Timeframe for full implementation of Logos 4 Mac?

Page 5 of 6 (104 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 Next >
This post has 103 Replies | 13 Followers

Posts 2778
J.R. Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 6 2010 9:51 AM

Yeah Gary, then you can make sure we hit the 6 month mark and wont have to eat crow :-)

My Books in Logos & FREE Training

Posts 34
Gary Byrd | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 6 2010 9:54 AM

LOL ... I guess I deserved that ...

Again, I apologize if my remarks were offensive to anyone they were not intended that way. Its just that I do realize how great of an undertaking building an app like Logos 4 really is.

Perhaps what i have not taken into account is the development team of L4M. I made assumptions based purely on what I see in the alpha releases. I am quite certain that the developers that Logos has employed for this great task are more than qualified and motivated.

I take back my 18 - 24 month time frame ;)

Posts 1861
LogosEmployee
Tom Philpot (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 6 2010 10:29 AM

No offense taken. Just a little more "motivation" to make the greatest Bible study software for Mac ever created.

Mobile Development Team Lead

Posts 14
Tommy Turnbow | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 6 2010 1:17 PM

You remarked that Vista drove you to Mac which turned out to be a blessing in disguise.  Is it legal for a Mac user to say "Mega dittos on that!"?  If so, I'll say it, otherwise you never heard it from me!

Posts 10671
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 6 2010 2:38 PM

Tommy Turnbow:
 Is it legal for a Mac user to say "Mega dittos on that!"?

He is a Mac user, after all, but don't tell everyone.

Posts 316
Thinking | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 6 2010 5:07 PM

Actually just a blessing. No disguise!

Posts 2778
J.R. Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 6 2010 5:46 PM

Hi Gary, I think you read some sarcasm into my comment I did not intend. Twice now you have apologized if your comments were offensive, so please let me assure you they were not offensive in any way. You were just sharing your educated guess on development. There is no shame in that brother. And I was totally serious in my last comment as well. I am looking for a win win! Logos needs skilled developers, you have skills. If you were right in your timeline, then join the Logos team and make sure we reach the 6 month timeline. Users, like me, win for getting it faster, and you wont need to eat crow for guessing to long since your skills would have helped speed up the timeline. That is a win all around!!! :-)

My Books in Logos & FREE Training

Posts 3
Thomas Waters | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 12 2010 6:21 PM

Unfortunately many people are complaining, so let me toss in my sincere "Thank You."  I originately started my experience with "CD Word" produced by Dallas Theological Seminary,  Partially panicked when i read that Dallas Theological was dropping or selling the CD Word, until I talked either to you or the other half of your staff during those early days.  Both of you were working out of a basement.  You heard of my concern, and assured me that when you were ready with the new LOGOS Produce, you would grandfather me in.  Every since then, you have allowed me to fly at no cost, until I recently upgraded, which I am very thankful.  I also recently upgraded from PC to MAC, and I am very appreciative that I have a working MAC "alpha" version to work with while you guys continue to master the MAC coding.  I am less than 3 months from turning to 70 years of age, so don't take too long.  <grin> 

Thank you, and thank you again.

Thomas R Waters Jr

Posts 2
Dr. Sandy Douglass | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 27 2010 6:12 AM

I've been using Logos a long time, too!  I bought my first program while at Asbury Theological Seminary (1995-1997) on the recommendation of Dr. Ben Witherington III.  I've loved it, even more than Hermanuetica, which I tried for a while.

I hate Mac always being the "red-headed step-child," but that may also be the reason why the virus people leave us alone.  I'm sure the team will get us up to speed ASAP.

Do you guys have someone who can help us run a Windows version in a partition?

Thanks,

Sandy Douglass

Posts 10671
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 27 2010 7:19 AM

Sandy Douglass:
Do you guys have someone who can help us run a Windows version in a partition?

Are you wanting to run Windows on your Mac? You can use an emulator to create a virtual machine. This would allow you to run both Mac and Windows at the same time on the same computer.  There are three of these available: 1) Parallels 5 (see the second link in my signature for setup hints), 2) VMWare Fusion 3, and 3) Virtual Box. Parallels and Fusion are commercial products, and either one will give good service. I know nothing about Virtual Box.

As an alternative, you can create a Boot Camp partition and run either Mac or Windows, but not both at the same time. Its advantage is that it will run Windows faster. 

If you have further questions, you should start a new thread as your post could easily be lost in this very old, long dead thread.

Posts 18
Kevin Rossen | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 28 2010 9:49 AM

I'm running XP in VirtualBox on my MacBook Pro with Snow Leopard. Logos 4 seems to work just fine for my setup.

Posts 316
Thinking | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 29 2010 6:28 AM

I have never been able to get the program to run under VMware. I tried again this morning with the latest beta. Still no success. I have done many different types of tries, but for some reason, it gives me an error message, invites me to sent the info to Windows, and quits.

Posts 1539
Terry Poperszky | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 29 2010 6:37 AM

Phil Mills:

I have never been able to get the program to run under VMware. I tried again this morning with the latest beta. Still no success. I have done many different types of tries, but for some reason, it gives me an error message, invites me to sent the info to Windows, and quits.

Phil, I looked at your posts and could see where you started a thread on that problem. Why not start that thread, gives us the specs and versions of the software you are using and let us take a stab at getting you up and running?

Posts 316
Thinking | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 30 2010 5:23 AM

Good idea, I will try again.

Posts 1
Robert Daniel Bell | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 5 2010 1:29 PM

quote from Bob "If you PROMISE not to hold me to it... I'd GUESS that you'll have good, stable build within two months that performs well on core behaviors, like reading, searching, and the Passage Guide. I'd [WILD GUESS] say we're six months from "most people can't tell the difference" between Mac/Windows functionality."

I'm not holding you to it, but now five months have passed. Are we within a month to have the can't-tell-the difference roll-out?Big Smile

Robert D. Bell

Posts 222
Bob Turner | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 24 2010 2:27 AM

Well we are at the 6 month mark and I would say we are not even close to the "can't tell the difference" stage yet.

River of Life Church: http://LifeOverflowing.org

Visit my blog: http://LifeOverflowing.org/pastor

Posts 155
Sakarias Ingolfsson | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 24 2010 2:59 AM

Pastor Bob Turner:

Well we are at the 6 month mark and I would say we are not even close to the "can't tell the difference" stage yet.

Yeah, that is the nature of software development. I have a little bit of experience within the field, and I will never forget what my boss told me once. Translated to english it would be something like: "When you estimate the time that you need, begin with the estimate. Then multiply the time you estimated with pi (3.14). Then finally add another 20%. It always takes much longer than what you think"

Words of truth. Even a gigantic company like Microsoft experiences this over and over again.

Posts 6513
Forum MVP
Lynden Williams | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 24 2010 4:29 AM

At the rate things seem to be going, you may want to plan for Christmas. Nice gift don't you think?

Everything ever written in Religion and Theology formatted for Logos Bible Software.Logos Youtube Channel

Posts 1931
Donovan R. Palmer | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 24 2010 10:54 AM

Lynden Williams:
At the rate things seem to be going, you may want to plan for Christmas. Nice gift don't you think?

I was just able to connect to a high speed connection and download Alpha 20 for the fun of it. (I had Alpha 12) It has made good progress, but it seemed to me that we would be looking at this autumn before we hit beta stage. 

Posts 4
Josh Golackson | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 3 2010 11:43 PM

I'm using Logos 4.0 for an online Hebrew class and have been able to do most of the work on my Mac. With the help option still not working I've had to do a few things on the PC version. But now I've hit the big road block. I need to use the Interlinear function a lot and I'm just curious if anyone knows how long it will be until that is working. Thanks!

Page 5 of 6 (104 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 Next > | RSS