Theology/Denomination Tags

Page 28 of 30 (585 items) « First ... < Previous 26 27 28 29 30 Next >
This post has 584 Replies | 38 Followers

Posts 3108
Forum MVP
PetahChristian | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 23 2016 5:25 AM

Some of us are just learning that the collection filters caches are rebuilt every time the application starts. If Logos could implement some type of theological/denominational tagging, it would certainly speed up the application launch for anyone who values the convenience of these types of collections.

Posts 2351
David Ames | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 23 2016 5:44 AM

PetahChristian:

it would certainly speed up the application launch for anyone who values the convenience of these types of collections.

Question: How often do you use those collections? 

Maybe save the rules in a doc or text file out side of Logos and then rebuild the collection on the rare times that you need it?

Posts 8829
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 23 2016 6:04 AM

PetahChristian:
Some of us are just learning that the collection filters caches are rebuilt every time the application starts. If Logos could implement some type of theological/denominational tagging, it would certainly speed up the application launch for anyone who values the convenience of these types of collections.

I too was thinking that it might be a good idea to post in this thread too. Thanks. I'm especially interested to hear if anyone else who uses these collection rules has experienced an speed/performance issues on switching layouts.

David Ames:

Maybe save the rules in a doc or text file out side of Logos and then rebuild the collection on the rare times that you need it?

I can at least answer your question from my point of view. It has not been often that I have used them. I was also thinking that I might save the rules in a document but it certainly would be more convenience to have them in Logos.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 3108
Forum MVP
PetahChristian | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 23 2016 6:09 AM

David Ames:

I tend to use them on the fly within the library, mostly via the info pane about a resource. I find myself glancing at the resource info a few times a week.

Since computers can accomplish things faster and far more efficiently than we can, I'd rather let the software do it. It's certainly far more convenient for Logos to keep the collection info up to date for me, rather than me having to remember to manually rebuild it.

Posts 3108
Forum MVP
PetahChristian | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 23 2016 6:24 AM

Bruce Dunning:

I too was thinking that it might be a good idea to post in this thread too. Thanks. I'm especially interested to hear if anyone else who uses these collection rules has experienced an speed/performance issues on switching layouts.

I use these collection rules, but my time to switch between layouts is only about 5-10 seconds. I've never seen times in the 1 or 2 minute range that you've reported. I think it probably comes down to the complexity of the layout, and the performance of the machine.

I did notice an improvement once I had switched to using Multiview, but can't provide any numbers for comparison, as I replaced my L6 layouts with new ones for L7.

Posts 13199
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 23 2016 6:45 AM

Bruce Dunning:

I'd be very confident that collection rules don't affect layout switching. I'm fairly sure there's a problem with your layouts.db file, as I mention on the other thread.

Posts 8829
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 23 2016 8:19 AM

Mark Barnes:
I'd be very confident that collection rules don't affect layout switching.

That is good to know. I was just saying this as others thought that collections may be contributing to the issue.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 3937
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 23 2016 8:43 AM

I have been using these collections to tag, and then deleting them. Every now and then I check and see when they were last updated, and re-tag everything.

L2 lvl4, L3 Scholars, L4 Scholars, L5 Platinum,  L6 Collectors. L7 Baptist Portfolio. L8 Baptist Platinum.

Posts 26021
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 23 2016 11:34 AM

I do much as abondservant as the collections build time is problematic.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 579
Andrew Baguley | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 27 2016 10:06 AM

The latest edition of the spreadsheet is: 4314.Denominations and Theology - 26 September 2016.zip

The reference guide is: 0763.Theology and Denomination Tag Reference - 5 April 2016.doc

I have added over 400 more authors, including all those in the latest Collector's Edition.  As always, feel free to make suggestions, corrections, etc. and I'll try to add them as soon as I can.  The Faithlife Group (https://faithlife.com/logos-library-theology-denomination-tags/about) is continuing to grow slowly, and I've updated all the collections available there.

Note that the spreadsheet contains far more information than the collections in the Faithlife Group, but it is too unwieldy to create all the collections that could be created from the data in the spreadsheet.  It also allows bespoke groups such as Female Lutherans, nineteenth-century Anglicans and either sixteenth-century or Catholic.  There are nearly 7000 authors listed, with over 5600 categorised.

Posts 3067
Mattillo | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 27 2016 12:41 PM

Thanks! I took a peak at this and I was surprised there was no theology: premillenial but there was one for amillenial.  Is that tag in the works?

Posts 579
Andrew Baguley | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 27 2016 2:10 PM

Mattillo:

Thanks! I took a peak at this and I was surprised there was no theology: premillenial but there was one for amillenial.  Is that tag in the works?

I'm happy to add it if anyone can find a reliable list of premillennial authors to start it off (or any other theological grouping for that matter).

Posts 8829
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 27 2016 2:46 PM

Andrew Baguley:

Thanks for all your meticulous work to do this. Yes Personally I think it would be amazing if this was incorporated directly into the Logos software but I also know that there are challenges with that.

Posts 2021
GaoLu | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 27 2016 6:39 PM

Bruce Dunning:

Andrew Baguley:

Thanks for all your meticulous work to do this. Yes Personally I think it would be amazing if this was incorporated directly into the Logos software but I also know that there are challenges with that.

Yes  Yes  Yes 

Posts 579
Andrew Baguley | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 28 2017 4:11 AM

Gao Lu:

Bruce Dunning:

Andrew Baguley:

Yes  Yes  Yes 

Thanks for the positive feedback, Bruce and Gao.  I agree that it would be good if Logos took this on properly.  Apart from meaning I wouldn't spend so much time on this, we could also deal with the 21 non-unique names in the spreadsheet, such as William Alexander, Charles Brown and Douglas Campbell, by using unique reference IDs instead of names.  It may also encourage them to de-duplicate, so that people like David John Atkinson and D. Round aren't entered twice.  (Filter spreadsheet subcategory = Not Unique and subcategory = Duplicate.)

Posts 579
Andrew Baguley | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 28 2017 4:52 AM

The latest edition of the spreadsheet is: 5466.Denominations and Theology - 28 January 2017.zip

The reference guide is: 0763.Theology and Denomination Tag Reference - 5 April 2016.doc

Rather than add hundreds of new authors this time, I have mainly been checking the nearly 7000 authors already present against Bibliographical Dictionaries and Encyclopedia entries in Logos resources.  The spreadsheet now records whether the authors are mentioned in works such as the Baptist Encyclopedia, Book of Saints, Jewish Encyclopedia, Lutheran Cyclopedia, SDA Encyclopedia and the massive Cyclopædia of Biblical, Theological, and Ecclesiastical Literature, along with its supplement and addenda (see the spreadsheet notes page for the complete list so far).  This has allowed extra data to be added for existing authors, though it is clear that there is a minor discrepancy in the dates of birth and death for many authors.  I've tended to favour the most recent publication.

I've also added theology categories for amillennialist, premillennialist, postmillennialist, annihilationist, theistic evolutionist and creationist.  The spreadsheet differentiates some young earth and old earth proponents as well.  I'm open to other suggestions, particularly if they are backed up by reliable starter lists of candidates.

As always, feel free to make suggestions, corrections, etc. and I'll try to add them as soon as I can.  I've updated all the collections available through the Faithlife Group as well (https://faithlife.com/logos-library-theology-denomination-tags/about).

Note that the spreadsheet contains far more information than the collections in the Faithlife Group, but it is too unwieldy to create all the collections that could be created from the data in the spreadsheet, such as denominations with fewer authors and bespoke groups such as Female Lutherans, nineteenth-century Anglicans and 'either sixteenth-century or Catholic'.

I would love it if the data here was available directly in Logos, as suggested here (https://logos.uservoice.com/forums/42823-logos-bible-software-7/suggestions/9285627-library-hierarchy-and-filtering), and part of a larger database of biblical issues and stances, as suggested here (https://logos.uservoice.com/forums/42823-logos-bible-software-7/suggestions/17871697-create-a-database-of-biblical-issues-and-stances-w). If you appreciate this project, please consider supporting at least the second of these ideas by clicking the link, signing in and voting.  Thanks.

Posts 928
Matthew | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 28 2017 8:25 AM

I just added votes to both suggestions. I am grateful for all the hard work that has been done with this! 

Posts 579
Andrew Baguley | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 29 2017 6:39 AM

Matthew:

I just added votes to both suggestions. I am grateful for all the hard work that has been done with this! 

Many thanks, Matthew.

Posts 4829
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 3 2017 5:43 PM

PetahChristian:

I don't keep these as permanent collections. I just use the rule to filter my library, tag the resources accordingly and then use the tag as a filter if I require it when running  search.

Posts 3108
Forum MVP
PetahChristian | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 25 2017 5:17 AM

Phil recently posted that FL is discussing how to incorporate Denominations and Theological tagging into Logos:

"This is definitely something we'd like to do. We've been discussing it internally and want to make sure we approach it in the right way. Once we have an agreed-upon approach, it's just a matter of timing when to do the work."

Page 28 of 30 (585 items) « First ... < Previous 26 27 28 29 30 Next > | RSS