Logos 4 via a Web Browser: Yet Another Beta

Page 3 of 6 (109 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »
This post has 108 Replies | 8 Followers

Posts 2840
Kevin A. Purcell | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 21 2010 6:09 AM | Locked

Love it. Blogged about it.

One thing I have noticed. A search returns links that say Chapter 1 NKJV or whatever reference. But then never tell you what book of the bible or verse it is in. It would be much more helpful if it gave the reference.

EDIT: OK that was while doing a Basic search instead of a Bible search. Bible search does return links with reference in link.

Also, when I went back to it after leaving and did same search, the link then asks to open a file and wants to know what software to use.

Posts 8660
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 21 2010 6:25 AM | Locked

Wow!   This is great so far for being very beta.  I truly can't wait to see what develops here.  This may solve my dilema.  I've been wanting a notebook for the rare times when I want or need to be portable but I don't want to fork over the money to buy a powerful notebook for L4.  This might just be an answer enabling "study light" on a cheap notebook with any power study happening on my desktop. 

Assuming:  Notes, highlighting, etc will sync with it in the future.

Hmm Sarcasm is my love language. Obviously I love you. 

Posts 1721
LogosEmployee
Bob Pritchett | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 21 2010 8:19 AM | Locked

Kevin A. Purcell:
Love it. Blogged about it.

Kevin, would you mind taking the post down? This is a beta, not a public release, which is why we posted it here in the "PC Beta" forum.

I'm sorry we weren't more explicit pointing that out earlier.

It's just so early that we don't want it exposed to people who aren't active participants in the beta and discussion here.

UPDATE: I got confused about which was the private forum. This isn't. :-) But still, I'd prefer to keep discussion and announcement here, and not to be broadcasting it more widely yet. It's very far from done, and we aren't even committed to this look / interface / domain name, etc. yet.

Posts 225
Michael Birney | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 21 2010 8:48 AM | Locked

Worked in firefox for me, but is totally non-functional in chrome.  

On my blackberry when I try to sign in, it signs me in but takes me to logos.com, not library.logos.com.  When I go back to library.logos.com I am not signed in, and the whole process repeats itself.

Edit:  missed the "?beta=false" that goes at the end of library.logos.com.  When I did that it worked fine on my blackberry.

Edit 2:  Chrome is somewhat functional, at first I could not open a book, then I could, but often I had to click the book 4 or 5 times to finally get it to open, it is not this way at all in firefox.

Todd Phillips:

John Fugh, Jr.:
I tried in Firefox 3.5.7 and it did not work. 

It's working in my 3.5.7 FF.

Posts 73
Matthew Godwin | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 21 2010 10:06 AM | Locked

Just fantastic - thanks!

Posts 1416
Wes Saad | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 21 2010 10:27 AM | Locked

Nice work, I like what's up thus far.

Posts 351
Luuk Dondorp | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 21 2010 11:51 AM | Locked

Incredible! Perfect! Bible study to a new level: on the go..! Anywhere and everywhere! Awesome.

Luuk

Posts 24
David Oxtoby | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 21 2010 12:11 PM | Locked

Ok, what's the odds that this web-based Logos4 will tie into Apple's iSlate/Tablet thing on the 27th of this month.........Mmmmm

Posts 2840
Kevin A. Purcell | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 22 2010 7:58 AM | Locked

Bob Pritchett:
Kevin, would you mind taking the post down?

deleted the tweet and removed my post

Was tempted to not since you did announce in a public forum. But I'm a good boy and do as I'm told.

Looking forward to sharing with others.

Posts 3743
BillS | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 22 2010 8:01 AM | Locked

Kevin A. Purcell:
Looking forward

So is your avatar... yet....?

Grace & Peace,
Bill

MSI GF63 8RD, I-7 8850H, 32GB RAM, 1TB SSD, 2TB HDD, NVIDIA GTX 1050Max
iPhone 12 Pro Max 512Gb
Fire 10HD 64GB 7th Gen

Posts 29
Steve M. | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 22 2010 9:29 AM | Locked

Wow, I am very impressed with this.  I was shocked how smoothly it does what it does - the library list and tab behavior.   It also scrolls very smoothly through resources, downloading only what it needs (much more smoothly, in fact, than my regular L4 install which, despite contacting support, still crashes every time I try to use it!).

I use the mobile version fairly frequently on a smartphone, and I see this desktop web version also being very useful, especially if some of the guides are implemented and the word study functionality is carried over from the mobile version (can't find a way to lookup a Greek word yet).  I like it for the same reason I like gmail - I can access the same (quality) functionality from anywhere without the needing to take my own computer everywhere or have fairly advanced hardware.

You may already be aware of these, but here are a couple of problems/limitations I noticed:

In Google Chrome, when I do a Bible search and click on the link to open the resulting references, it tries to download a file (like "LLS$1.0.1026") instead of opening the resource.  It works fine in IE.

Also, I notice that there is currently no way to view full footnotes when the note is longer than will fit in the tooltip.  For instance, viewing the NET Bible on the mobile version gives the full notes at the bottom of the page, but on the beta desktop web version there is no "bottom of the page" (since it just scrolls later in the surface text).

Again, I'm very impressed both with this app and with the general pace at which Logos is developing helpful new tools on the desktop, mobile, and web fronts.  Thanks!

Posts 1539
Terry Poperszky | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 22 2010 9:31 AM | Locked

Bob Pritchett:
UPDATE: I got confused about which was the private forum. This isn't. :-)

It there still a private beta going on?

Posts 8660
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 22 2010 1:22 PM | Locked

Terry Poperszky:
It there still a private beta going on?
Interesting question.

If I tell you no it could mean that it's a private beta and you're not allowed to know about it. 

If I tell you no it could mean that there is no private beta and Bob just thought he posted this there to start with.

No.  Wink

Posts 1539
Terry Poperszky | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 22 2010 4:00 PM | Locked

Thomas Black:
If I tell you no it could mean that it's a private beta and you're not allowed to know about it. 

Incorrect, if you tell me nothing, it means I am not allowed to know about it. If you tell me no and there is, you are lying. If you agreed to lie for Logos, I will have to rethink my assessment of both Logos and you. ;)

Thomas Black:
If I tell you no it could mean that there is no private beta and Bob just thought he posted this there to start with.

Thomas, we need to get you some more coffee. If there is no private beta, how could Bob think he was posting there? I would like to sit in on some of your teaching, given logic like this, it would be entertaining to say the least. Stick out tongue

Posts 8660
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 23 2010 6:44 AM | Locked

Terry Poperszky:

Thomas Black:

Thomas, we need to get you some more coffee. If there is no private beta, how could Bob think he was posting there? I would like to sit in on some of your teaching, given logic like this, it would be entertaining to say the least. Stick out tongue

Ah, but there is a forum appropriately titled Private beta.  And that changes everything.... Wink  (And I'm not lying)  Stick out tongue

Posts 12
Timothy J. Minter | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 23 2010 6:53 AM | Locked

I like this.  Being an attorney, it reminds me very much of Lexis-Nexis or Westlaw, both of which I rely on very heavily. 

Posts 1539
Terry Poperszky | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 23 2010 6:59 AM | Locked

Thomas Black:
Ah, but there is a forum appropriately titled Private beta.  And that changes everything.... Wink  (And I'm not lying)  Stick out tongue

Which means that there is still a level of communication from Bob to those people who have access to that forum that is denied to those people not allowed access to the "Private Beta" forum as opposed to the people in the PC Beta forum. Therefore this means there is still a private Beta going on, in spirit, if not in letter. Surprise

Posts 8660
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 23 2010 8:34 AM | Locked

Terry Poperszky:
Which means that there is still a level of communication from Bob to those people who have access to that forum that is denied to those people not allowed access to the "Private Beta" forum as opposed to the people in the PC Beta forum. Therefore this means there is still a private Beta going on, in spirit, if not in letter. Surprise

I don't think there's been a post there for quite some time sorry, no private beta (and no lie).  [unless of course I'm not invited! Tongue Tied]

Posts 1539
Terry Poperszky | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 23 2010 8:40 AM | Locked

Thomas Black:
I don't think there's been a post there for quite some time sorry, no private beta (and no lie).  [unless of course I'm not invited! Tongue Tied]

Didn't think so, but thanks for confirming. I was just having fun, you presented me with a logic puzzle, and I was just following it to the logical conclusion. (Thank you for the exercise) Big Smile But Bob's words did leave open the possibility. Surprise

Posts 726
Chris Elford | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 23 2010 9:11 AM | Locked

Terry,

To cut through the legalese and illogic, there is a private beta forum that was used during the L4 beta. It is still there but only accessible by those who were part of the original L4 beta and were given permission - sometimes people who were in the beta go back there to cut and paste a response to questions that come up now and again in the open forums or just for nostalgic reasons or maybe to boost their ego that they can go back there -- oops I'm slipping into illogic. There has not been a post in it since Jan 4. So, it is like a tree falling in the forest with no one there - it makes a sound or a non-sound depending on your epistemology.

Thomas may have his access cut off it he continues to avoid coffee.

Page 3 of 6 (109 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last » | RSS