Page 2 of 4 (73 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next >
This post has 72 Replies | 6 Followers

Posts 417
Mark Nolette | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 11 2014 8:39 AM

Did you get it working with Disk Utility? I actually just bought a Mac (my very first) a few months ago, but I couldn't get the process to work through Disk Utility. I have access to a Windows PC occasionally, and the instructions I had were for Windows. That occasional access is one thing that slows down the process of me doing up "translated" directions. Another is the time of year, with Holy Week upon us. But I'll get there. 

Posts 170
NYSERVANT | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 11 2014 9:09 AM

No Disk utility didn't work... So I went back to working on my bootcamp windows.  I downloaded the files from angor's blog.  Here are a few things I may ask quetsions about:

1.  When i went to write 2014-02-28_Android_Kobo_Aura_HD there was an error but it seemed to still have the files on it.  does this sound right?

2.  When I opened Minitool partition I saw 5 partitions:  1. 30mb unallocated, 2. 5.5gb Kobo ExTsD (FaT32), 3. 695mb (OTHER), 4.  198mbmb, 5.  8.4gb (Unallocated).

3.  Am I supposed to drag the folde fix-udev-tgz while the sd card is in?

Maybe we can start with this...The rest seems pretty simple and straight forward..

Posts 417
Mark Nolette | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 11 2014 9:49 AM

1) Do you remember what the error was? It may or may not be significant.  

2) Yes, that is exactly right. In Mini Tool, what you'll want to do is move partition 4 to the back of the card, and then partition 3 right next to it. Then you'll want to use extend partition to lengthen partition 2 to cover all the unallocated space between it and 3. Don't use resize partition for that, because it will expand your partition 2 in BOTH directions! You need that 30 mb unallocated in the front, or you'll never be able to boot from the card. Why that is, I don't know, but that was what happened to me.

3) Yes. Put the sd card in before you drag or unzip those two other files you downloaded. When you first put the card in, your Aura may take a moment or two to check it out. That's normal. Wait for that to finish and then do the fix file and then the dual boot one. The fix file will do its thing quickly. The dual boot file will create a backup on the sd card. That will take fifteen minutes. Once that is done, you should be able to boot into Android the next time you restart your Aura HD. 

Feel free to ask more questions, and I'll get back to you when possible!

Posts 417
Mark Nolette | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 11 2014 9:52 AM

P.S. I tried highlighting and it works fine. Since we're talking grayscale here, you can experiment to see which "color" works best for you!

Posts 170
NYSERVANT | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 11 2014 10:05 AM

Great, thanks for all the info.  This may be a stupid question...but how do you move the partitions... i figured that's what I needed to do but i can't figure out how to move them.  Click and drag didn't seem to work.

Right now I am waiting that 15 minutes for it to reset after the first file was to be dragged over.  Do you think it is too late to extend the partition after it is done?

Posts 170
NYSERVANT | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 11 2014 10:22 AM

Oh and regarding the error.  I went back through and found a program for mac that burns images and it worked that way.  i figured out how to move around the partitions.

I did all that and then I did the final step of moving the folder but it didn't reset for long like the first one did.  So I held the light button when I turned it on to see if it had android...and it restored the kobo...now I have to start all the way over...

Posts 417
Mark Nolette | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 11 2014 10:39 AM

You're probably better off doing it all in Windows from start to finish. Chances are, it can be done on a Mac, but I haven't figured that out yet. 

Here's hoping that it all works the second time around. I thought I had it all done right, and I could not get my Aura HD to boot into Android. I even thought that there might be something wrong with my Aura HD. Turns out, my mistake was filling in that 30 mb in the front. 

Posts 170
NYSERVANT | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 12 2014 8:07 AM

Ok I got it running.  I am a little disappointed in the speed at which Logos runs.  I also noticed that I cannot swipe to turn the pages I can only touch the right or left side and even that is a little annoying.  I think I had higher hopes.  Maybe if it wasn't installed on the SD card it would run faster?

Posts 417
Mark Nolette | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 12 2014 10:26 AM

If you ever opened up your Aura HD (not recommended, by the way), you would find that your "hard drive" is, in fact, a microSD card! Not unusual for small tablets and e-readers. In fact, you can replace the internal SD card with Android, but I don't think it would be that much better. And you'd lose the Kobo e-reader capabilities. 

It is true that Logos will not rum smoothly like you would find on a tablet designed to run Android. But, look at it this way. Your Aura HD is an e-reader. It was not sold with Android in mind. We are trying to run an Android image from a German tablet off an sd card. It's not unlike trying to teach a bear to hop like a rabbit. Bear hops will look less impressive than bunny hops! Considering that the Aura HD is basically an e-reader, albeit an excellent one, the fact that we have what we have in this sd image is pretty amazing. We also are dealing with the assets and the limitations of E-Ink technology. 

That being said, here are a few suggestions to help you get as much as possible out of this setup. Firstly, the microSD card. People who have run ROMs off sd cards in other devices will tell you that the best card for performance is a SanDisk class 4 card. Not a class 10 card. Counterintuitive, but often true. I have found it to be the best as well. Secondly, install Zeam launcher (not easy to find these days, but free) and choose it instead of the launcher that's already there. Zeam takes up less RAM and so you can squeeze out a little more performance there. Besides this, it's possible that Angor and/or the folks at mobileread will continue to tweak the setup and have revised versions that run better overall. 

I felt some disappointment at first, but became more impressed as I used Logos on the Aura HD. Page turns are a bit of a nuisance, but I see this as a glass that's at least half-full, not half empty! I can read any of my Logos resources on an E-Ink display, and do passage guides and word searches to boot. Life is good.  God is even better!

Posts 170
NYSERVANT | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 12 2014 11:33 AM

The two finger scroll works!  And u can hold it like a book atill and use both thumbs

Posts 417
Mark Nolette | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 12 2014 11:47 AM

That reminds me - Logos (and Android in general) on the card seem to take a little while to get fully up to speed. Yes, you can scroll. As you use it, you'll find a few quirks or bugs, but also how to adapt to them. It will grow on you in time.

Posts 170
NYSERVANT | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 2 2014 3:44 PM

Hey Mark,  Have you found any other bug on this setup?  It seems like suddenly the program keeps telling me my username and password is invalid (I've checked, double checks, changed password, changed email, deleted all the "mobile devices" from my account", reinstalled the app, reinstalled android completely).  

I think it might have something to do with the the fact that the date cannot be adjusted.  The date issue also seems to be a reason why reading plans don't seem to sync.  

Any ideas? 

Posts 417
Mark Nolette | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 2 2014 4:57 PM

Hi,

I have not run into that specific bug, but the settings in this version of Android are limited. You won't find much for account settings, and it's hard, if not impossible, to change the date. That probably reflects the limitations of the original Tolino setup. Someone more skilled than I would need to do a few hacks to restore some of those things. 

I haven't run into any Logos bugs yet, though. The app seems to work well. I don't really know why it's giving you those invalid password errors. Here's one thought. I have noticed that sometimes wifi will simply turn itself off for no apparent reason. (That doesn't happen in Kobo's operating system.) Check to see if wifi is actually on when those errors start up. It may be a wifi issue. 

Posts 170
NYSERVANT | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 2 2014 5:18 PM

Thanks Mark, yeah I tried the wifi thing (I noticed that too).  I reached out to angor to see if I can find out about possibly changing the date. 

I'm gonna keep trying to get this working

Posts 104
Bentley Crawford | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 2 2014 5:45 PM

Mark, 

Do you have this set-up up and running? Are you satisfied with it? Have you tried running the Kindle app as well? Thanks!

Posts 417
Mark Nolette | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 2 2014 6:06 PM

Yes, I've had it running for about two weeks now. I was looking for a way to run the Logos app on an E-Ink device so that I could use the Passage Guide and read Logos resources on E-Ink. This setup works well for me for those two purposes, so I am satisfied with it. I haven't tried other Logos features on this setup. I usually do any heavier research on my desktop Logos program. As a bonus, I wanted to be able to install a few other text-intensive apps on this setup. Instapaper works well. I don't use it for video or games, though crosswords and sudoku work fine. 

I installed a version of the Kindle app from someone on XDA developers who adapted the app to look a little better on an E-Ink device (he was using a rooted Nook Simple Touch). I installed that on this setup, and it works fine. I tried the regular Nook app. It installs and runs, but there is something odd about the appearance. When you're reading a page on a Nook book, it's as though there was a crack from the bottom left to the top right of the page. Every word that the crack runs through is slightly separated, like the two halves were tectonic plates that moved just a bit along the fault. Every page has this phenomenon. 

Posts 104
Bentley Crawford | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 2 2014 6:13 PM

Very cool Mark! I'm wanting to do the same thing. I'd like to have it simply as a dedicated reading device to utilize both my Logos and Kindle libraries. Question, does the highlighting and note-taking work well when reading a Logos book?

Posts 417
Mark Nolette | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 2 2014 6:21 PM

Yes, both highlighting and note-taking work well. When you add a note, the background of the note window is dark, but the text you type shows up well enough. Considering that we're talking E-Ink and a device that wasn't designed with such apps in mind, I'm impressed by how well it does work.

Posts 104
Bentley Crawford | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 12 2014 12:48 PM

Hey guys, I finally got my Aura HD in and am getting starting trying to make this work. I'm using a Macbook Pro with Windows 7 running via Parallels. I can't get the Image writing software to work. Neither the WinImage will install nor the USB Duplicator Image writer that Angor linked to. Any help on how I can write the image to my SD card with my setup?

Posts 417
Mark Nolette | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 12 2014 1:31 PM

That's very odd. I did it on a MacBook Pro running Windows 8.1 on Fusion. Did you get any error messages when you tried to install WinImage on Windows? Try running Windows in full screen more (or whatever the equivalent is on Parallels). If you've tried that, or if that doesn't help, you might try this thread on mobilereads.com, as it is more active than Angor's blog: http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=231681

Page 2 of 4 (73 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS