Index of Logos Maps??

Page 1 of 2 (23 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 22 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 362
Wyn Laidig | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Nov 23 2012 6:30 PM

How can I find an list of all the Logos maps in Bible Facts??

Posts 8958
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 23 2012 7:16 PM

Wyn, there isn't one. In L4 we were given a note file of the maps exclusive to Bible Places. That file no longer works as the linking data has changed. I think eventually we'll get a new one. Others would like it.

You do know that many of the maps are from your other resources, so an index would not include those.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 18204
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 23 2012 8:06 PM

Even though there isn't an index of all the maps, you can do a search for all maps in your Library using this syntax (which is shown in the helpful new Search hints feature):

#image ANDEQUALS tag:map

Note that this will only include maps that are in resources in your library, thus it will not include the maps that are in the Biblical Places dataset. The only way to access those is through Biblical Facts, though Biblical Facts will also access maps that are in library resources.

Related to your question, it would be awesome if Logos would provide basic browsing access to all the data in Biblical Facts (i.e., an index to all People, Places, Things, and Events in the datasets), so we can discover all that is in there without having to know a particular term to search for.

Also, I'd like to see a key somewhere that explains what each of the possible icons in Biblical Facts means (most of them one can figure out from context):

Posts 1348
Edwin Bowden | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 23 2012 8:22 PM

Rosie Perera:

Even though there isn't an index of all the maps, you can do a search for all maps in your Library using this syntax (which is shown in the helpful new Search hints feature):

#image ANDEQUALS tag:map

Note that this will only include maps that are in resources in your library, thus it will not include the maps that are in the Biblical Places dataset. The only way to access those is through Biblical Facts, though Biblical Facts will also access maps that are in library resources.

Related to your question, it would be awesome if Logos would provide basic browsing access to all the data in Biblical Facts (i.e., an index to all People, Places, Things, and Events in the datasets), so we can discover all that is in there without having to know a particular term to search for.

Also, I'd like to see a key somewhere that explains what each of the possible icons in Biblical Facts means (most of them one can figure out from context):

Rosie, I'm amazed that there is something about Logos that I knew that you didn't.

I just found today in a video (I think it was by Mark Barnes), that your ??? are Groups of people.

Thre is a separate icon for named Females (red or pink in color).

Posts 683
LogosEmployee
Sean Boisen | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 24 2012 12:14 PM

Sorry that those links no longer work: I've filed a bug report. For the record, the previous links were based on logos4:Places;, but in Logos 5, people, places, and things are all in the Bible Facts tool. So the new base is logos4:Facts;. (but i'm hoping we can make the old links work again in a future release)

I haven't yet been able to create an updated set of links: there may be some other issues going on. I'll try to post back here with a revised list when i have one that works with Logos 5.

Posts 2639
Doc B | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 24 2012 12:23 PM

Sean Boisen:

Sorry that those links no longer work: I've filed a bug report. For the record, the previous links were based on logos4:Places;, but in Logos 5, people, places, and things are all in the Bible Facts tool. So the new base is logos4:Facts;. (but i'm hoping we can make the old links work again in a future release)

I haven't yet been able to create an updated set of links: there may be some other issues going on. I'll try to post back here with a revised list when i have one that works with Logos 5.

Excellent!

My thanks to the various MVPs. Without them Logos would have died early. They were the only real help available.

Faithlife Corp. owes the MVPs free resources for life.

Posts 12671
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 24 2012 12:39 PM

Edwin Bowden:
I just found today in a video (I think it was by Mark Barnes), that your ??? are Groups of people.

That's right. There are also several different icons used for places, depending on what type of place it is.

• Cities have a castle
  • Regions have a pin
  • Natural features (mountains, rivers, lakes, etc.) have a mountain

Posts 18204
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 24 2012 1:04 PM

Mark Barnes:

Edwin Bowden:

That's right. There are also several different icons used for places, depending on what type of place it is.

• Cities have a castle
  • Regions have a pin
  • Natural features (mountains, rivers, lakes, etc.) have a mountain

Thanks for the explanation. It would still be nice if Logos had a key to all of these icons somewhere within the software. Sean?

Posts 683
LogosEmployee
Sean Boisen | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 24 2012 3:53 PM

I can give you the non-pictorial, probably mostly complete version (but i don't have easy access to the graphic files). These descriptions probably don't represent exactly what the graphic designer actually had in mind Smile

• flag: event
  • people
    • blue weeble: male individual
    • pink weeble: female individual
    • grey weeble: supernatural being
    • cluster of 3 tiny gold weebles: group of people
  • places
    • brown gate: city
    • green mountain: mountains, bodies of water, rivers, valleys
    • orange building with capitals: roads
    • grey pin: region
  • grey pot: things

I agree that would be useful to have a legend: i'll pass that suggestion along to our design group. Just don't ask me to explain the origin of the icons for Guides and Tools Huh?

Posts 362
Wyn Laidig | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 24 2012 8:29 PM

Sean Boisen:
So the new base is logos4:Facts;.

I am not how to find this note file, or where to type this "logos4:facts" line.  Will this help me find a list of maps?   If so, can someone more versed in this give me some more direction?  Thanks!

Posts 8958
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 24 2012 9:02 PM

Wyn Laidig:
I am not how to find this note file

Wyn, the file we've referred to does not work in L5. It was created for and works in L4. Since you are running L5 you will need to wait until someone at Logos can update the file. I wouldn't expect that before the first of the year and probably a bit after that as they have a of more more important things to do.

You cannot find a list of the maps in the Bible Facts tool right now.

Wyn Laidig:
where to type this "logos4:facts" line.

This is not something you and I can use to find maps. It is part of what will have to be corrected in the old note file for it to work with the New Bible Facts tool.

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 18204
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 25 2012 2:14 AM

Sean Boisen:
I agree that would be useful to have a legend: i'll pass that suggestion along to our design group.

Thanks! That will help others explore and learn the product in the future...

Sean Boisen:
Just don't ask me to explain the origin of the icons for Guides and Tools Huh?

Um, yeah. Some of them are quite...interesting.

Everyone, quick, out of context, would you be able to guess what these refer to? Some kind of games for kids?

= bubbles?

= a loopy roller coaster?

= an upside-down sippy cup?

= backwards musical notes, or a pitch-n-put golf course?

I'm just joshing. I'd find it pretty hard to make up icons for all the tools in Logos. So kudos to the graphic design group.

Posts 8368
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 25 2012 4:36 AM

Rosie Perera:

Sean Boisen:
I agree that would be useful to have a legend: i'll pass that suggestion along to our design group.

Thanks! That will help others explore and learn the product in the future...

Sean Boisen:
Just don't ask me to explain the origin of the icons for Guides and Tools Huh?

Um, yeah. Some of them are quite...interesting.

Everyone, quick, out of context, would you be able to guess what these refer to? Some kind of games for kids?

= bubbles?

= a loopy roller coaster?

= an upside-down sippy cup?

= backwards musical notes, or a pitch-n-put golf course?

I'm just joshing. I'd find it pretty hard to make up icons for all the tools in Logos. So kudos to the graphic design group.

I'll bite....

Bubbles? No, I'd guess a block of swiss cheese Big Smile

A loopy roller coaster? No, I'd guess an early Christian writing the fish symbol but nervous that someone antagonistic to "The Way" was watching so they put a hook on the end to look like they were just doodling Big Smile

An upside-down sippy cup? No, I'd guess a canon Big Smile

Backwards musical notes or a pitch-n-put golf course? No, I'd guess a section of a zipper Big Smile

Seriously, it must be hard work to come up with these. I'd love to be a bug on a wall listening to the design team brainstorm ideas. Idea

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 18204
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 26 2012 1:16 AM

Bruce Dunning:

Bubbles? No, I'd guess a block of swiss cheese Big Smile

A loopy roller coaster? No, I'd guess an early Christian writing the fish symbol but nervous that someone antagonistic to "The Way" was watching so they put a hook on the end to look like they were just doodling Big Smile

An upside-down sippy cup? No, I'd guess a canon Big Smile

Backwards musical notes or a pitch-n-put golf course? No, I'd guess a section of a zipper Big Smile

Hee hee! Great guesses.

The answers are:

Execrable Guide

Bible Nonsense Lexicon

Lowlighting Tool

Timeout

Posts 777
Brisa Davis | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 22 2013 5:24 PM

Mark Smith:
In L4 we were given a note file of the maps exclusive to Bible Places. That file no longer works as the linking data has changed.

The issue of some L4 links not working in Logos 5 will be fixed in 5.0b RC 1 for beta users, and in general when 5.0b RC 1 ships to the stable channel.

Posts 8958
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 22 2013 7:24 PM

Great.

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 4625
RIP
Milford Charles Murray | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 24 2013 4:14 PM

Mark Smith:

Great.

Sean Boisen's Logos Maps Links Note File now works perfectly for me!                     Thank you, Sean!             Thank you, Logos!

Philippians 4:  4 Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice. 5 Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand..........

Posts 7
Jacob Wa | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 13 2013 12:30 PM

How do you open the note file?

Posts 26248
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 13 2013 12:54 PM

Jacob Wa:
How do you open the note file?

As per above:

Mark Smith:
Wyn, the file we've referred to does not work in L5.

OSX & iOS | Mac Logs | PC LogsInstall

Posts 7
Jacob Wa | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 13 2013 1:22 PM

Brisa Davis said the links were fixed in 5.0b RC1, and Milford said he was able to open the file. I'm assuming this means that the file has been fixed, I'm just unsure on how to open it?

Page 1 of 2 (23 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS