Bug: Reverse interlinear visual filters don't highlight the whole phrase

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
This post has 4 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 725
Harry Hahne | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Nov 30 2012 8:42 PM

If a visual filter is created on a Greek or Hebrew word or morphological feature, I would expect the entire phrase used to translate this word would be highlighted.

For example, if I make a visual filter on Vocative Nouns, in 1 John 2:1, only the word "little" is highlighted. But the Greek word is translated "little children", as the reverse interlinear ribbon shows.

The information about the Greek/Hebrew words is embedded in the reverse interlinear. So I don't see why only one word is highlighted. This would be misleading to someone who has only a basic understanding of the original languages.

The same problem occurs in highlighting search results. Only one word is highlighted, even though the reverse interlinear ribbon and sympathetic highlighting can show the entire phrase that translated a particular Greek or Hebrew word.

Posts 757
Fr. Charles R. Matheny | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 30 2012 9:03 PM

I too have found incomplete visual filter responses, mostly with verbs but also some pronouns.

Posts 25401
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 30 2012 11:39 PM

I think there is a case to be made for VF's but I wouldn't extend that to searches because of the visual confusion in the Results.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 1 2012 6:09 AM

Harry Hahne:
For example, if I make a visual filter on Vocative Nouns, in 1 John 2:1, only the word "little" is highlighted. But the Greek word is translated "little children", as the reverse interlinear ribbon shows.

Personally wish for visual filter highlighting to become like Logos 5 sympathetic highlighting in search results:

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 725
Harry Hahne | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 1 2012 10:03 AM

Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :):
Personally wish for visual filter highlighting to become like Logos 5 sympathetic highlighting in search results

I agree. This is how I believe visual filters should behave.

The ESV on the right has all of the words highlighted that translate the Greek word for which I searched. All of the information is there and Logos has the code to support this type of highlighting. This is the power of a reverse interlinear.

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS