The Power of User-Editable Series Names

Page 1 of 2 (32 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 31 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 3073
Doc B | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Aug 28 2013 7:47 PM

If you haven't played around with the ability to edit series names, it can lead to some pretty neat things.

I now have a layout saved with my preferred Bible (I use the ESV) and my three favorite commentaries on each book. By creating three new unique series names, whenever I jump to any location in the Bible, my favorite top 3 commentaries on that particular book open up in adjacent windows. For example, if I'm in the book of John, PNTC opens in the first commentary window, St. Andrews in the second, and BECNT in the third. If I jump to Joshua, Dale Ralph Davis opens in the first, NAC in the second, and Boice in the third window. Jumping to Psalms opens the appropriate volume of The Treasury of David. Type in Luke, and BECNT, NIGTC, and NAC open up to the right verse.

Since I have favorites from different series, and don't use any one series exclusively, the ability to make my own series means I have a custom commentary set.

Nice feature!

My thanks to the various MVPs. Without them Logos would have died early. They were the only real help available.

Faithlife Corp. owes the MVPs free resources for life.

Posts 19276
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 28 2013 9:48 PM

Great suggestion!

Posts 4625
RIP
Milford Charles Murray | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 29 2013 7:06 PM

Rosie Perera:

Great suggestion!

Truly, Doc!           *smile*                                                                                                     Psalm 29:11

Edit:         BTW, have you figured out any positive or negative consequences of using the commentary parallel resources with a self-named and self-assembled series?

Philippians 4:  4 Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice. 5 Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand..........

Posts 9520
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 29 2013 7:58 PM

Milford Charles Murray:
Edit:         BTW, have you figured out any positive or negative consequences of using the commentary parallel resources with a self-named and self-assembled series?

Editing a series for a resource takes it out of the normal series. So you wouldn't be able to jump from, say, WBC Genesis to WBC Revelation as you normally do by moving from Genesis to Revelation in your linked Bible (assuming you changed the series for either WBC Genesis or WBC Revelation). If you don't care about such things, there is no downside. For Doc's use (and many others) a favorite commentaries series when one doesn't care about a set series is now possible to create. Doc's idea of creating three such series to enable three linked options is a clever one.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 3073
Doc B | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 29 2013 9:17 PM

Milford Charles Murray:
BTW, have you figured out any positive or negative consequences of using the commentary parallel resources with a self-named and self-assembled series?

Mark said it better than I can. The only downside is if you use commentaries in their 'factory' series. I don't, at least not normally.

Another advantage is using certain monographs like a commentary, as long as they are versified. I have Piper's book on Romans 9 as a volume in my #3 Romans commentary slot. Since I have two other commentaries on the full book of Romans, I don't miss any, and I get a LOT of commentary on chapter 9.

My thanks to the various MVPs. Without them Logos would have died early. They were the only real help available.

Posts 3073
Doc B | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 29 2013 9:18 PM

Mark Smith:
is a clever one.

Thanks, Mark! I appreciate the kind words.

Posts 4625
RIP
Milford Charles Murray | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 29 2013 11:47 PM

Mark and Doc!       *smile*             Thanks so much to the both of you!    I appreciate the ideas very much as I continue to seek to study God's Word thoroughly and effectively!    Peace!

Philippians 4:  4 Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice. 5 Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand..........

Posts 2745
Bohuslav Wojnar | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 30 2013 3:22 AM

Very interesting. I have to investigate it more. So far I have been using ratings to place the top commentaries for the given Bible book (5 stars = the best commentary for the book etc.) Works well in the Passage Guide.

Your suggestion looks very promising, although I don't want to loose the original "factory" connection of the commentary series.

Thank you and Mark for a great information. Yes 

Bohuslav

Posts 3745
BillS | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 30 2013 4:15 AM

Thanks for a great idea / suggestion!

Grace & Peace,
Bill

MSI GF63 8RD, I-7 8850H, 32GB RAM, 1TB SSD, 2TB HDD, NVIDIA GTX 1050Max
iPhone 12 Pro Max 512Gb
Fire 10HD 64GB 7th Gen

Posts 10832
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 30 2013 4:30 AM

Bohuslav Wojnar:
Your suggestion looks very promising, although I don't want to loose the original "factory" connection of the commentary series.

So far, I'm not convinced that I want to lose these either, but it does look like a very good procedure for those who don't care about "factor" series connections.

Posts 1993
Donnie Hale | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 30 2013 6:41 AM

I know how to use the new "set series" functionality. But I don't understand what I'd have to do after that to achieve the functionality that's described in this thread. If I had hit every book in the Bible in a Logos session, would I then have 66*3 (ESV) commentary panes open in my layout? Also, is there something that limits it to a favorite 3? Could it be a favorite 5?

Thanks,

Donnie

Posts 9520
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 30 2013 6:56 AM

Donnie Hale:
Could it be a favorite 5?

What Doc did was create a special series loading one of his favorite commentaries from each book of the Bible in that series. That way when the Bible link moves to a new book, that series moves to the favorite commentary he'd chosen and put in the series.

By creating three such series with different favorites in each one he can open accomplish what he spoke about. He has one book from each series open in a pane linked to his Bible. Now all three will move at the same time to the new Bible book giving him quick access to his top three commentaries.

You could do this for as many commentaries as you want. You only place one commentary for each book of the Bible in the series. Just open a pane with a book from each series for as many series as you create and link them together.

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 11433
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 30 2013 7:12 AM

Going back to what Mark said (the downside), I still think the simple solution is a program rule, that where no book is in the factory series (book was re-series'd), default to the factory series ID, rather than just 'stop' and look dumb.

Again, I don't think they press the edge of common sense.  My guess is they want to keep as much code as possible in SQL queries. 

"God will save his fallen angels and their broken wings He'll mend."

Posts 4625
RIP
Milford Charles Murray | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 30 2013 7:12 AM

Thanks, Mark!           *smile*                                       Peace!

What I've decided to do (finally!   --    *smile* ) for myself is late last night and early this morning creating a special collection of my truly favourite commentaries and enabling the showing of parallel resources in this collection.  That way I can very, very quickly move from one commentary to another using the arrow buttons and avoid using up precious real estate on the monitor.  I think it will work for me very well indeed!

The only negative is that I need to be sure that parallel resources is checked for the resources I want to use ...  that requires a wee bit of thinking, but old minds can handle that, eh???

Posts 9520
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 30 2013 7:27 AM

Milford, that is old-school! Wink I recall when we were fighting to have parallel resource control restored in Logos 4.

It definitely works just as you say and you only need to build a collection. Howsomever you can't link a commentary in this collection to the Bible so that when you jump to another Bible book you'd have a commentary in this collection show up. The resources are linked in parallel but not serial form.

You could combine the two by adding a whole Bible commentary series (Tyndale??) to the collection but that would still require extra steps to get what Doc has which is a quick jump to his open Bible book.

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 9520
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 30 2013 7:35 AM

Milford, this veering off-topic, but one thing I did with my collection of 'Recommended Commentaries' is create a one item Passage Guide which I named Top Commentaries. The one item in the Guide is my collection of Recommended Commentaries. I can right click on a passage and see Top Commentaries as a choice if I use the 'Reference' tab in the right click menu. A moment or two later I get a link to all my commentaries in that collection for that Bible book. Opening one I can then use the left and right arrows to navigate between them if I choose to do so.

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 4625
RIP
Milford Charles Murray | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 30 2013 8:25 AM

Peace, Richard!

*smile*

Well, back to the drawing board, eh?     Situation is Normal, All Fouled Up!

I cannot get my newly created collection to show in Parallel Resources ...

Later today as I have time, I will research it ........        just looked at the Wiki, but can't find the reason there ...

But Mousie, thou art no thy lane,
In proving foresight may be vain:
The best-laid schemes o' mice an' men
Gang aft agley,
An' lea'e us nought but grief an' pain,
For promis'd joy!

Posts 571
Martin Grainger Dean | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 30 2013 8:41 AM
Nice find Doc Yes. Thanks.
Posts 4625
RIP
Milford Charles Murray | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 30 2013 8:59 AM

Mark Smith:

Milford, this veering off-topic, but one thing I did with my collection of 'Recommended Commentaries' is create a one item Passage Guide which I named Top Commentaries. The one item in the Guide is my collection of Recommended Commentaries. I can right click on a passage and see Top Commentaries as a choice if I use the 'Reference' tab in the right click menu. A moment or two later I get a link to all my commentaries in that collection for that Bible book. Opening one I can then use the left and right arrows to navigate between them if I choose to do so.

Thanks, Mark!                        That also is very clever!                      It's so nice that Logos 5 is giving us so very many ways to study -- so many options! -- depending upon our individual likes and methods of engaging ....                      I'm pleased to study your thoughts and ideas .... and truly appreciate your sharing ideas ......

Posts 1993
Donnie Hale | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 30 2013 10:34 AM

There are some helpful suggestions in this thread. Trying to figure which of them, with or without adaptation, apply to the way I tend to work in L5. Many thanks.

Donnie

Page 1 of 2 (32 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS