Theology/Denomination Tags

Page 12 of 30 (588 items) « First ... < Previous 10 11 12 13 14 Next > ... Last »
This post has 587 Replies | 40 Followers

Posts 29119
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 2 2013 5:50 PM

Robert G. Bratcher is Southern Baptist
F. E. Brightman is Anglican
Francis de Sales is Catholic

This gets my unclassified list down to 875 i.e. 83 additional books were classified.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 612
John Brumett | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 2 2013 8:14 PM

Grace evangelical society is dispensational.  

Posts 266
JC54 | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 3 2013 12:58 AM

is someone using this info to update the collections at faithlife?

Posts 29119
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 3 2013 1:15 AM

final comments for the day:

Thomas Wright is Anglican http://www.ccel.org/s/schaff/encyc/encyc12/htm/ii.xxvi.xi.htm

the series "A Bible Commentary in the Wesleyan Tradition" seems safely Wesleyan

David Winston is a Jewish rabbi http://www3.nd.edu/~philojud/04.htm

the series "Opening Up Commentary" seems to be Reformed http://www.heritagebooks.org/categories/Commentary/Commentary-Series/Opening-Up-the-Bible/

Walter Wink - progressive (mainstream) Methodist http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/20/us/walter-wink-theologian-who-challenged-orthodoxy-dies-at-76.html?_r=0

Lindsey Williams - Baptist http://www.lindseywilliams.net/about/

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 3942
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 3 2013 6:57 AM

MJ - Added your suggestions, and I am now down to 38 titles in my collection of as of yet un-collected titles.

Thanks!

Johannes Hendrik Menkveld:

is someone using this info to update the collections at faithlife?

I suspect the original author of the thread is the only one who is able to do that. Presuming he is still with us, I think he will make the updates to his rules.

L2 lvl4, L3 Scholars, L4 Scholars, L5 Platinum,  L6 Collectors. L7 Baptist Portfolio. L8 Baptist Platinum.

Posts 2081
Randy W. Sims | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 3 2013 7:52 AM

abondservant:
I suspect the original author of the thread is the only one who is able to do that. Presuming he is still with us, I think he will make the updates to his rules.

Last I talked to Andrew (he found a bug an unnecessary constraint that was imposed on the data layout by the code that generates the rules), a few weeks ago, he was planning to release an update soon. I think he is sometimes away from internet for extended periods of time.

Posts 579
Andrew Baguley | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 3 2013 8:47 AM

Randy W. Sims:

abondservant:

Last I talked to Andrew (he found a bug an unnecessary constraint that was imposed on the data layout by the code that generates the rules), a few weeks ago, he was planning to release an update soon. I think he is sometimes away from internet for extended periods of time.

Apologies for the absence.  That's quite a spate of postings.  I'll try to add all of the above on Saturday, and update the Faithlife page at the same time.  Feel free to keep them coming.

Posts 3942
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 3 2013 7:27 PM

Created a new collection: Lexicon - Coptic, and placed the title: "A Concise Coptic-English Lexicon Second Edition" in it.

Smith, Fred - While I couldn't find any information on what denomination he was as an adult, he grew up southern Baptist

L2 lvl4, L3 Scholars, L4 Scholars, L5 Platinum,  L6 Collectors. L7 Baptist Portfolio. L8 Baptist Platinum.

Posts 97
T. L. Brown | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 3 2013 11:08 PM

You guys have done great work!  I will utilize these tags daily!

Thanks

TLB

Posts 2829
Don Awalt | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 4 2013 4:25 AM

I have a question, sorry if it's dumb but I can't find any help on the topic of using the faithlife documents - if I make a private copy, and the file on faithlife is updated (like these collections may be this weekend thanks to Andrew), do I have to make a new copy or is mine update automatically? Is it an option to just have a "sync'd" copy?

Thanks!

Posts 29119
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 4 2013 1:37 PM

You have to make a new copy I believe.

Posts 407
Ray from Faithlife | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 4 2013 4:48 PM

T. L. Brown:

This is spectacular. I believe many others will use them as well. Would someone be willing to compile the list into a document (or a series of documents) and upload to the Logos Bible Software Group on Faithlife? I'll lobby for some space on the Logos blog to tell the world about the work that you've all put in and the resource that you've created.

RD3

Logos Marketing | ray.deck@logos.com

Posts 3942
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 4 2013 8:01 PM

Don Awalt:

I have a question, sorry if it's dumb but I can't find any help on the topic of using the faithlife documents - if I make a private copy, and the file on faithlife is updated (like these collections may be this weekend thanks to Andrew), do I have to make a new copy or is mine update automatically? Is it an option to just have a "sync'd" copy?

Thanks!

This raises another question. How does one delete collections?

RayDeck3:

T. L. Brown:

This is spectacular. I believe many others will use them as well. Would someone be willing to compile the list into a document (or a series of documents) and upload to the Logos Bible Software Group on Faithlife? I'll lobby for some space on the Logos blog to tell the world about the work that you've all put in and the resource that you've created.

I think think that would be cool - but they are definitely works in progress.

Posts 2575
David Ames | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 5 2013 4:11 AM

abondservant:

This raises another question. How does one delete collections?

Open the collections tool

Right click on the collection that you do not want

Will be asked if you want to Open or Delete it

Posts 3942
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 6 2013 7:45 AM

Thanks David, that did the trick!

Posts 579
Andrew Baguley | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 6 2013 11:58 AM

Please find below the latest copy of the spreadsheet.  I've tried to include as many of the suggestions above as I could find - see responses below for exceptions.

There are a number of other additions, including the Main Country the author worked in and Dates of Birth and Death.  This is still in the very early stages, so the data will be added slowly.  If anyone can suggest a faster method, or is willing to help with this, then it would be greatly appreciated.

There are also additional columns to show where authors have been featured in a selection of biographical works.  This is highly selective and still incomplete.  Additional suggestions and offers to help with this would be welcome.  This should help to indicate the importance of the author, though many important authors do not make it into popular biographical works.

If anyone would be willing to provide data for the Popes that are included as Logos authors, carefully noting how Logos has published their names, then that would be appreciated.  (MJ?)

If anyone would be willing to provide data for the authors in Ante Nicene Fathers (ANF) and Nicene and Post Nicene Fathers (NPNF), carefully noting how Logos has published their names, then that would also be appreciated.  I have removed Jerome for now, as NPNF lists him simply as Jerome, which picks up every author with the first name Jerome.

I've yet to include many of the journals, so help would be appreciated with categorising them as well.

The notes sheet has a new section showing people excluded to avoid confusion.  This applies to the two Thomas Wrights that are not differentiated within Logos.

I've updated the collections available through the Faithlife post at https://faithlife.com/logos-library-theology-denomination-tags/documents, and I've added a few new denominations.  This is the easiest way to get the updates.  It should be automatic for those who have already accessed the collections this way.

Here's a zipped copy of the spreadsheet:

5140.Denominations and Theology.zip

Posts 579
Andrew Baguley | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 6 2013 12:08 PM

MJ. Smith:

Why isn't Witherington, Ben, III classified as a United Methodist? He's ordained as one and teaches at a seminary approved for ...

Westminster Assembly belongs to Anglican and Presbyterian (Church of Scotland) groups.

John Mason Neale is Anglican where he appears as J.M. but not John Mason"

John Peter Lange is Calvinist/German Protestant.

Hmmm ... John Calvin appears in my unclassified groupCool In my ignorance I've made a Denom. Stream collection with Lange and Calvin.

Philip Bence is Wesleyian, as is Clarence Bence, I believe.

Robert G. Bratcher is Southern Baptist

F. E. Brightman is Anglican

Francis de Sales is Catholic

That gets 80+ additional books classified.

I think these suggestions are all now included.  Calvin and Lange are in the Reformed/Calvinist Theology.  I'd be happy if anyone wanted to suggest a suitable subgroup.  I left Westminster Assembly in this group as well.  As the Wikipedia article currently notes, the Westminster Assembly documents were accepted, but later revoked by the Church of England (in 1660), so it seems misleading to include them as Church of England, or even Anglican, especially as other episcopalians (Ussher), presbyterians and congregationalists contributed to writing them.  I've left them as simply Reformed (Calvinist), noting that many later groups have chosen to accept them among their own foundational documents.

Posts 579
Andrew Baguley | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 6 2013 12:10 PM

John Brumett:

Grace evangelical society is dispensational.  

Clearly their founder is dispensational, but I wasn't sure whether the group itself was explicitly dispensational.  Can anyone comment on this, preferably giving a web link?

Posts 579
Andrew Baguley | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 6 2013 12:16 PM

MJ. Smith:

final comments for the day:

Thomas Wright is Anglican http://www.ccel.org/s/schaff/encyc/encyc12/htm/ii.xxvi.xi.htm

the series "A Bible Commentary in the Wesleyan Tradition" seems safely Wesleyan

David Winston is a Jewish rabbi http://www3.nd.edu/~philojud/04.htm

the series "Opening Up Commentary" seems to be Reformed http://www.heritagebooks.org/categories/Commentary/Commentary-Series/Opening-Up-the-Bible/

Walter Wink - progressive (mainstream) Methodist http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/20/us/walter-wink-theologian-who-challenged-orthodoxy-dies-at-76.html?_r=0

Lindsey Williams - Baptist http://www.lindseywilliams.net/about/

Again, these should basically all be included.  However, there are two Thomas Wrights in Logos, so I have not included either, but noted both on the Notes worksheet.

I think the Wesleyan commentaries should be picked up by the Publisher "Beacon", and the Opening Up commentaries should be picked up by the Publisher "Day One".  Please let me know if not, or if I've misunderstood.

I couldn't find Lindsey Williams as an author on the Logos or Vyrso websites.  Is this a Personal Book author?

Posts 579
Andrew Baguley | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 6 2013 12:19 PM

RayDeck3:

T. L. Brown:

Thanks, Ray.  The document containing all of the information is the zipped spreadsheet on the post above.  Feel free to post it elsewhere as you see fit.

Page 12 of 30 (588 items) « First ... < Previous 10 11 12 13 14 Next > ... Last » | RSS