Pronunciation Problems?

Page 1 of 2 (27 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 26 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 618
Ryan | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Nov 16 2012 8:31 AM

Hi All,

Quick question for you. In my Logos 4 when I was in the Bible Word Study menu (or even from the right click menu on the lemma) I was able to hear the Greek word pronounced. However, I just upgraded to Logos 5 and when I try to get the word to pronounce it says "unable to play pronunciation audio."

I was just curious if something changed?

Posts 21914
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 16 2012 8:40 AM

Hi Ryan

Strange - I've just tried it and it worked.

But I seem to remember some discussion about this

Graham 

Posts 13358
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 16 2012 9:29 AM

Ryan B.:
I just upgraded to Logos 5

Can you confirm that there are no updates to download (type update now in the command box to check), and that indexing has finished. If this is the case, enable logging, then start Logos and try and pronounce some audio, then upload your logs (see 'How to ask for help', below). There's a tiny handful of other people who've experienced this problem before, but unfortunately none of them that I could see explained how it was fixed.

Posts 618
Ryan | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 16 2012 9:37 AM

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the response, I should have been more precise, I just upgraded to Logos 5 meaning this morning. I've had it now for about 8 hours (just finished watching your video by the way. Really appreciated that. It was incredibly helpful.)

I have double checked the indexing and updates and everything is good. I restarted the program and tried again but still no luck.

Attached are my log files (I hope I did it right).

Thanks,

Ryan

0020.Log Files.zip

Posts 21914
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 16 2012 10:39 AM

Hi Ryan

Your logfile has:

2012-11-16 18:32:17.2934 1 Info PronunciationUtility Playing MP3 pronunciation of 'Ἰησοῦς' from 'GreekLemmasErasmian'.

2012-11-16 18:32:17.2934 1 Info SoundUtility Converting mp3 to wav.

2012-11-16 18:32:17.3064 1 Error SoundUtility Unable to read mp3: NAudio.MmException: NoDriver calling acmFormatSuggest

at NAudio.MmException.Try(MmResult result, String function)

at NAudio.Wave.Compression.AcmStream.SuggestPcmFormat(WaveFormat compressedFormat)

at NAudio.Wave.AcmMp3FrameDecompressor..ctor(WaveFormat sourceFormat)

at NAudio.Wave.Mp3FileReader..ctor(Stream inputStream)

at Libronix.Utility.Windows.SoundUtility.ConvertMp3ToWav(Stream stream)

2012-11-16 18:32:17.3064 1 Warn PronunciationUtility Could not convert MP3 of 'Ἰησοῦς' from 'GreekLemmasErasmian' to WAV.

From discussions of this error on the Internet it appears that you are missing a required codec or other component. But unless someone else can clarify this suggest we need some input from Logos. I would contact Customer Services and reference this thread. Graham 

Posts 13358
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 16 2012 11:28 AM

The log files are great. As Graham says, they point to a codec error - probably that you're missing the Fraunhofer IIS MPEG Layer-3 Codec which comes with Windows. This might help http://www.looprecorder.de/tut_l3codec.php - although you shouldn't need step 1.

Posts 618
Ryan | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 16 2012 1:01 PM

Hello All,

Per Graham's advice I called tech support and spent about 2 hours with them as we went through all kinds of possibilities. (One of the possibilities was what you mentioned Mark with the MPEG Codec). Nothing seemed to work. They said there are a few of us with this problem. Luckily I had my start up chime turned to "off" otherwise I could be like several others who have their program crash on start up. My situation progressed through Levels 1 and 2 and information was taken for a Developer to review. I was told I can expect to receive a status update about what exactly the problem is within 48 hours but with the weekend coming that could be pushed to Tuesday (the 20th). If they have to write a new patch, the solution could be a little ways off. I have no problems with waiting for that patch, it's just the fact that the cause is unknown that's driving me nuts.

I'll be sure to update the thread when I hear back from tech support.

I appreciate all yours (and tech support's) help.

and that most of us with this problem had the chime set to "on" and t

Posts 21914
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 16 2012 2:16 PM

Hi Ryan

Thanks for the update - hope it is sorted soon.

Graham

Posts 13358
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 18 2012 3:18 PM

You don't happen to have the version of Windows that comes without Media Player installed, do you? If so, that would cause the problem. There's more information here, to see if that applies to you: http://windows.microsoft.com/is-IS/windows7/products/What-is-Windows-7-N-edition

You can reinstall Media Player from http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=16546

Posts 777
Brisa Davis | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 20 2012 6:40 PM

This issue has been fixed in 5.0a Release Candidate 1.

Posts 618
Ryan | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 20 2012 10:22 PM

That's great to hear Brisa. Any idea on what was causing the problem?

Posts 777
Brisa Davis | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 27 2012 11:29 AM

You can get some details here: http://community.logos.com/forums/t/59134.aspx

I am not familiar enough with the issue to get very specific, but from what I understand if the MP3 sound files couldn't be converted to WAV the program would crash playing the start up sound. In your particular case, the program was handling the failure more graciously by providing an error message rather than crashing. 

Posts 618
Ryan | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 1 2012 1:41 AM

I'd like to hear from others with this same problem but I'm running the latest version 5.0a SR-1 (5.0.1.0241)  and still can't play the audio. I was supposed to hear back from Logos 2 weeks ago but still haven't heard anything. I'll be calling them back when their offices are open.

Posts 777
Brisa Davis | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 4 2012 3:19 PM

Were you able to get this issue fixed?

If not, would you mind uploading logs of the error occurring again? Are you getting the same error message that you were getting before ("Unable to play pronunciation audio.")?

Posts 618
Ryan | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 5 2012 12:44 AM

Hi Brisa, unfortunately I still haven't been able to get it fixed. The advice I've been given from logos is to try (in the following order):

1. Reinstall .NET 4.5

2. Reinstall Windows

3. Buy a European version of Windows 7 or upgrade to Windows 8

I tried step one and that didn't work. I'm very hesitant to do step two because playing the audio is not worth the 30 hours or so it would take me to reinstall all my programs and settings after a new windows install. And step three seems a bit drastic just to fix an audio problem.

I don't understand what changed from Logos 4 to 5 to cause this. I had no problems in 4 and I have no other system sound problems.

0827.Logos.log

Posts 13358
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 5 2012 9:38 AM

Ryan B.:
Buy a European version of Windows 7 or upgrade to Windows 8

Have you tried installing the Media Feature pack, as I suggested above?

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=16546

Posts 618
Ryan | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 5 2012 9:45 AM

Hi Mark,

My Windows did come with the Media Player already installed. But I did try to reinstall it following your link but it kept saying "Not applicable to your computer"

Posts 777
Brisa Davis | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 5 2012 10:07 AM

I have passed your log on to the Development department for investigation. 

Posts 13358
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 5 2012 10:40 AM

Ryan B.:
My Windows did come with the Media Player already installed. But I did try to reinstall it following your link but it kept saying "Not applicable to your computer"

Thanks for trying. Sorry it didn't help.

Posts 618
Ryan | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 5 2012 10:53 AM

Of course. I'm grateful for you taking the time to lend your advice.

Page 1 of 2 (27 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS