What about an Eastern Orthodox package (similar to Verbum)?

Page 3 of 3 (52 items) < Previous 1 2 3
This post has 51 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 2726
David Ames | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 4 2013 10:37 AM

Gabe Martini:

So that's why I just got a long email from someone named "David Ames?"

Wink

Sorry, did not think that it was that long.

Posts 796
LogosEmployee
Gabe Martini (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 4 2013 10:54 AM

David Ames:

Gabe Martini:

So that's why I just got a long email from someone named "David Ames?"

Wink

Sorry, did not think that it was that long.

I'm only joking. It was just fine, and much appreciated!

Product Department Manager
Faithlife

Posts 277
Ergatees | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 4 2013 12:11 PM

Visions of monks in black, reading and chanting the daily prayers and liturgies, in cold, damp, ancient stone chapels, in dim light through clouds of incense smoke rising and hanging in the air around the readers stand, other monks holding burning candles giving off a faint light as the chanters/readers squint to read/chant their texts from the latest iPads or Android tablets.

Beautiful!

Ergatees

Posts 796
LogosEmployee
Gabe Martini (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 4 2013 4:22 PM

Ergatees:

Visions of monks in black, reading and chanting the daily prayers and liturgies, in cold, damp, ancient stone chapels, in dim light through clouds of incense smoke rising and hanging in the air around the readers stand, other monks holding burning candles giving off a faint light as the chanters/readers squint to read/chant their texts from the latest iPads or Android tablets.

Beautiful!

Ergatees

In about 300 years, maybe. Wink Methinks until the ability to use paper is completely diminished, the Church will continue to use printed books for services, and especially for the Gospels, as that has deeper theological significance.

This topic (synthesis of modern technology and ancient tradition in the Orthodox Church) is actually something I'll be speaking on later this year on Ancient Faith Radio.

Faithlife

Posts 4625
RIP
Milford Charles Murray | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 4 2013 6:10 PM

Gabe Martini:

Ergatees:

Visions of monks    ....      

In about 300 years, maybe. Wink Methinks until the ability to use paper is completely diminished, the Church will continue to use printed books for services, and especially for the Gospels, as that has deeper theological significance......

This topic (synthesis of modern technology and ancient tradition in the Orthodox Church) is actually something I'll be speaking on later this year on Ancient Faith Radio.

Peace, Gabe!                  "Ancient Faith Radio"!!!            Sounds interesting!     Intriguing.  Can you tell us more?           *smile*

Philippians 4:  4 Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice. 5 Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand..........

Posts 796
LogosEmployee
Gabe Martini (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 4 2013 8:27 PM

Milford Charles Murray:

Peace, Gabe!                  "Ancient Faith Radio"!!!            Sounds interesting!     Intriguing.  Can you tell us more?           *smile*

Here you go: www.ancientfaith.com

Faithlife

Posts 4625
RIP
Milford Charles Murray | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 5 2013 6:10 AM

Gabe Martini:

Milford Charles Murray:

Here you go: www.ancientfaith.com

Thank you, Gabe!            Just went over to that site and took a peek!                   Quite fascinating!     *smile*                 Will be spending more time there!

Philippians 4:  4 Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice. 5 Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand..........

Posts 277
Ergatees | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 5 2013 6:44 AM

recommending "ancientfaith.com" Ancient Faith Radio.

Excellent music to listen to when reading. I have downloaded to the iPad the pages so when I pull up the folder on Eastern Sources on the iPad, I can just click and get the music. The podcasts are great too.

As to 300 yrs: we have no idea what we will see in 100 yrs. We didn't have TV 100 yrs ago. Things are going forward so fast. Like saint Paul, I expect the Lord's return soon!

Ergatees

Posts 8899
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 5 2013 12:24 PM

Gabe Martini:
In general, I will not be discriminating beween Byzantine Catholic, Orthodox, Oriental, Assyrian/Nestorian/Armenian, etc., but am looking to carry resources from all of these traditions "of the East."

I'm glad to hear that. http://www.logos.com/products/search?Christian+Group=Orthodox&start=0&sort=bestselling&pageSize=60 made me a bit worried in that respect.

Sleiman:
if things start to look like some are 'falling between the chairs', you will definitely hear/see me say something about that Wink

Good.Big Smile You know about a thousand times more than I do about these things, so I'll leave them in your and Gabe's capable hands.Smile

Gabe Martini:

That is our goal, but it all depends upon two factors:

1. How well received are these early Orthodox works/collections by our current Logos users?

IOW: If we buy the prepubs, we'll lose a lot of money compared to if we had waited for the package, but if we wait for the package, there may never be one...Crying

Ergatees:
Beautiful!

I don't think"beautiful" would be quite the word that came to my mind if I saw monks singing the office from iPads...

Gabe Martini:

Let us know some days in advance, will you?

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 796
LogosEmployee
Gabe Martini (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 5 2013 12:37 PM

fgh:

IOW: If we buy the prepubs, we'll lose a lot of money compared to if we had waited for the package, but if we wait for the package, there may never be one...Crying

Not necessarily, as the end goal for me personally goes beyond simple bundles and base packages, but to something more holistic that is unique for this market.

fgh:

Gabe Martini:

Let us know some days in advance, will you?

Absolutely! Smile

Faithlife

Posts 757
Fr. Charles R. Matheny | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 5 2013 12:59 PM

I feel like I took a real beating on the Verbum deal. My fault, not blaming Logos, I just didn't research enough before buying and, did not get much that is useful. ( Most wont even pull up in useful ways when searching-arrgghh) . A lot of it I already had, so, for me, not a good deal.

Thus, the only way I will be able to approach an Orthodox upgrade is if it really is of great value. Otherwise, just pick what I need from Titles.

FWIW , as others may now feel similar about the "Libraries".

Grace and Peace.

Posts 164
Niko | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 5 2013 1:21 PM

I might be interested in resources that tell about the syriac church. Though I see, while searching logos' site, that logos already has some books about the subject.

Page 3 of 3 (52 items) < Previous 1 2 3 | RSS