This post has 34 Replies | 7 Followers

Posts 28491
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 28 2013 11:35 AM

Let us know when you do. Smile

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 2082
David Thomas | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 28 2013 12:13 PM

Wall Street Journal ran a piece on this iPad Parallels app. - http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887323407104579038940061871048.html 

I was surprised it is $80 per year PER COMPUTER that you want to access. So a pastor with a personal computer at home and a work computer at the study may easily be looking at $160 per year.

Making Disciples!  Logos Ecosystem = Logos8 on Microsoft Surface Pro 4 (Win10), Android app on tablet, FSB on iPhone, [deprecated] Windows App, Proclaim, Faithlife.com, FaithlifeTV via Connect subscription.

Posts 2976
Forum MVP
Jacob Hantla | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 28 2013 12:15 PM

Looking forward to trying it. I've had good success with logmein

Jacob Hantla
Pastor/Elder, Grace Bible Church
gbcaz.org

Posts 2976
Forum MVP
Jacob Hantla | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 28 2013 12:17 PM

Since LogMeIn works so well, it'll take a really good thing to make me willing to pay $80/yr. i too will update with results of a trial

Jacob Hantla
Pastor/Elder, Grace Bible Church
gbcaz.org

Posts 2829
Don Awalt | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 28 2013 12:58 PM

Jacob Hantla:

Since LogMeIn works so well, it'll take a really good thing to make me willing to pay $80/yr. i too will update with results of a trial

Agreed, for my needs LogMeIn is fine, and free. I would pay $25 user license (not per computer), even though I use only 2. $80 per computer per year is too steep for my needs. Looks like a nice product though.

Posts 232
AndyTheGreek | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 28 2013 1:59 PM

I'm giving this a try and it works really well. Not just for Logos, but I can even use my C++ programming environment with it.

it works really well in conjunction with the Apple Wireless keyboard - something I wasn't able to get other tools of this sort to do when I last tried them.

$80 a year is a little steep, but if I make a lot of use of this over the next 90 days I suspect I will go for it :-)

Andy

Posts 9241
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 29 2013 7:33 AM

You can try this at least for Windows machines for free for 90 days while it is in beta.

This allows right click menus to come up with a two finger tap on a word. Little tricky to make happen but it does work.

I find it to be a little balky trying to follow in the Information Pane.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 9241
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 29 2013 7:40 AM

Here is a screenshot using Splashtop. I cannot get the INformation Panel to work at all using Splashtop.

I believe Parallel's selling point may be the ease of interacting between applications, say Logos and Word. I haven't tried doing that using Splashtop and Parallels Access yet.

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 667
Jonathan Pitts | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 29 2013 10:55 AM
Mark Smith:

I cannot get the INformation Panel to work at all using Splashtop.

The information panel should work with Splashtop, but you need to set it to operate on click rather than hover in the information panel settings.

Posts 9241
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 29 2013 11:03 AM

Jonathan Pitts:
you need to set it to operate on click rather than hover in the information panel settings.

That was helpful. It makes sense.

BTW: I really see no advantage in my limited use up to this point in using Parallels Access over Splashtop just for Logos.

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 667
Jonathan Pitts | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 29 2013 11:12 AM

I have used LogMeIn for business for years but recently switched to Splashtop for using Logos at home.

For simple use with Logos, I can't see that Access actually allows anything that is not possible with the other options. The interface is nice, but not $80/year nice. Switching between applications is actually quicker from the native Windows taskbar in Splashtop. The one finger scrolling is useful sometimes but causes chaos at other times—most of my resources are in paged view.

None of these applications gives seamless transition between left-clicking, right-clicking, hovering and scrolling without switching between different modes or having to use a cursor that isn't where your finger is.

Access might be better for extensive work in Word, but I would want a proper keyboard to do that anyway.

I'll stick to Splashtop for now. The only thing I struggle with is scrolling down in the information panel. The two-finger swipe doesn't work. I have to long-press on the scroll bar to get a page-down option.

Posts 2769
Kevin A. Purcell | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 29 2013 3:08 PM

David Thomas:
I was surprised it is $80 per year PER COMPUTER that you want to access.
I'm not sure that's true because I ran it on three different machines without any issues. It was only in the trial mode as I've not received my full copy yet from the Parallels. I'll ask my contact there about this.

Posts 2769
Kevin A. Purcell | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 29 2013 3:10 PM

Jonathan Pitts:

I have used LogMeIn for business for years but recently switched to Splashtop for using Logos at home.

For simple use with Logos, I can't see that Access actually allows anything that is not possible with the other options. The interface is nice, but not $80/year nice. Switching between applications is actually quicker from the native Windows taskbar in Splashtop. The one finger scrolling is useful sometimes but causes chaos at other times—most of my resources are in paged view.

None of these applications gives seamless transition between left-clicking, right-clicking, hovering and scrolling without switching between different modes or having to use a cursor that isn't where your finger is.

Access might be better for extensive work in Word, but I would want a proper keyboard to do that anyway.

I'll stick to Splashtop for now. The only thing I struggle with is scrolling down in the information panel. The two-finger swipe doesn't work. I have to long-press on the scroll bar to get a page-down option.

If you are comparing Parallels Desktop's mobile interface to Splashtop, you're right. It's not as elegant. But the Parallels Acces is a differnt animal and it's much nicer. I've used Splashtop and I don't find it working nearly as well as Access.

The price is a little high. But to get full Logos all the time, makes it worth it for me. I may not run the Logos Bible app on my iPad anymore now.

Posts 28491
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 29 2013 3:42 PM

Kevin A. Purcell:
I'm not sure that's true

Read it and weep:

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 667
Jonathan Pitts | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 29 2013 3:53 PM

Kevin A. Purcell:

If you are comparing Parallels Desktop's mobile interface to Splashtop, you're right. It's not as elegant. But the Parallels Acces is a differnt animal and it's much nicer. I've used Splashtop and I don't find it working nearly as well as Access.

I was comparing Parallels Access with Splashtop. I installed it yesterday and can't see that it allows me to do anything much in Logos that I can't do in a cheaper program. Tell me if I've missed something.

Kevin A. Purcell:

The price is a little high. But to get full Logos all the time, makes it worth it for me. I may not run the Logos Bible app on my iPad anymore now.

I get full Logos all the time from LogMeIn and Splashtop. LogMeIn has a free version. I prefer the Splashtop interface for Logos use. The free version of this works at home (on the same network as the PC) and the version that works over the internet is only £12 per year.

Kevin, you are obviously delighted with your new toy, but I'm saving my money.

Page 2 of 2 (35 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS