the growing library problem.

Page 1 of 2 (31 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 30 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 1829
mike | Forum Activity | Posted: Sun, Aug 31 2014 2:32 AM

Many of the books I've purchased from the recent new base packages became deeply buried & untouched. (those monographs)

Ok, unless I perform a specific search, then they'll show up somewhere in front of me.

My suggestion is: can you guys Logos' smart employees make those books to be "involved/tied/related" to the Sermon Guide, Passage Guide, Exegetical Guide, Topic Guide, etc??

I don't know how, but, make those books become more valuable for us..

Please don't just tell me to do manual prioritization, because how should I prioritize 10k+ books?

Thanks

Posts 26527
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 31 2014 3:06 AM

Most of my monographs are on specific passages or books so I set up collections by book of the Bible and include the collection in my Guide.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 1829
mike | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 31 2014 3:39 AM

yeah, that is very manual for me. You know every single books that you've bought and tagged them. But for small people like me, we don't have those skills and luxury.

Plus, things that you set up just falls under "collection", I want my monographs to fall under everything possible without manual labor work.

Is that too much to ask?

Posts 24928
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 31 2014 6:34 AM

mike:

I want my monographs to fall under everything possible without manual labor work.

Is that too much to ask?

Yes!

Logos provide some tags under the heading of 'Subjects' in Library e.g you can filter Library with subject:Jews. But it soon becomes clear that your ideas of tagging and Logos' don't always agree...so then you have to provide your own tags, which are listed under 'My Tags'.

mike:
Plus, things that you set up just falls under "collection",

But those collections (based on rules like subject:Jews) can be used to filter Library, as opposed to the default of "Entire Library".

Some monographs are tagged internally for use by Logos in Guides e.g. Sermons. Some maps and atlases are used in Bible Facts. But the majority of monographs are waiting for you to tag them. Take a year or so, because your immediate requirements will always drive you. I have tagged only 20% in several years.

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 13360
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 31 2014 7:46 AM

mike:
Please don't just tell me to do manual prioritization, because how should I prioritize 10k+ books?

You shouldn't prioritize monographs, period. It will have no effect.

mike:
My suggestion is: can you guys Logos' smart employees make those books to be "involved/tied/related" to the Sermon Guide, Passage Guide, Exegetical Guide, Topic Guide, etc??

I'm sure they're working on this, though it's not an easy problem to solve.

The relatively simple way of fixing it for now (for passage-based guides, at least), is to create some simple collections, and add collection sections to your Guides. As a minimum you should have a collection for monographs and add that, you may also prefer to add another for monographs you've rated highly. Doing so will only take a couple of minutes.

That won't help with topic-based guides, though.

Posts 3938
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 31 2014 8:45 AM

All but 300 or so titles are in collections in my library now, and all but a thousand (perseus) of my titles are tagged.

It does take a while. But its worth it in the end. I have spent about 30 minutes a day for two months on "library maintenance" which is basically tagging and putting books in collections.

The collections were easy as I simply use the tags from the "theological/denominational tags" thread (a typo early on that has persisted, the thread really is about collections).

I can now search my tags for grieving and baptist, and find a book on grieving from a baptist perspective (or whatever your tradition). I can search for technical commentary Ezekiel (or whatever kind of commentary - exegetical, critical, etc) and have a list of results pop up. for any book in the bible. Its made searching way more effective. but it does require a bit of effort on my part.

But then so does curating your own dead tree library.

L2 lvl4, L3 Scholars, L4 Scholars, L5 Platinum,  L6 Collectors. L7 Baptist Portfolio. L8 Baptist Platinum.

Posts 10178
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 31 2014 9:09 AM

Tagging used to be fairly quick.  You used a text-string to narrow down the list, and then added the tag.  But the 'improvement' now makes the whole process a super-pain.  Luckily I finished my tagging before they improved it.

Posts 26527
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 31 2014 11:30 AM

mike:
that is very manual for me

Not if you use the subject field to create your collections

mike:
ou know every single books that you've bought and tagged them

'fraid not ... I've just trashed my tags and started over about 3 months ago and am slowly tagging according to my new scheme.

mike:
we don't have those skills and luxury.

all of us had to learn the skills - we weren't born Logos-software-literate. I have the luxury/limitations of the life of a retiree who just yesterday got the last child out of the house (again) and has a very elderly mother to care for.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 1829
mike | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 1 2014 10:29 AM

yes, the problem is I've only tagged few of my books. It would take me months even years to go through individual books.

I love to use those GUIDES, but 7 out 10, topics that I'm looking for seldom appear in the GUIDES.

Example:why under "illustration", the books that appeared always the same 5 books. (Mark said we can't prioritize monographs)

Also when we use "collection" search, we still have to "search" between those books...I wish there's an easier way where Logos internally can simplified them into Topic Guide or something. The algorithm of results should be more precise, like Google results or something.

Posts 21918
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 1 2014 11:02 AM

mike:
Example:why under "illustration", the books that appeared always the same 5 books. (Mark said we can't prioritize monographs)

I think the issue here is that it is only a specific set of resources (Logos-defined) which will appear in this section

Posts 332
Steve Farson | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 1 2014 11:31 AM

Just FWIW, I'm with Mike... help make those buried monographs "become more valuable for us."

I've spent serious $$$, but many books go unpointed to or unaccessed.

I see the responses on tagging and collections, but perhaps this can be visited and considered by Logos.

Thanks.

Posts 26527
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 1 2014 12:50 PM

mike:
The algorithm of results should be more precise, like Google results or something.

Google results rarely appear "precise" to me because my searches are out of the mainstream. However, I do think Logos can do better partially by completing the tagging necessary to make particular sections work, partially by improving their sort order or giving the user more control over it, partially by providing more default collections or better support for the exchange of useful collections. And, of course, improving their algorithm although they will never have the base to "educate" the algorithm to the extent Google has.

Posts 1421
Forum MVP
Veli Voipio | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 1 2014 1:01 PM

There is only one mytag field. How about having more mytag fields?

Gold package, and original language material and ancient text material, SIL and UBS books, discourse Hebrew OT and Greek NT. PC with Windows 8.1

Posts 26527
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 1 2014 1:12 PM

Veli Voipio:

There is only one mytag field. How about having more mytag fields?

You may enter many mytags into the field which are treated separately. What we can't do is sort them into a consistent order on a resource.

Posts 24928
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 1 2014 2:53 PM

mike:
yes, the problem is I've only tagged few of my books. It would take me months even years to go through individual books.

The majority of monographs are meant to be read and I've tagged the ones I'm interested in for study e.g. unread, pentecostal, theology, apologetics, creation.

mike:
I love to use those GUIDES, but 7 out 10, topics that I'm looking for seldom appear in the GUIDES.

"topics" in Topic Guide or those that are listed in the Topics section of Passage Guide come from bible dictionaries/encyclopedias, not monographs. You can't wish for a monograph to be something it was not designed to be.

mike:

Prioritizing monographs will not make them useful in Guides. Logos' internal tagging does and we can only recommend that appropriate monographs be tagged for use in certain Guide sections e.g. sermons.

mike:
Also when we use "collection" search, we still have to "search" between those books. I wish there's an easier way where Logos internally can simplified them into Topic Guide or something.

See my comment on topics, above.

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 8893
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 4 2014 6:46 AM

Mark Barnes:

Not entirely true. There are plenty of monographs that exist in different editions/translations and have suitable datatypes: Church Fathers, the CCC, the Code of Canon Law, various papal documents, the Summa... There is no particular need to prioritize them until you find Logos defaulting to another edition than the one you want, but it certainly has effect when you do.

Denise:
Tagging used to be fairly quick.  You used a text-string to narrow down the list, and then added the tag.  But the 'improvement' now makes the whole process a super-pain.

What do you mean?

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 10178
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 4 2014 7:21 AM

I work, using a tag-sort. In the 'old' days, when you added a tag, it didn't immediately re-sort, so I could add multiple tags for each resource. And since I also edit the title,  I have to use a careful strategy to fool the Logos developers.

Playing with Windows Explorer yesterday, I can see what they copied.  When editing Israel geological sections and trying to match up with 2 lists to see what was missing, Explorer would re-sort the minute I edited the filename.  Luckily I found a master list to overcome Explorer.

Posts 8893
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 4 2014 7:48 AM

So your issue is that Logos has become too fast??Surprise That's a new one!Smile

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 10178
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 4 2014 8:26 AM

That's ALWAYS been my complaint with cutie-pie software ... the developers want to out-guess your next move.

And in the old 'PC' days, they had to put in event timers to slow the software down, given the likelihood of a new faster chipset.

Currently my headache is with iPad which USED to not move the list of apps open, when you double-clicked.  Now they move it one-over and I delete the app I'm trying to move to!  Months of trying to use my head have not worked.

To illustrate and just seconds ago (and totally unrelated to libraries), I simply wanted to locate Hazor.  I popped open the Facts tool into a small panel only to have the 'big-picture' locator not re-size and thus be as big as wherever Hazor might be down below.  Lots of mindliess cutsie.

Posts 24928
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 4 2014 3:06 PM

fgh:

Mark Barnes:

Not entirely true. There are plenty of monographs that exist in different editions/translations and have suitable datatypes: Church Fathers,

I had forgotten about the Apostolic Fathers monographs (English) and the use of their Greek text (not monograph) in Word Study guides. Prioritization  affects the reference lookup in resources like AYBD and the Greek text to be searched in Word Study.

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Page 1 of 2 (31 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS