Logos4's 'Note File' functionality is missing significant Logos3 functionality

Page 1 of 3 (47 items) 1 2 3 Next >
This post has 46 Replies | 5 Followers

Posts 43
Douglas | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Nov 21 2009 9:06 PM

Logos4's 'Note File' functionality is missing significant Logos3 functionality:

1) In Logos3, I probably had several dozen different Note Files containing scriptures, resource references, etc.. When I selected part or all of a Scripture verse, I was able to direct that selection (or the entire scripture verse or verses) to any one of those Note Files. Now it seems that I can only direct it the latest open Note File (or something like that). Also, I cannot seem to select only part of a verse to direct the entire verse to a Note File.

2) In addition, in Logos3 a left sidebar appeared in a Note File giving a summary of the scripture verses / resources in a given Note File. In Logos4 that sidebar is gone showing only all of the scripture verse and comment text... too much to text to scroll through and look at easily (at least to get a quick view of what is in the Note File) since I can have dozens of entries in each Note File.

3) It was easier to 'order' Note File entries in Logos3 because Logos3 provided 'move up/down' buttons for them. In Logos4, the entries can be mouse-dragged around, but not beyond the top/bottom boundaries of the Note File window, since the window view won't scroll up/down when dragging. I am forced to scroll the Note File sidebar before dragging further.

4) I cannot seem to create hyperlinks in Note File entry comments as in Logos3. The Logos3 Note File functionality had a handy button that updated ALL scripture verses found in a given Note File entry's comments to hyperlinks in just one click. This seems to be missing in Logos4.

----------

New things I admittedly like:

1) When adding a Note to a Note File, the scripture verses are automatically ordered in the Note File, instead of simply being added to the list bottom.

2) I like being able to see an entire view of the Note File's contents, much like the missing Logos3 "Note File Summary" functionality. However, as I mentioned, I still want to be able to see a left sidebar Note File entry summary and be able to view only one entry's contents at a time.

Posts 1731
Robert M. Warren | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 22 2009 12:30 PM

iI also miss #4 (hyperlinks button). In L4 If you paste text with passage references, it seems it only generates the hyperlink for the passage(s) that are either in the last sentence of the paragraph (after pressing the Enter key) or are the first reference in any line made by text wrapping in the note. In any case, it is inconsistent.

In L3, the button would do all of them (for the most part).

Is there something Douglas and I are missingi

Posts 43
Douglas | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 26 2009 10:06 AM

Is there any ETA for when the Logos4 Note File functionality will be updated to be as good as the Logos3 Note File functionality?

Posts 301
Jerry Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 26 2009 12:35 PM

I join this "wait" for the functionality of v3 . . . it's the main thing keeping me from using v4 regularly. My note files in v3 are extensive to articles, hyperlinks to PDFs and Word documents that I use ALL the time. I'm continually indexing journal articles as I read and they become a tremendous resouces when you find yourself at a particular verse and there are several note files to articles you've read (and forgotten you've read!) and they now become fresh resources! From what I've seen with v4, I'm expecting excellent things when Notes/Hyperlinks/Favorites become funcational. Logos4 is excellent in so many things, e.g., searching, reports, etc. I'm anxious to use it everyday!

Posts 2698
DominicM | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 26 2009 1:55 PM

I only have two gripes about Logos 3 and 4 and the biggest is the inadequacy of notes within the software

Let me say I love how the searches now show your notes as well, this for me has been a major improvement in the right direction.

I long to bring my notes back within the software, but am sadly resigned  to the fact it may never happen, for me the notes are fine/adequate for basic text notes but thats all, I have pleaded unsucessfuly for more functionality since it was changed from HTML to RTF (back in v2 days).

I have pleaded many times for better notes, and in the end wrote my own HTMLnotes program. I still use L4 notes, but only to hyperlink back to my external notes document, but with the upside of having color,tables, and images.

I may in the future make the program publicly available, but not at present, there is still hope for enhancement, as we havent reached the end of the development cycle.

BTW the second is the abscence of Sentence DIagramming (Which I know is slated to appear later in 2010)

Never Deprive Anyone of Hope.. It Might Be ALL They Have

Posts 2964
tom | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 19 2010 8:05 PM

DouglasMarkevich:
Logos4's 'Note File' functionality is missing significant Logos3 functionality

If you ask me, it tells me a lot about v4.  One of the things that a lot of people said needed to be improved is the note functionality.  In the current version of v4, we don't even have the functionality found in v3 (like the rest of v4 - again, just my opinion).

Posts 9118
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 19 2010 8:20 PM

DouglasMarkevich:
Is there any ETA for when the Logos4 Note File functionality will be updated to be as good as the Logos3 Note File functionality?

You can search the forum and find lots of posts about the note files. I think most of us would like to have at least the functionality of Logos 3 notes in Logos 4, else, how is Logos 4 an upgrade? With as much as the deficiencies of notes in Logos 3 was harped on, we'd hope Logos would have heard and responded with a better product. Right now it is dumbed down and less functional.

I don't recall hearing Logos making too many promises about notes and when things would occur, so it would be nice to get an 'official' update and response to the concerns.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 2964
tom | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 19 2010 8:27 PM

Mark A. Smith:
I don't recall hearing Logos making too many promises about notes and when things would occur

Bob did not say when things would get better with notes, but Bob did say this:

Bob Pritchett:
I Let me start by saying we ARE improving notes in the next release, and implementing many of the most commonly requested features.

Here is where he said it: http://community.logos.com/forums/t/242.aspx

Posts 9118
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 19 2010 8:32 PM

tom collinge:

That was back before Logos 4 was delivered, not afterward. So what he promised and what was delivered ended up being very different things.

I think it would be good to hear some specifics not generalities and some estimate of how long we need to wait. This issue is the one keeping some folks from using Logos 4. Inquiring minds want to know.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 323
Doug | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 20 2010 7:12 AM

Personally, I hope that everyone continues to voice an opinion on this on.  Maybe the Logos development team will listen.   I think something that needs to be made clear here is that our notes are resources too.  In fact, they may be our most important resources.  For me, my notes represent my synthesis of all of the material I've absorbed while studying.  They are the fruit of countless hours of studying, mulling things over, tearing things apart and putting them back together, looking up definitions and morphologies . . .etc.  L4 should be a place that I can store and present those notes alongside my other resources.  The notes function should give me a lot of the same features as OneNote.  I want to be able to format, rearrange, organize, and place graphics in the notes.  This is a research program that is very good in most respects but even at its best (L3), the notes function has just barely been usable.  Please, please, please LOGOS, please listen to us on this issue.  Let's make the notes function a first-class feature of this first-class program.

Posts 147
Scott H. Clark | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 20 2010 7:48 AM

DouglasMarkevich:
3) It was easier to 'order' Note File entries in Logos3 because Logos3 provided 'move up/down' buttons for them. In Logos4, the entries can be mouse-dragged around, but not beyond the top/bottom boundaries of the Note File window, since the window view won't scroll up/down when dragging. I am forced to scroll the Note File sidebar before dragging further.

I guess I am missing something.  I can't "mouse drag" my notes up or down either.  I am stuck with the default order which appears to be the order I entered them.  Am I missing some procedure that will allow me to move them?  Also, I'd love to see more functionality in the notes in future releases.  The more flexible these are the better. 

Posts 323
Doug | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 20 2010 10:04 AM

Scott Howard Clark:
I guess I am missing something.  I can't "mouse drag" my notes up or down either.  I am stuck with the default order which appears to be the order I entered them.  Am I missing some procedure that will allow me to move them?  Also, I'd love to see more functionality in the notes in future releases.  The more flexible these are the better. 

I have been able to do this.  I'm not sure why you wouldn't be able to. 

Posts 5615
Todd Phillips | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 20 2010 10:08 AM

Doug:

Scott Howard Clark:

I have been able to do this.  I'm not sure why you wouldn't be able to. 

I can't drag notes to rearrange either.  But I used to be able to...could this be a problem with the beta that I'm running?

Wiki Links: Enabling Logging / Detailed Search Help - MacBook Pro (2014), ThinkPad E570

Posts 147
Scott H. Clark | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 20 2010 10:08 AM

Okay, I am using Beta 5. . . I wonder if that is a beta issue.  In any case, it make the notes very hard to sift through.

Posts 5615
Todd Phillips | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 20 2010 10:10 AM

Scott Howard Clark:

Okay, I am using Beta 5. . . I wonder if that is a beta issue.  In any case, it make the notes very hard to sift through.

Ok, confirmation...I'm going to say it's a bug with the beta. :-)

http://community.logos.com/forums/t/10163.aspx

Wiki Links: Enabling Logging / Detailed Search Help - MacBook Pro (2014), ThinkPad E570

Posts 323
Doug | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 20 2010 3:25 PM

Yep, just checked.  I can still do this in SR3.

Posts 569
J. Morris | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 20 2010 3:36 PM

Can I hyperlink a clipping to a note file? (i.e. put a hyper link in a note-file that points to a clipping(s))

-I prefer clippings over notes at this point (because I can edit the pasted text, add tags, notes are more manageable IMO)

I obviously can NOT put any kind of marker in the text where I past a clipping from (MAJOR drawback for clippings), but I need to, so I thought I'd just post a note to the text (in order to have a visual marker) and then add a hyperlink IN the note that points to the clipping.

-Is this all just wishful thinking on my part, or is it a possibility?

- Is there an ETA on when hyperlinking is going to be more functional?

---------------------------------------------------------

- I agree with the other posts.  I know they don't really want to develop notes/clippings much more than it already is, but I sure wish they would... 

-The idea that "there are better programs (like word processors) that do this" is obvious, but I want to keep my Bible study material IN my Bible study program!

Posts 2964
tom | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 20 2010 5:43 PM

Jeremiah Daniel Morris:
I want to keep my Bible study material IN my Bible study program!

Same here.  

If we need to use a different program, then Logos should be able to include those files in its index and be able to link to the program data files.

Posts 3711
Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 22 2010 9:46 AM

I am adding my voice to the chorus. It was great to be able to choose to send a note to any set, to see a list of entries and to sort canonically or alphabetically.

A case in point: I found a paragraph I wanted to add to my topical notes. Question: do I already have an entry on this subject that I could add the paragraph to? I can't see a list to quickly answer the question and the order is no longer alphabetical but in order of creation. Should I do a text search? What a bother!

Anyway, I join the many who express appreciation and want to encourage the Logos staff while also recognizing that I spend a LOT OF TIME seeking answers and technical support for everyday use of Logos 4. And it's not just because it's new. I have used many different kinds of softwares over the years and I have a fair sense of the learning curve involved in a software.

I am also concerned about what the effect would be on potential new users who are doing homework to determine which Bible software to use. They don't have the loyalty of long time Logos users. I know that if I was considering several programs and found out such a massive report of problems on the company's website, it would turn me off and I would probably opt for something else.

A post recently said that attention could now be redirected to prepubs. I await eagerly one of my prepubs, but I think that Logos 4 health issues are a far greater need and priority.

Posts 2964
tom | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 22 2010 10:21 AM

Francis:
A post recently said that attention could now be redirected to prepubs. I await eagerly one of my prepubs, but I think that Logos 4 health issues are a far greater need and priority.

Francis, I totally agree with your statement.  I too would like my prepubs yesterday, but I would rather have a program that I can use.

Page 1 of 3 (47 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS