FREE book John MacArthur Strange Fire by mail

Page 3 of 4 (70 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next >
This post has 69 Replies | 5 Followers

Posts 2132
David Thomas | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 10 2013 6:40 AM

Super Tramp:

Yet, while I belong to neither camp, I have learned from both.

Yes

Making Disciples!  Logos Ecosystem = Logos8 on Microsoft Surface Pro 4 (Win10), Android app on tablet, FSB on iPhone, [deprecated] Windows App, Proclaim, Faithlife.com, FaithlifeTV via Connect subscription.

Posts 9291
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 10 2013 3:52 PM

Super Tramp:
Yet, while I belong to neither camp, I have learned from both.

Me too. Like so many things in Scripture a healthy tension is worth embracing.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 8
Je Ko | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 15 2014 9:04 AM

We need Strange Fire book in Logos, stat!

BTW, what do you guys mean, when you say "neither camp." 

Are you simply choosing not to comment on the subject? Or are you talking about your feelings? Or are you saying you need to do more research before you decide what you believe? I feel like I'm missing something because I don't know how one can be in this place. Thanks for your response!

Posts 28560
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 15 2014 9:12 AM

Je Ko:
what do you guys mean, when you say "neither camp."

I don't want to get myself wrapped up in this debate, but I will help answer this question for you.

In this case, to say that "I am a part of neither camp" means "I am not a follower of either man" (Jimmy Swaggert or John McArthur). The point that was trying to be made is that we can read and learn things by those with whom we disagree. 

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 4069
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 15 2014 9:56 AM

Wild Eagle:

The reason why I am so strong against this author is because he criticizes the whole denomination based on some flaws which happens in some churches And among well known preachers  

From my experience the "flaws" are pretty pervasive and tightly held... I'll be the first to admit a few things though, firstly I don't have a tremendous amount of experience with Pentecostal churches... I've been to five or six and seen mostly /bad/ theology at play, even within a non-cessationist theological construct. However, I did encounter one church in New Jersey that had their ducks in a row so to speak... We left the follow up information for a number of new believers with them, as the baptists (my denomination) were not interested...

A professor at bible school once told me a story about a great "movement" of the "spirit" he had had been hearing about from his missionary friend in Alaska. People were prophesying, speaking in tongues, and so forth. They believed they were experiencing an outpouring of God. My professor/friend who does not hold to cesasionism, but is a bit skeptical, asked his missionary friend to ask the person speaking in tongues to say the name of he whom they worship.

The missionary blew it off for a while, but then one day he had an experience that puzzled him, and so the next time someone was speaking in tongues he commanded the individual to confess the name of Jesus. The individual would say things like "I fear the most high" and so forth. Any way to make a long story short, they came to believe they were dealing with a demon imitating a revival. They started having a team of people pray during the service, and as a church walked the perimeter of their church facility praying on a regular basis. The "revival" stopped.

I'm not sure how I feel about the story, but it definitely stuck with me.

L2 lvl4 (...) L8 Platinum, WORDsearch

Posts 9291
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 15 2014 11:59 AM

alabama24:

Je Ko:
what do you guys mean, when you say "neither camp."

I don't want to get myself wrapped up in this debate, but I will help answer this question for you.

In this case, to say that "I am a part of neither camp" means "I am not a follower of either man" (Jimmy Swaggert or John McArthur). The point that was trying to be made is that we can read and learn things by those with whom we disagree. 

This is what I was thinking as well.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 10744
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 15 2014 1:17 PM

alabama24:

Amen. Although I would probably be classified as a cessationist, I find many/most of the arguments advanced for the termination of the miraculous gifts of the Spirit to be rather weak. I agree with Douglas Moo that MacArthur was overly harsh. In fact, I found both Strange Fire books to be seriously flawed.

That was probably too much, so I will have nothing more to say on this subject. My lips are sealed Zip it!

Posts 308
Dean J | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 15 2014 4:00 PM

Jack Caviness:

Dean053:
I think we need to learn to bite our tongues when we see authors/positions represented that we don't like.

Logos publishes lots of material from people with whom I disagree, but I have only written a review on one. If you don't want the resource, then do not purchase it, but have some respect for others who may disagree with you and believe the resource is worth-while.

non sequitur. 

Posts 1674
Paul Golder | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 16 2014 10:24 AM

Dean053:

Jack Caviness:

Dean053:
I think we need to learn to bite our tongues when we see authors/positions represented that we don't like.

Logos publishes lots of material from people with whom I disagree, but I have only written a review on one. If you don't want the resource, then do not purchase it, but have some respect for others who may disagree with you and believe the resource is worth-while.

non sequitur. 

Logic becomes apparent when worded differently (If I may indulge):

Jack Caviness:

1. Logos publishes lots of material from people with whom I disagree
2. If you don't want the resource, then do not purchase it.
3. Have some respect for others who believe the resource is worth-while, and may disagree with you.

"As any translator will attest, a literal translation is no translation at all."

Posts 946
Everett Headley | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 16 2014 10:32 AM

In reference to OP, has anyone recieved their free copy yet?  I signed up but have not seen it yet.

Posts 103
Roger G Black | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 16 2014 11:38 AM

Neither have I.  Still waiting.

Rog {BlueBird} Cool

Posts 2398
Ronald Quick | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 16 2014 12:13 PM

I'm waiting too.

Posts 390
Alain Maashe | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 16 2014 12:15 PM

I have yet to receive my copy but fundraising mail was quick to reach me.

Posts 2398
Ronald Quick | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 16 2014 12:52 PM

Yeah I noticed that too.

Posts 10744
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 16 2014 1:01 PM

Paul Golder:

Dean053:

Jack Caviness:

Dean053:

non sequitur. 

Logic becomes apparent when worded differently (If I may indulge):

Jack Caviness:

1. Logos publishes lots of material from people with whom I disagree
2. If you don't want the resource, then do not purchase it.
3. Have some respect for others who believe the resource is worth-while, and may disagree with you.

Thanks for the clarification Paul. Thought it was odd that Dean063 considered it a fallacy for me to agree with him Hmm

Posts 308
Dean J | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 16 2014 1:21 PM

I thought you were disagreeing with me!! Hence I thought it a non sequitur since I hadn't said anything to warrant that response. Thanks for clarifying. Zip it!

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 16 2014 1:45 PM

Alain Maashe:

Same here.

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 7500
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 16 2014 2:44 PM

Super.Tramp:

Alain Maashe:

Same here.

Same here...oh wait, I never ordered one! LOL Geeked

Posts 10744
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 16 2014 3:03 PM

Dean053:
I thought you were disagreeing with me!!

Forum communication sometimes fails to communicate Geeked

Posts 855
Ron Corbett | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 21 2014 3:50 AM

FWIW - There is a book on the other side of the issue that addresses issues raised in the above mentioned book. The book is by Dr. Michael Brown and is titled: "Authentic Fire". I recommend it highly and would like to see it in Logos. It is helpful to see how he respectfully disagrees with those cited above. His research and handling of the subject matter is commendable. For those who would be interested, a good answer to "Strange Fire".

Page 3 of 4 (70 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS