Complete Index to Spurgeon's Sermons (Logos Edition)

Page 1 of 2 (39 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 38 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 11783
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Jan 11 2013 9:50 AM

By popular demand, here's an updated version of my Complete Index to Spurgeon's Sermons. To use it, you need to compile it as a personal book. This version works with the Complete Spurgeon Sermon Collection, produced by Logos. The file contains three indexes - a scripture index, an alphabetical index, and one organised by volume/sermon number. I recommend that you compile the index as a Bible Commentary so that the Scripture index will show in your Passage Guide.

0552.Index to Spurgeons Sermons (Logos Edition).docx

The screenshot shows the three indexes side by side. In the actual resource the indexes are one after the other. If you prefer you can separate the three indexes into three separate files. If you don't want to make your own cover image, this one should do:

Over 100 errors in the original source have already been corrected, but if you notice any more, please let me know on this thread. If you need an index for the edition of these sermons that was published by AGES, that's also available.

Posts 421
Scott S | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 11 2013 9:56 AM

Thank you Mark!

Posts 10
Larry D. Sherraden | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 11 2013 10:11 AM

Mark, wonderful work!  Thank you.

Posts 154
Pedro | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 11 2013 10:12 AM

Thank you!

Posts 1875
Paul-C | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 11 2013 10:20 AM

Thanks from me too, Mark! Yes Yes Yes

Posts 997
William Gabriel | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 11 2013 11:35 AM

Wow, that is a sweet resource. Thanks for investing the time to make that for us.

Posts 3163
Dominick Sela | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 11 2013 12:03 PM

Mark, thank you so much! This looked to be a tough job as the tagging was much different, so thank you for your effort, ingenuity, or both!

Posts 7
Timothy Howe | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 11 2013 12:11 PM

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!Big Smile

Posts 446
Jonathan Sine | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 11 2013 12:11 PM

Mark - you rock! Thanks much...

Jonathan Sine

Pastor - Squamish Baptist Church

2 Cor. 4.6

Posts 8496
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 11 2013 2:25 PM

Thanks a lot, Mark!

Running Logos 7 latest (beta) version

Posts 8530
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 11 2013 2:40 PM

Thank you very much, Mark.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 570
Hans | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 11 2013 3:52 PM

Thank you very much.

MacOS Sierra / Logos 7 Collector's Edition & All Base Packages / Logos Now

Posts 1663
Paul N | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 12 2013 5:37 AM

not to be redundant, but Thank You!

Posts 29
David Scott | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 12 2013 5:42 AM

Thanks for this. Incredibly helpful!

Posts 1020
Liam | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 13 2013 3:15 PM

This is excellent. Thank you Mark! Does anyone know how to go about making resources like this? It would be great to be able to have a scripture index like this that included every sermon in my library! I know how to tag the Bible references, but not how to link to the logos resource like this.

Posts 11783
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 14 2013 3:28 AM

Liam Walsh:
I know how to tag the Bible references, but not how to link to the logos resource like this.

The Wiki has a short section on creating links in Personal Books: http://wiki.logos.com/Personal_Books#Resource_links

Posts 425
Dave Moser | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 15 2013 2:11 PM

Mark,

1. Thank you!

2. How did you put this together so fast? I'm thinking of compiling an index for Piper's and, soon, Keller's sermon manuscript libraries but I know no method which isn't prohibitively labor-intensive.

God bless!

Posts 11783
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 16 2013 3:00 AM

Dave:
How did you put this together so fast? I'm thinking of compiling an index for Piper's and, soon, Keller's sermon manuscript libraries but I know no method which isn't prohibitively labor-intensive.

The old edition of the Sermons already had an index available. Previously I had exported that index in HTML format. I then wrote a script that parsed that export file to extract the information about each sermon and place it in a database. I corrected the data where necessary (the original index had several errors). Another script then generated the three indexes from that data and saved it as a HTML file which I then imported into Word. All I needed to do this time was figure out a way of converting the data to work with the new referencing system in the new edition. Thankfully the hidden article tags are mostly logical and consistent (they start at 1 and increment by 1), so it wasn't too difficult.

I don't have Keller's sermons, but Piper's sermons would need indexing manually as the index provided doesn't include Scripture references. It's possible that Desiring God might have an index they could send you though. It's also possible that someone might be able to scrape their website and extract the data from there. It's not a bad idea, actually, but I'm unlikely to have the time to do it myself, at least at the moment.

Posts 69
Nick Watson | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 19 2013 5:04 AM

Mark - thanks!

Posts 1020
Liam | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 19 2013 1:54 PM

Thanks again Mark!

It would be great to have a scripture index like this that had a link to every sermon that was available as a Logos resource! 

Or Logos could make a scripture index sermon guide so that every sermon in someones library for a particular verse would show up (instead of just ones that quote that verse somewhere). 

Page 1 of 2 (39 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Copyright 1992-2015 Faithlife / Logos Bible Software.