Page 1 of 3 (52 items) 1 2 3 Next >
This post has 51 Replies | 5 Followers

Posts 1
Sam Garcia | Forum Activity | Posted: Sun, Mar 18 2012 5:30 AM

What happened to the NIV 84 being available on Biblia.com?

Posts 5181
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 5 2012 5:49 AM

Sam Garcia:

What happened to the NIV 84 being available on Biblia.com?

Welcome, Sam.

It seems Zondervan now forced Logos to retract NIV 1984 completely in order to push users into NIV 2011. See e.g. this thread: http://community.logos.com/forums/t/48005.aspx

Since I always thought biblia.com went with the iPhone/iPad/Android devices regarding availability (the product site simply calls it "internet"), I wonder whether NIV 1984 is still available on mobile devices?  

running Logos 5.3 Beta 1 (Verbum Master+, Lutheran Silver) on Acer Extensa 5230E with 4GB RAM & 250GB SSD - Win7 Home 32bit & Android apps on Kindle Fire

Posts 9895
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 5 2012 6:13 AM

I can still access the NIV84 on my iPad and Android phone, both in the Logos app and Vyrso

Posts 56
Anthony Grubb | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 15 2012 12:18 AM

NB.Mick:

It seems Zondervan now forced Logos to retract NIV 1984 completely in order to push users into NIV 2011. See e.g. this thread: http://community.logos.com/forums/t/48005.aspx

Looks that way--and I see it as a clear sign of Zondervan's desperation to turn their decisions into good ones (instead of just making good decisions to begin with).  I could go on at length about the questionability of their various decisions from various angles, but they are actually doing several things to distance themselves from their base.  Maybe we should commend them--maybe we need to be distanced from them...  Just a little hard for me since I have a lifelong affinity toward the translation, but time will tell, and I'm set up pretty well.

Posts 2410
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 15 2012 3:58 PM

Anthony Grubb:
Zondervan's desperation

Just to be clear it is the IBS not Zondervan that has retracted 1984, I am sure Zondervan would like nothing better than selling more products not caring too much whether it is 2011 or 1984. Yes I am aware many organizations may update their versions to 2011 but I would suspect a lot of them will commingle them happily for a while anyway...

-Dan

Posts 56
Anthony Grubb | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 16 2012 3:39 AM

Dan Francis:
Just to be clear it is the IBS not Zondervan that has retracted 1984, I am sure Zondervan would like nothing better than selling more products not caring too much whether it is 2011 or 1984.

Uh, yeah, I read that in another forum and actually don't think the clarification is particularly believable--nor for that matter--helpful.  Nevertheless, I grant you the full benefit of the doubt that you shared this with all imaginable charity, so thank you, but I offer some clarifying points of my own (in question form):

What publisher bends their marketing decisions to the whims of the author?  On that tangent, what publisher is known to make sudden changes not conducive to the interests of customers who have invested in them and trusted them for future expansion and a continued protection of their investment? 

The answer to the first question is No publishing company, not even the first resulting one who took Johann Gutenberg to court to posess his presses and his partially completed Bibles--and then later completed publishing them, only recognizing him as the inventor after his death years later.  The answer to the second one may surprise you as well. Blessings!

Posts 1689
Paul-C | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 16 2012 4:05 AM

Does anyone know if we were to buy a Libronix CD-ROM containing the NIV '84 if this would download when Logos activated the licence?  If so, has anyone seen any Libronix bundles containing this resource?  I'm kicking myself for not buying the NIV '84 when I had the chance...

Posts 2410
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 16 2012 10:23 AM

This should work because it is a pre-existing copy, kind of like finding one in a book store.

-Dan

Posts 1689
Paul-C | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 19 2012 10:38 AM

I've just acquired a new licence to use the NIV Anglicised Edition (based on 1984 text) on Logos 4 and note that I cannot access it on biblia.com or on my iPad. Is this the case for everyone else who owns this resource? If it is a publisher licensing issue, does anyone know if it's likely to make its way on to mobile devices? Thanks.

Posts 152
Ryan | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 19 2012 11:29 AM

I have 2011 NIV in Biblia as my only NIV version available in Biblia.com

I have 2011 NIV and 1984 NIV available and downloaded in my Android Logos application

I have 2011 NIV and 1984 NIV available in my Logos4 desktop application

Ownership of the 1984 NIV Bible is a grandfathered product, it is no longer available for purchase. I would however be curious if the license would be subject to the $20 transfer. In other words, it may be possible for someone to purchase a 1984 NIV license from someone who was willing to sell it.

Posts 528
Jonathan Pitts | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 19 2012 11:48 AM

I have an Anglicized NIV which I bought many years ago. I think it came from a third-party CD-ROM rather than directly from Logos. It was published by Hodder and Stoughton rather than by Zondervan, and I am not sure if Logos has any ongoing relationship with them. 

Anyway, it doesn't appear on my iOS app or online, although my NIV 1984 and 2011 do. 

Posts 1689
Paul-C | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 19 2012 12:32 PM

When I checked on the Logos website they do tend to stock older Hodder & Stoughton resources so this does suggest they don't have a strong ongoing relationship. 

If you're listening Logos, it would be great if you could make the NIV Anglicised Edition available on iOS! (I hope the fact that we're likely talking about a small number of users with this NIV edition doesn't mean the plea falls on deaf ears...) 

Posts 1689
Paul-C | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 20 2012 10:35 AM

I emailed Bob this morning to enquire whether Logos could allow the NIV Anglicised Edition to be made available on the iOS app. I had a prompt reply saying my request had been passed to the licensing department to see if this could be done. Thank you, Bob. Yes

Posts 2
Matilda | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 12 2012 11:38 AM

Hi Paul, any updates on this topic?  Have you had a follow up from the licensing department?  I found this thread wondering what happened to my Biblia NIV84...

Thanks.

Posts 1689
Paul-C | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 23 2012 9:19 AM

Hi Matilda. I tweeted the Logos employee dealing with this matter just last week for an update. He said discussions are still ongoing, and he didn't have a date on when it would be made available. When I tweeted him 2 months ago, he was confident it would eventually be made available, he just couldn't confirm when. 

Posts 1
Bill Mullen | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 6 2012 6:07 AM

However, Biblia is not for sale but is free. Therefore how can Zondervan force them not to include NIV 1984? Obviously LOGOS has chosen to submit to Zondervan's whims. LOGOS includes all kinds of aberrant stuff, why not include the NIV 1984, which unlike the 2011 version is not the TNIV in disguise? 

Posts 1
Bill Mullen | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 6 2012 6:12 AM

BibleGateway.com includes the NIV 1984 version. Apparently LOGOS is afraid of the big 'Z'. Who needs Biblia? 

Posts 5181
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 6 2012 6:21 AM

Bill Mullen:
Biblia is not for sale but is free. Therefore how can Zondervan force them not to include NIV 1984?

Biblia as a website is for free, but it shows only a limited number of resources which are either PD, or Logos holds the rights, or the publishers agreed to showing their stuff on the web. It will additionally show those resources from your Logos library where Logos relicenced with the publisher to be allowed to do so (97% of my library, the NIV84 is one of the rare exceptions). Any publisher can force anybody hosting a legitimite website and a business in North America or Europe to stop showing unlicenced content they have the copyright for.  

Bill Mullen:
Obviously LOGOS has chosen to submit to Zondervan's whims.

Obviously they have chosen to operate within the legal framework, which is on the long run a good thing for us customers. 

running Logos 5.3 Beta 1 (Verbum Master+, Lutheran Silver) on Acer Extensa 5230E with 4GB RAM & 250GB SSD - Win7 Home 32bit & Android apps on Kindle Fire

Posts 2946
tom | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 6 2012 6:29 AM

NB.Mick:
Obviously they have chosen to operate within the legal framework, which is on the long run a good thing for us customers. 
Yes

Posts 1689
Paul-C | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 6 2012 9:36 AM

The NIV Anglicised Version (based on the NIV 1984 text) has very recently been made available on Logos' iOS app. It took Logos a little longer to get this resource to mobile devices than the American equivalent. Thank you Logos  Yes Yes Yes

Page 1 of 3 (52 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS