4 has some arrow-ing functionality in the search panel but it's touch and go on my PC anyway).

- Being able to 'copy' without worrying about where I am. This was an old Windows standard that I quickly latched onto. Quite often all I want is a short section from the search, which L3 happily provides; no muss, no fuss.

- And most headache'y to me anyway is the pop-a-top 'surprise me just one more time and you're out of here' resource opening in L4. I operate with four big resource windows, along with two L3 installations, and several other Bible software panels, and L3's resource opening is still nice and courteous. This wouldn't be so 'bad' in L4 except it's not consistent on using the right-click open (in-tab, new tab, float window) which would fix this decently.

"I didn't know God made honky tonk angels."

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 27 2012 7:24 AM

DMB:
- And most headache'y to me anyway is the pop-a-top 'surprise me just one more time and you're out of here' resource opening in L4. I operate with four big resource windows, along with two L3 installations, and several other Bible software panels, and L3's resource opening is still nice and courteous. This wouldn't be so 'bad' in L4 except it's not consistent on using the right-click open (in-tab, new tab, float window) which would fix this decently.

I'm not sure what your problem is with the opening of resources in L4.  Perhaps if I tell you my pet peeve, you can confirm or deny (or add your own).  My problem with L4 is that I like to open my "purely for reading" books in a floating window (by showing the contents panel I know precisely where I am and the lines are shorter to make for easier reading).  The problem is that when I open another resource, after I open my reading panel, it wants to open everything in the floating window which is precisely where I DON'T want it.  Now, your turn.

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 10622
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 27 2012 8:31 AM

Well, actually, my 'pet-peeve' I solved by just opening 50-60 resources all at the same time! What a work around! But if I'm using L4's search, you can't right-click the resource name ... instead you have to just grit your teeth and watch the crash-in-motion, fix it (again) and keep going.

I agree on your frustration. The L4 developers tried to solve the problem by doing what appears to be a match on the book type (e.g. monograph). Unfortunately, if you use Perseus much, their theory doesn't work well. I really don't know why they don't just be consistent about their resource right-click usage. But luckily that's an L4 peeve (no biggie for me).

I will say the forcing of the resource index display is VERY nice in L3. Quite often I'm in a Qumran or Ugarit resource and want to see a specific index, which L3 lets you choose. I DO like that!!

Much of the plus's and minus's are simply one's work flow. Saying 'get used to it' makes sense if you don't do too much.

Well, it's 8:30-ish in Beavertown; I think they have their Monday morning meeting about what to delay about now. Keeping my fingers crossed that Peshitta's not going to get the 2-month-to-fix-it delay.

"I didn't know God made honky tonk angels."

Posts 18854
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 27 2012 11:57 AM

I thought of one more:

Being able to buy resources from within Logos (the current error message showing "you don't own this resource but you could" is lame -- you can't even click on a link to get to that resource on the Logos website from that tab).

Posts 3678
BillS | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 27 2012 12:32 PM

Rosie Perera:

• Fuzzy Search (comes with Power Tools Addin) (Bob says they're planning to bring this back; see here)
  • Custom Serial Resources Associations (comes with Power Tools Addin) (see here)
  • Vocab and Word Lists (this was on the old "missing features" list which seems to have disappeared from http://logos.com/4/missingfeatures)
  • Sermon File (this was on the "missing features" list)
  • Video Resources (this was on the "missing features" list)
  • Illustrations section in Passage Guide (this was on the "missing features" list)
  • Back and Forward History (David Paul was at one time a great advocate for this missing feature: see here and here)
  • Ability to copy book description and other text from About This Resource (cannot copy from Info panel in Logos 4.5; see here)
  • Ability to open multiple prioritized resources when double-clicking a word (see here)
  • Ctrl-Shift > or < keyboard shortcut to increase or decrease resource font size (see here)
  • Open to a designated layout (not merely last layout you closed with) (see here)
  • In L3, Tools > Resources and Collections enabled us to see what collections each resource was part of (this has been requested in L4; not on UserVoice as far as I can tell, and can't find thread on forum)
  • Greek Word Occurrence (I'm not sure I understand how to get this feature to work in L3, but people say it was there in a way that hasn't been replicated as easily yet in L4; see here and here)
  • Ability to know name of current Layout to save changes to it (could do so with loaded workspaces in Logos 3) (see here)
  • Greek Read Aloud feature had speed control in Libronix (see here)
  • Aligned hits in context for Basic Search results (see here and here)

To Rosie's list, I'd add some usability issues that keep L3 on my desktop.

• On Rosie's list,
    Ability to know name of current Layout to save changes to it (could do so with loaded workspaces in Logos 3) (see here)
    I'd add:  save CURRENT workspace without having to know what it is. While it's true that deleting a favorite workspace even once will train us NEVER to do that again, to facilitate it happening even once is one time too many. And if we aren't careful the current software facilitates it EACH time.
  • In Passage Guide, SermonCenctral gets 10 entries each time we hit the web. Current PG gets 5. So each week, I still open L3 at that point in the week's research & use the old PG to browse SermonCentral. It not only saves me time, but the info provided in that section is more useful than the info provided in L4's PG, not to mention being much easier on my hurting wrists & hands. :-)

Grace & Peace,
Bill

Asus GF63 8RD, I-7 8850H, 32GB RAM, 1TB SSD, 2TB HDD, NVIDIA GTX 1050Max
Samsung S9+, 64GB
Fire 10HD 64GB 7th Gen

Posts 10391
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 28 2012 1:55 AM

Rosie Perera:

I thought of one more:

Being able to buy resources from within Logos (the current error message showing "you don't own this resource but you could" is lame -- you can't even click on a link to get to that resource on the Logos website from that tab).

In many cases you can and arrive right at the Logos site of the resource. Due to the website reorg some time ago, a number of resource links don't work, but the website then defaults to a search (unfortunately, they forgot to put the internal resource names somewhere on the pages, so the search may fail nevertheless).

I thought about this for some time and I think, for people with internet access the current solution is better: they can read the resource page, check out the sample pages and the look-into, maybe even find a review (or open Amazon to look for reviews there). Of course this means leaving Logos, but since most of us have a browser open all day long anyway, this makes no big difference (well there is a competitor who simply puts a small internet-browser into a tab - it is somehow nice and works very well with a study bible enhanced by video resources).

For people out in the missionary field or in rural areas who may have an expensive mobile access only or need to travel to a destination where Wifi-coverage exists, the idea to have the resources on a DVD or downloaded from the ftp server and just buy the licence is maybe more than just nice, but this would not require to work from within Logos.

Running Logos 8 latest beta version on Win 10

Posts 18854
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 3 2012 1:31 PM

I learned of yet another:

• Logos 3 can to vowel sensitive Hebrew searching. See this thread.

Posts 242
ROGER JIMENEZ | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 3 2012 6:03 PM

I miss the fastest way to find texts in the Bible (plain text), I mean, the "search while typing," I know that Logos 4 also has it, but is very slow.

Also I miss the weights and measures window.

Without mentioning tools unfinished in L4. Handout for example.

Posts 1204
Ward Walker | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 3 2012 7:26 PM

ROGER JIMENEZ:

I miss the fastest way to find texts in the Bible (plain text), I mean, the "search while typing," I know that Logos 4 also has it, but is very slow.

Also I miss the weights and measures window.

Without mentioning tools unfinished in L4. Handout for example.

For some, L4 is eval'd like:

מְנֵא מְנֵא תְּקֵל וּפַרְסִין׃

Posts 28206
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 3 2012 11:33 PM

The ability to create timelines and harmonies using XML. This is a biggy to me.

The ability to have tables in Notes.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 242
ROGER JIMENEZ | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 4 2012 6:28 AM

MJ. Smith:
The ability to create timelines and harmonies using XML. This is a biggy to me.

Actually, by the time I came to Logos, never worked.

Page 1 of 4 (78 items) 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS