Smart Selection Resources in the 5.2 Beta

Page 1 of 2 (30 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 29 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 1258
LogosEmployee
Dylan Rondeau | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Oct 7 2013 12:09 PM

To go along with the new Smart Selection feature added in the 5.2 Beta, we will be republishing 10 resources that have been compiled with Smart Selection data. This update should only download for users with 5.2 Beta 1 installed. We'd like users to specifically test these resources and the Smart Selection feature once they are available.

The resources that are being republished are:

• The Bible Knowledge Commentary
  • Easton's Bible Dictionary
  • English Standard Version
  • Faithlife Study Bible
  • Connect the Testaments: A Daily Devotional
  • Commentary Critical and Explanatory on the Whole Bible
  • The Lexham Bible Dictionary
  • The Lexham English Bible
  • Morning and Evening
  • Merriam-Webster's Collegiate Dictionary (Eleventh Edition)

Smart Selection allows for text selection based on word, clause, sentence, and paragraph groupings. Holding Alt/Option will allow normal selection, and Alt/Option+RightClick will select the word’s logical cluster. There is now a toggle for Smart Selection under Program Settings, so please ensure that it is enabled.

Dylan Rondeau, Software Tester

Enable Logging: Mac | Windows (Right-click "Save As...")

Posts 10729
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 7 2013 1:15 PM

Dylan Rondeau:
Smart Selection allows for text selection based on word, clause, sentence, and paragraph groupings. Holding Alt/Option will allow normal selection, and Alt/Option+RightClick will select the word’s logical cluster. There is now a toggle for Smart Selection under Program Settings, so please ensure that it is enabled.

Had posted that this did not work, but have now realized that no updated resources have been downloaded. Update Now returns not updates available.

Posts 5615
Todd Phillips | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 7 2013 1:39 PM

I don't think the update resources are available yet.  It's not working for me either.  The only downloads I received after installing this beta were databases. (Yes, I did enable smart selection in the settings).

Wiki Links: Enabling Logging / Detailed Search Help - MacBook Pro (2014), ThinkPad E570

Posts 10729
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 7 2013 1:41 PM

Todd Phillips:

I don't think the update resources are available yet.  It's not working for me either.  The only downloads I received after installing this beta were databases. (Yes, I did enable smart selection in the settings).

I was correcting my initial post as you were posting Embarrassed Over-eager, I guess

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 12 2013 9:47 AM

Dylan Rondeau:
To go along with the new Smart Selection feature added in the 5.2 Beta, we will be republishing 10 resources that have been compiled with Smart Selection data. This update should only download for users with 5.2 Beta 1 installed.

Any estimate for updated resources ?

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 8221
LogosEmployee

Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :):

Any estimate for updated resources ?

We hope to publish them early next week.

Posts 1187
Liam | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 12 2013 1:13 PM

What will the smart selection do? How will it change things in these resources? Will it be primarily for searching?

Posts 13397
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 12 2013 1:24 PM

Dylan Rondeau:

Posts 28950
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 12 2013 1:26 PM

Liam, see http://designinginterfaces.com/firstedition/index.php?page=Smart_Selection

Bradley, I must be feeling contrary this morning 'cause I'd rather have something basic like the Reading Plan being useful i.e. able to handle a user defined plan than a Smart Select. I know its not as sexy for marketing or entertaining for programmers but I really wish that the mundane features - Reading Plan, Prayer List, even Prioritization - would get upgrades to meet user needs.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 13397
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 12 2013 1:54 PM

MJ. Smith:
Bradley, I must be feeling contrary this morning 'cause I'd rather have something basic like the Reading Plan being useful i.e. able to handle a user defined plan than a Smart Select. I know its not as sexy for marketing or entertaining for programmers but I really wish that the mundane features - Reading Plan, Prayer List, even Prioritization - would get upgrades to meet user needs.

I have to agree with this. Today I really needed the ability to use a Passage List to highlight verses to use in a Visual Filter, but you can't do it. I'd much rather this sort of useful functionality was added.

Posts 28950
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 12 2013 2:13 PM

Good catch Mark - Passage List to Visual Filter is a big one for me too.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 1187
Liam | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 12 2013 2:13 PM

MJ. Smith:

Aah I see. Thanks M.J.!

I didn't think it was something as regular as selecting the text with a mouse.

Posts 1365
PL | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 12 2013 3:07 PM

Dylan / Bradley,

Does this mean that when this feature is released on the stable channel, all of our resources will have to be updated, i.e. there will be another humongous download and reindexing coming our way soon?

Peter

Posts 5573
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 12 2013 3:30 PM

PL:

Dylan / Bradley,

Does this mean that when this feature is released on the stable channel, all of our resources will have to be updated, i.e. there will be another humongous download and reindexing coming our way soon?

Peter

This looks like 10 resources will be updated. At least for now. My guess is that other resources may also be updated in batches as they get to them. Whether or not we have a massive resource update like we had recently is doubtful, and I think Logos said so.

Help links: WIKI;  Logos 6 FAQ. (Phil. 2:14, NIV)

Posts 406
Fred Greco | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 14 2013 6:39 AM

Maybe I am thick, but (as usual) when a new Logos feature is rolled out, only a very, very small amount of information is given. What would this actually be used for? That is, when would I want to use it? On what resources does it work? What results does it give?

More than a one-sentence description is needed if you actually expect people to use it.

Fred Greco
Senior Pastor, Christ Church PCA, Katy, TX
Windows 10 64-bit; Logos 7.1 SR-2 (Reformed Platinum)

Posts 13397
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 14 2013 7:35 AM

Fred Greco:
Maybe I am thick, but (as usual) when a new Logos feature is rolled out, only a very, very small amount of information is given.

It's only beta 1. They'll write the documentation over the course of the beta, and at release I'm sure there'll be a blog article or two.

Posts 406
Fred Greco | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 14 2013 8:25 AM

Mark Barnes:

Fred Greco:
Maybe I am thick, but (as usual) when a new Logos feature is rolled out, only a very, very small amount of information is given.

It's only beta 1. They'll write the documentation over the course of the beta, and at release I'm sure there'll be a blog article or two.

Mark,

I understand that, but it would seem to me if that if Logos wants people to beta test a feature, it would make sense to give at least a reasonable description of the function and use of a feature so it can be tested.

Fred Greco
Senior Pastor, Christ Church PCA, Katy, TX
Windows 10 64-bit; Logos 7.1 SR-2 (Reformed Platinum)

Posts 25658
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 14 2013 1:16 PM

Fed

Smart selection is obviously intended for use with extensive highlightingCool

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 1258
LogosEmployee
Dylan Rondeau | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 14 2013 5:02 PM

Fred Greco:
it would make sense to give at least a reasonable description of the function and use of a feature so it can be tested.

The use of Smart Selection is simply to make it faster and easier to select the text you want to select. It changes the behavior of the normal click+drag selection from only selecting the characters you drag over, to detecting the words/clauses/sentences/paragraphs that you show the intention of selecting.

For example, in the sentence "I am testing the new feature for the next version of Logos." selecting "new" will select "new" (reaching the end of a word will select the beginning of the word as well), selecting "new feature" will select both full words, and dragging into any other words will instantly select those whole words. Continuing to drag into any additional sentences will select those full sentences, then paragraphs, etc. 

As for the Alt/Option commands, holding Alt/Option while click+dragging will use the old character-based selection, while Alt/Option & right clicking a word will select that logical "chunk". In our earlier example, Alt+Right click on "new" would select "the new feature". Normal Right click remains as it is currently.

I didn't design the feature, so I only have a functional knowledge of it, but it's something that is difficult to describe but very intuitive once you actually use it. As Mark said we will have better documentation for it later, but I hope this has given you a better idea of what it does. Smile

Dylan Rondeau, Software Tester

Enable Logging: Mac | Windows (Right-click "Save As...")

Posts 10729
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 15 2013 6:29 AM

Dylan Rondeau:
hope this has given you a better idea of what it does. 

Makes sense to me, and I like it Yes

Page 1 of 2 (30 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS