WARNING: SR-2 and Downloads

Page 1 of 5 (88 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next >
This post has 87 Replies | 4 Followers

Posts 24930
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Jan 1 2010 6:03 PM

The latest version SR-2 and recent downloads (the last was c. 1.5 GB) has left many installations in a very unstable state, with L4 crashing, syntax searches crashing, missing Interlinear sections on popular reverse interlinears & LogosLXX, and Biblical people, places and things being greyed out.

My advice, what I'm doing now, is NOT downloading anything until we hear from Logos.

If you want to do this go to Program Settings and set Automatically Download Updates to NO. This gives warning of a download and you can REFUSE it.

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 5564
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 1 2010 11:33 PM

Dave Hooton:
The latest version SR-2 and recent downloads (the last was c. 1.5 GB) has left many installations in a very unstable state, with L4 crashing, syntax searches crashing, missing Interlinear sections on popular reverse interlinears & LogosLXX, and Biblical people, places and things being greyed out.

To this list can be added the following sections of the Bible Word Study:

• Translation
  • Example Uses Grammatical Relationships
  • Preposition Use

Also while the LXX cannot be displayed at all (), and appears to be missing it can be searched!

There are also several missing resources. These include: LXX Logos Morphology, 1000 Bible Images, Cascadia Syntax Graphis of the NT: Glossary; and probably others.

Attempting to access Cascadia Syntax Graphs of the OT, or Lexham Syntax Graphs of the Greek New Testament, crashes Logos 4 (see log file for an instance of the Cascadia OT graphs crashing L4 below).

Logos4.log

EDIT: I agree. This does not seem to be a stable release. While most of these issues cannot be worked around for most users, there are probably a few more unknowns that make me affirm the advice to delay downloading this release until Logos can respond -- probably after the weekend.

If it helps, this is a list of my resource directory contents: Resource.txt

Help links: WIKI;  Logos 6 FAQ. (Phil. 2:14, NIV)

Posts 653
Alex Scott | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 1 2010 11:43 PM

Too bad this happened over the holidays.  Still Logos needs to get this fixed as soon as possible.  This is a disastrous download.  Hopefully, many will heed your warning.  Unfortunately I didn't see it until after the fact.

Longtime Logos user (more than $30,000 in purchases) - now a second class user because I won't pay them more every month or year.

Posts 403
777 | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 1 2010 11:51 PM

Dave Hooton:

My advice, what I'm doing now, is NOT downloading anything until we hear from Logos.

If you want to do this go to Program Settings and set Automatically Download Updates to NO. This gives warning of a download and you can REFUSE it.

Hey,

I'm running this version on 2 computers and it's working BETTER.  Must be all the good karma points that I have here, huh?

Posts 13360
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 2 2010 1:36 AM

For what it's worth, I had major problems with SR-2, but deleting my index folder and rebuilding the index seems to have solved the problems for me.

Posts 64
David Stevely | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 2 2010 1:40 AM

So far no problems running SR2 but I'm nervous now waiting for the crash!

Posts 2736
Bohuslav Wojnar | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 2 2010 2:11 AM

Dave Hooton:

Too late Dave, too late Sad

I need Logos to prepare for tomorrow Sunday so, we will see... Just started to rebuild index on the second computer. Let you know guys if it helps.

Bohuslav

Posts 87
Ray D | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 2 2010 5:02 AM

DavidStevely:

So far no problems running SR2 but I'm nervous now waiting for the crash!

Wow guys. I'm so sorry that you are experiencing such problems. I'm guessing that there must be some commonality to your installations and/or resources. Like David, I have been running SR-2 with no problems at all. Release number: 4.01.3.4767

EDIT: For what it is worth. I went from 4.0a directly to SR-2, never installed SR-1. Not sure if that made any big difference. One thing for sure is that I didn't experienced the big downloads you guys are referring to either.

Posts 4508
Robert Pavich | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 2 2010 5:11 AM

I just deleted my index file as per Mark Barnes...

I'll report back to see if this makes a difference.

Robert Pavich

For help go to the Wiki: http://wiki.logos.com/Table_of_Contents__

Posts 24930
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 2 2010 5:12 AM

Bohuslav Wojnar:
I need Logos to prepare for tomorrow Sunday so, we will see... Just started to rebuild index on the second computer. Let you know guys if it helps.

Thanks Bohuslav. 

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 24930
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 2 2010 5:15 AM

1Peter5:
EDIT: For what it is worth. I went from 4.0a directly to SR-2, never installed SR-1. Not sure if that made any big difference. One thing for sure is that I didn't experienced the big downloads you guys are referring to either.

What downloads did you experience (size and files if possible)?

thanks,

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 2736
Bohuslav Wojnar | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 2 2010 5:21 AM

Dave Hooton:

Bohuslav Wojnar:

Thanks Bohuslav. 

Sorry guys, apparently it does not work. I deleted the index folder and did a new total indexing on my Win 7 notebook. Nothing visible changed. 1000 Bible Images are missing, Biblical Places, Things and People are still grayed (not usable). Sorry. It looks we need to hear from Logos on that problem.

Bohuslav

Posts 4508
Robert Pavich | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 2 2010 5:25 AM

Bohuslav Wojnar:
Sorry guys, apparently it does not work. I deleted the index folder and did a new total indexing on my Win 7 notebook. Nothing visible changed.

Bohuslav,

Why couldn't you have posted this 20 minutes ago? Big Smile

Robert Pavich

For help go to the Wiki: http://wiki.logos.com/Table_of_Contents__

Posts 87
Ray D | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 2 2010 5:30 AM

Dave Hooton:

1Peter5:

What downloads did you experience (size and files if possible)?

thanks,

Hi Dave, how can I tell for sure how big the downlaod was? As I recall it was less than a GIG. When I look in my resource folder, the files that appear to be timestamped when I did the update all appear to be updates to various Bibles: NRS, NLT, NKJV, NAS, LXX, etc.

Can I look elsewhere to be a help?

**EDIT**: For what it is worth to those troubleshooting this, the update to SR-2 for me went off without incident. I have Scholars with some addition unlocks (BDAG/HALOT, WBC, IVP Essentials, Anchor, as well as some other smaller lexicon's/dictionaries and commentaries). I went from 4.0a directly to SR-2. Ran the update on 12/31. Machine is running Windows 7 on a high end notebook.

Posts 1539
Terry Poperszky | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 2 2010 5:34 AM

Just a note of information: I have downloaded SR-2 (Scholars) (and the big downloads) to my two computers and there has been no problem at all. 1 computer is running windows XP SP3 and the other is my Mac running Windows 7 in a Fusion 3.1 VM. The only thing different that I can thing of in my set up is that these machines never ran any of the 4.0a beta versions. I kept that in a different account on my VM and deleted it when 4.0a reached RC status.

Posts 24930
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 2 2010 5:43 AM

1Peter5:

Hi Dave, how can I tell for sure how big the downlaod was? As I recall it was less than a GIG. When I look in my resource folder, the files that appear to be timestamped when I did the update all appear to be updates to various Bibles: NRS, NLT, NKJV, NAS, LXX, etc.

Can I look elsewhere to be a help?

Thanks, that confirms the general nature of the updates.

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 2201
Forum MVP
John Fidel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 2 2010 6:18 AM

Hi Dave,

I updated from the RC2 via the beta to SR 2. I received the first update along with several interlinears around 800megs. And then updated to the fix for the Dec 31 bug separately. I do not have any of the problems outlined in this post except the NLT search on lemmas gives me zero results. I have a desktop computer that also updated fine except for the NLT issue.

The laptop I updated prior to Dec 31, the laptop however was on Dec 31 and required me to use the ctrl function and open to a blank layout. I then updated the 800 megs.

My laptop is running XP via Parallels 5 on a Macbook Pro and the desktop is running XP on a two year old HP.

I can live with the NLT problem and am not going to reindex at this time. I hope this helps you or Logos figure things out.

Posts 1134
Juanita | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 2 2010 6:21 AM

Dave Hooton:

Thanks for the warning, Dave!  And I am sorry others were inconvenienced.   I had learned to wait a couple of days for any downloads and just use L3 for peace of mind and heart; now, I will wait until upgrades or updates to L4 work without complaints.  I might just wait until 4.0b comes out.  Big Smile

Posts 59
Tim Deahl | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 2 2010 6:35 AM

Like some of the others, I'm not having problems with the SR-2 download (running Vista). It has fixed a few items. I am, however, becoming increasingly dismayed at all of the problems associated with using Logos 4. Doing many of the things I have done in the past can now be done only through numerous "work-arounds." AND...I miss the key strokes; virtually forced to use a mouse. Anyone aware of a keystroke to open "highlighting"?

Posts 1341
PL | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 2 2010 7:02 AM

Interesting.  I have Silver running on two laptops:

1. Win7 laptop: No problems, Biblical People etc all showing and working fine, 1000 Images loads up fine.  In the Resource folder, 15 of them (mostly Bibles, OT *and* NT) were updated on 12/30.

2. XP Tablet laptop: Same problems as observed by others, Biblical People etc greyed out, 1000 Images says Resource Missing (but it's not, it's in the Resource folder on both machines with same date and file size).  In the Resource folder,  only 5 of them (NRSVNT, NLTNT, KJV1900OT/NT, ESVOT) were updated on 12/30.

I think both machines received updates < 1GB.  I believe laptop #1 was updated on 12/31, laptop #2 was updated yesterday 1/1.  Maybe that was why?  Maybe the "12/31 fix" broke something if downloaded after 12/31? I also skipped SR-1 and went directly from 4.0a to SR-2 on both machines.  Hope this helps with the troubleshooting. Peter

Page 1 of 5 (88 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > | RSS