Hebrew Font on a mac

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
This post has 11 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 2
Daniel Royle | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Jan 29 2013 6:30 PM

I have Logos 4 installed on my mac but have been unable to get the hebrew text to display correctly when i copy and past text from Logos into Word...or view a powerpoint that has hebrew letters in it. It displays it in a quasi-hebrew alphabet that looks somewhat new age, not complete hebrew. 

I'm operating Mac OS X version 10.8.2, have a 2.6 ghz intel core i7, 8gig of memory...it's plenty fast...i have Word for Mac 2011 that i'm using.

Very frustrating since my Hebrew professor posts his lecture powerpoints online and i can't display them correctly on my mac. Nor can i do the assignments correctly as the hebrew font from the AFAT won't paste correctly into Word.

Thank you for your help

Dan

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 29 2013 6:48 PM

Welcome Big Smile

Libreoffice has complex text layout, which is useful with Hebrew => http://community.logos.com/forums/p/38979/291317.aspx#291317

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 2
Daniel Royle | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 31 2013 7:49 AM

hmmm perhaps but the last thing i'm looking for is another program to supplement a $800 program i purchased to "do it all". 

The major issue here is the frustrating incompatibility of Logos with Mac in general...all i want is to be able to display the Hebrew font in my other programs i use like in Powerpoint or Word etc...and on a PC that has always worked. 

Usually once you install Logos, it also installs the fonts that Logos uses so that other programs can utilize those fonts...unfortunately this is not what happened in this case...

Dan

Posts 28477
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 31 2013 8:07 AM

Daniel Royle:
hmmm perhaps but the last thing i'm looking for is another program to supplement a $800 program i purchased to "do it all".

I'm confused. Why did you pay $800 for Word? Or were you blaming Logos for Word not handling Hebrew properly? Wink

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 8893
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 31 2013 8:20 AM

Daniel Royle:
The major issue here is the frustrating incompatibility of Logos with Mac in general...all i want is to be able to display the Hebrew font in my other programs i use like in Powerpoint or Word etc...and on a PC that has always worked.

I'm not 100% sure of this since I've never used Word, but as I understand it, this has nothing to do with Logos. It has to do with Microsoft. They haven't implemented support for right-to-left languages on Word for Mac in the same way that they have on Word for Windows. Nothing Logos can do anything about. And last I heard it wasn't something they planned to fix in the near future either.

The best Mac program for Hebrew is supposed to be Mellel, which is Israeli, so it kind of has to work well. Unfortunately, it costs a bit, is supposed to be a bit hard to learn, and can't yet save in .docx. So most Mac users here seem to use LibreOffice, which is free, can save in .docx, and does a decent job with Hebrew, according to those who have tried it more than I have.

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 31 2013 10:18 PM

Daniel Royle:
Usually once you install Logos, it also installs the fonts that Logos uses so that other programs can utilize those fonts...unfortunately this is not what happened in this case...

Thread => http://community.logos.com/forums/p/38461/287988.aspx#287988 has steps for copying fonts from Logos application bundle for use in other programs.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 10741
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 1 2013 4:44 AM

fgh:
I'm not 100% sure of this since I've never used Word, but as I understand it, this has nothing to do with Logos. It has to do with Microsoft. They haven't implemented support for right-to-left languages on Word for Mac in the same way that they have on Word for Windows. Nothing Logos can do anything about. And last I heard it wasn't something they planned to fix in the near future either.

You are correct, and according to semi-official posts in the Office for Mac forums a couple of years ago, Microsoft has no intention of ever supporting these languages for the Mac. the problem is not with Logos—except for requiring .docx for PBBs—the problem is strictly with MS Office.

IMO, the Macintosh Business Unit division of Microsoft exists primarily to keep the US Justice Department anti-trust lawyers away.

Posts 3173
LogosEmployee
Thomas Ball | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 6 2013 4:34 PM

Jack Caviness:
IMO, the Macintosh Business Unit division of Microsoft exists primarily to keep the US Justice Department anti-trust lawyers away.

This made me laugh.

Daniel: Many word processors on the Mac are very affordable, and most are cheaper than Word. I know of three that display Hebrew perfectly (or almost so). 

Mellel ($39 or $29) is probably the one most people choose, but I've copy and pasted Hebrew into Scrivener (a little more expensive at $45 it is more than just a word processor and has a 30 day trial offer so you can test drive it) , and it has worked. And if you are looking for a free option OpenOffice will paste right-to-left (however the vowel markings were off the last time I checked). 

There are a few other word processors out there like Nissus (which I'm pretty sure has a free trial as well), but I don't know how well Hebrew displays there. 

Posts 8893
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 6 2013 4:56 PM

Tommy Ball:
And if you are looking for a free option OpenOffice will paste right-to-left (however the vowel markings were off the last time I checked). 

LibreOffice is essentially the same, but better. Much better documentation, much fewer bugs. I made the mistake of first trying the wrong one. That cost me many frustrated hours before I had the sense to switch. 

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 10741
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 7 2013 7:14 AM

Tommy Ball:
Mellel ($39 or $29) is probably the one most people choose,

Recently received an email from Redlers announcing Mellel Lite, but could not find it on their webpage. The $39 price tag includes free upgrades for life.

Posts 28477
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 7 2013 7:30 AM

Jack - Do you use Mellel? Does it export to .docx?

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 10741
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 7 2013 1:58 PM

alabama24:
Jack - Do you use Mellel?

Infrequently. Never learned to be proficient with it. The learning curve is quite steep, especially for someone accustomed to MS Word.

alabama24:
Does it export to .docx?

No. Sent an email to Redlers several months ago asking if this was planned, but never received an answer.

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS