Login woes

Page 1 of 3 (43 items) 1 2 3 Next >
This post has 42 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 24
divisionByZero | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Jul 9 2013 11:56 AM

Alright.  I have to admit, I am getting sick of having to log in over the internet each and every time I want to use Logos.  Why is this necessary?

Rather permit yourselves to be defrauded...  Ring any bells?  When I have paid over $900 for this app, why is internet connectivity required?

Is there a way to use the app while not connected?  I have a feeling that I must be missing some simple thing.  Surely the app is not this draconian?  Can I log in and use the app on a disconnected laptop?

Posts 28039
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 9 2013 12:09 PM

divisionByZero:
I am getting sick of having to log in over the internet each and every time I want to use Logos.  Why is this necessary?

You don't. Are you on windows? What version of the app are you using? Please enable and post logs. See my signature line for more info.

NOTE: this thread may be moved to the appropriate forum.

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 3941
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 9 2013 12:10 PM

You can indeed.

Start the application while disconected from the internet, and when presented with the login page, click use offline (or soemthing to that effect).

L2 lvl4, L3 Scholars, L4 Scholars, L5 Platinum,  L6 Collectors. L7 Baptist Portfolio. L8 Baptist Platinum.

Posts 24
divisionByZero | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 9 2013 12:10 PM

I am on Mac, using the version prior to the newest, 4, I think.  But it always shows a login window, even on a laptop.  How can I use it without logging in?

Posts 22279
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 9 2013 12:11 PM

divisionByZero:
, I am getting sick of having to log in over the internet each and every time I want to use Logos.  Why is this necessary?

It isn't necessary to be connected to the Internet to use Logos software on a laptop - access to some features (such as Reading Lists) require the Internet but the bulk of Logos functionality is available offline

• Can you explain what you see / what happens when you try and use Logos offline?
  • Can you post screenshots showing what you see? (details at http://wiki.logos.com/Screenshot)
  • What version of Logos software (presuming Logos 4 or 5 but interested in specific versions)
  • Are you running on Windows or Mac?

Graham 

Posts 24
divisionByZero | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 9 2013 12:11 PM

No such 'use offline button appears...'

Posts 22279
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 9 2013 12:12 PM

divisionByZero:
How can I use it without logging in?

As above, click the "Work Offline" button

Posts 22279
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 9 2013 12:13 PM

divisionByZero:

No such 'use offline button appears...'

Apologies - my answers are trailing yours!

Can you post a screenshot showing your login screen.

Posts 24
divisionByZero | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 9 2013 12:17 PM

http://i.imgur.com/3lYQVXi.jpg

Posts 3941
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 9 2013 12:18 PM

have you never signed into it before?

Might I suggest doing the free engine upgrade to L5?

L2 lvl4, L3 Scholars, L4 Scholars, L5 Platinum,  L6 Collectors. L7 Baptist Portfolio. L8 Baptist Platinum.

Posts 24
divisionByZero | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 9 2013 12:20 PM

Of course I have signed into it before.  It works fine on my iMac, but the MacBook, when I take it away from areas with internet, well, obviously I cannot connect and verify that I paid for it...  It won't ever launch, because I can't login!

Posts 28039
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 9 2013 12:24 PM

dBZ - Let's start again...

1. You shouldn't have to log in each time. Something is wrong.
  2. What OS are you running? As long as your specs are "up to spec," you should be using L5, not L4. You can get that HERE.
  3. If for some reason you can't use L5, it would be helpful to know exactly what version you are indeed using.
  4. If the above doesn't help, we will need you to post logs. See my signature line.
  5. This thread may be moved to the appropriate forum. If you are using L4 Mac, then that is the right forum. If/when you migrate to L5, then that would be the appropriate forum. The "general" forum is for "general" issues, rather than software specific questions. 

Posts 22279
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 9 2013 12:25 PM

divisionByZero:

http://i.imgur.com/3lYQVXi.jpg

Sorry I can't see that.

Please upload a screenshot as per  http://wiki.logos.com/Screenshot using the paperclip icon

Posts 24
divisionByZero | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 9 2013 12:29 PM

I'm still using 4.  As for appropriate forums, and technical issues, well, this app is running on wine, internally.  It's a windows app, and I am a UNIX fanboy.  MacOS is FreeBSD derived darwin, under the hood, but in wine, it's a windows api.  We use forks, not 'apartment level threading,' so any expertise I may have is rendered moot.  Heck, it wasn't even case specific before 4.

I have the general feeling that mac support is an afterthought.

Posts 24
divisionByZero | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 9 2013 12:30 PM

Just point your browser at the link after you cut it and paste it...

Posts 28039
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 9 2013 12:38 PM

divisionByZero:
I'm still using 4.

Then this post will be moved to the L4 Mac forum.

divisionByZero:
I have the general feeling that mac support is an afterthought.

I am unsure why you are ticked off at us. We are volunteers who help out around here. We would love to help, but please show some courtesy. Wink

If you would like help, please answer the questions I gave you in my last post. 

For clarification: The Logos 5 engine is free to all users, and is a continuation of L4. Your issue may or may not be related to being "up to date." 

Posts 3941
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 9 2013 12:38 PM

So to be clear - you are running UNIX. Then using the WINE emulator to run L4?

Posts 24
divisionByZero | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 9 2013 12:40 PM

Updated to 5.  No change.  No 'offline' button appears.

What do your screenshots look like?  I'd love to have this control presented for interaction.

Posts 24
divisionByZero | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 9 2013 12:40 PM

No.  I'm using MacOS.  The actual logos distribution, for mac, includes wine to run on.  They provide it, amusingly enough.

Posts 24
divisionByZero | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 9 2013 12:44 PM

alabama24:

I am unsure why you are ticked off at us. We are volunteers who help out around here. We would love to help, but please show some courtesy. Wink

I am not 'ticked off at you.'  I am just generally annoyed at the situation.  I have had this since 2009.  I had to reformat my drive to be NOT case specific, as the UNIX standard specifies, to run this app, in the included wine distribution, because I don't know enough about windows development to handle it.  I could, however, take care of my UNIX apps in a case-insensitive environment.

I am ticked off that I can't login without internet.  My apologies if you take it personally - it was not meant to be taken that way.  I appreciate your aid, and have upgraded. I did not know it was free, so that's one bonus...

Page 1 of 3 (43 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS