Page 1 of 1 (16 items)
This post has 15 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 15
apeiron | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Apr 30 2015 9:05 AM

I don't see enough "Bang for the Buck" here! Going to have to substantially sweeten the deal. I have a subscription to MS Office for 9.99, to Adobe Acrobat for ~15.00, to Questia for 8.34, to DeepDive for 40.00. I'm willing to pay a fair price for a subscription, but, let's get real. The price is way...........too high when compared with the Market. So, please --- better deal. Say add in some Commentary Sets, access to some leading professional journals (like interpretation, Biblical Theology Bulletin, etc.). Consider offering different subscription levels based on features and content. Good Luck. It would make my day if a search included a the right professional journal and its archives!

Posts 4922
David Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 30 2015 9:43 AM

I don't think that content is likely to be part of LN, but (as has already been suggested) I do think including some kind of up-to-date journal subscription would induce many more subscribers. I don't really expect that to happen, though.

Posts 1882
mike | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 30 2015 9:52 AM

Logos web app would be my deciding point, but as of now the web app is weaksauce. If anything Logos Now worth 2.99 maxed. 

If i think of subscription, i think of mass scale resources & stuffs. But Logos Now haven't delivered anything worth $8.99 at all. 

Visual Copy & media resources has no "download all" buttons. For me that's irritating. 

Amazon Prime, Google Play Music, Netflix have so much to offer .. For the same price or so. 

Subscription these days is equivalent of "buffet style" (All you can eat). 

Posts 30
178294z | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 30 2015 10:16 AM
I'd be in if it offered a journal access option. I like to own resources but journals are different in a way.
Posts 1129
Keith Larson | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 30 2015 10:52 AM

Logos’ weakest area is product launchings. I have yet to see a major version upgrade handled smoothly. The L4 launch was disastrous in my option. After years of investing time and money in the Logos ecosystem I almost jumped ship at that point. Thankfully the launches of L5 and L6 got progressively better, so there is some evidence Logos is learning from past mistakes.

I think part of the problem is that Bob and many of the people at Logos are passionate about what they are doing, they understand where things are going with the product and are justifiably excited about each new upgrade or product. What they don’t understand is that for those of us on the outside we don’t see the “big picture”, consequently they tend to rush their introductions out the door half baked.

You are not the only person who does not see $8.99 worth of product in Logos NOW. I think Bob and the other insiders “see” the value that is coming down the pike. What they don’t understand is that the rest of us do not. Consumers don’t purchase products (especially subscriptions) based on vague promises that “more is coming.” A subscription by its very nature can be picked up or dropped at any moment with no consequence to the consumer. Don’t like the price you are paying for a magazine or cable subscription, call them up and threaten to take our business elsewhere. Nine times out of ten they will offer you “special pricing” to keep you. If their content is not judged valuable they are powerless before the consumer.

Bob thinks subscriptions will offer Faithlife a steady income steam, he better understand that this is only true if he offers a product the customer finds valuable. Just take the cable companies as an example, because they are offering a product the consumer sees as overpriced, consequently their consumer base is migrating over to Netflix!

Posts 3117
David Taylor Jr | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 30 2015 11:48 AM

I did go ahead and stop my auto-renew. I think in the future it will have value, like others have said, when the Web App is, well, more than Biblia.

Teacher, Ministry Leader, Student, Author, Husband

How to upload logs

Visit My Site: Reformed Truths

Posts 15
apeiron | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 30 2015 11:58 AM

The professional journal world is rapidly changing. More open source journals. Most public libraries offer online access to EBSCO, JSTOR, etc. offering free access to a large number of scholarly journals. One needs to stay abreast of current research or they will just end up wasting time "reinventing the wheel". Now one can search through journals using the above gateways, find the right articles, download the pdf copies - open in word - save as .docx - input into Logos 6 as a personal "book". Then it could be searched and incorporated into one's notes, etc. But it would be a super tool if Logos were to partner with the top journals and enable auto access and inclusion in searches.

Posts 28374
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 30 2015 5:32 PM

apeiron:
Most public libraries offer online access to EBSCO, JSTOR, etc. offering free access to a large number of scholarly journals.

For clarification: Those are subscription services and cost the libraries $$$

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 499
SteveHD | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 30 2015 5:55 PM

I have not tried it. I do NOT want them to start including stuff I have paid for. The service needs to always be a supplement or I will want all resources I buy since NOW's inception should be refunded to me and let me just pay the equivalent of 9 a month.

Many have recently bought the NIVAC on sale (about 340.00 for all of it). Great price but not so good if next month someone with only a new $9 subscription has access to it. That would be unacceptable. For the last few years I have bought all those 70% authors that won the contests. Don't want to see all of DA Carson or NT Wright included for 9 a month.

So their task is tough. Do a web app concept with a nifty API and all that good stuff but do not do harm to the people with huge life investments in the client product. Because I also do not like the idea of having several thousand $'s tied up in a client product that is intentionally having features left off that would be of real benefit to it. Features I can only get if I pay the extra to get the 9 a month service.

If NOW ends up being more like an SA (service agreement) that means I get my client (local computer installed version) upgrades included for free each year and everyone, client or NOW, is buying resources then it would make pretty good sense to me. I have yet to understand what it really is though.

I guess this is why I have not signed up yet. Waiting to see what others learn and see how they ultimately define the product to be. In the meantime I love the client product and am thrilled with that NIVAC deal.

Posts 932
Justin Gatlin | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 30 2015 8:47 PM

SHotchkiss:

I have not tried it. I do NOT want them to start including stuff I have paid for. The service needs to always be a supplement or I will want all resources I buy since NOW's inception should be refunded to me and let me just pay the equivalent of 9 a month.

Many have recently bought the NIVAC on sale (about 340.00 for all of it). Great price but not so good if next month someone with only a new $9 subscription has access to it. That would be unacceptable. For the last few years I have bought all those 70% authors that won the contests. Don't want to see all of DA Carson or NT Wright included for 9 a month.

I also do not see much value in LN. But, let me share a story with you that explains why it is of no concern if Logos offers content in a subscription which we already paid for.

1 “For the kingdom of heaven is like a landowner who went out early in the morning to hire laborers for his vineyard. 2 “When he had agreed with the laborers for a denarius for the day, he sent them into his vineyard. 3 “And he went out about the third hour and saw others standing idle in the market place; 4 and to those he said, ‘You also go into the vineyard, and whatever is right I will give you.’ And so they went. 5 “Again he went out about the sixth and the ninth hour, and did the same thing. 6 “And about the eleventh hour he went out and found others standing around; and he said to them, ‘Why have you been standing here idle all day long?’ 7 “They said to him, ‘Because no one hired us.’ He said to them, ‘You go into the vineyard too.’ 8 “When evening came, the owner of the vineyard said to his foreman, ‘Call the laborers and pay them their wages, beginning with the last group to the first.’ 9 “When those hired about the eleventh hour came, each one received a denarius. 10 “When those hired first came, they thought that they would receive more; but each of them also received a denarius. 11 “When they received it, they grumbled at the landowner, 12 saying, ‘These last men have worked only one hour, and you have made them equal to us who have borne the burden and the scorching heat of the day.’ 13 “But he answered and said to one of them, ‘Friend, I am doing you no wrong; did you not agree with me for a denarius? 14 ‘Take what is yours and go, but I wish to give to this last man the same as to you. 15 ‘Is it not lawful for me to do what I wish with what is my own? Or is your eye envious because I am generous?’

Matthew 20:1–15 (NASB95)

Posts 4922
David Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 30 2015 8:52 PM

Smile

Posts 101
Dan Langston | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 1 2015 2:56 AM

Yes

Posts 18
Jerry Foster | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 1 2015 3:26 AM

SHotchkiss:

As they say, prepare to be disappointed.  This is the future.  It is where all software is headed, and Logos needs to move in that direction also or be left behind.  It won't happen overnight, but it will happen.  Transition is always painful.

Posts 269
Greg Corbin | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 1 2015 5:24 PM

I agree with you about "bang for the buck."  I signed up for my free month, but canceled my subscription after only two weeks so that I would not forget and actually get charged the next month. Perhaps the issue is as some have said that Bob and Faithlife see the value in LogosNow that is coming. That may very well be the case. However, I do not authorize any recurring charge to my credit card without knowing for sure the value is there. I will re-evaluate in a few months.  It's really not the money as much as what we get - or don't get - for it.

That being said, I have seen alot of consternation on here about Logos potentially moving to an all subscription model. I agree with those who say that is the future. Personally, I wouldn't have a problem with it as long I still have access to all of the resources I have purchased over the years. Let's say the subscription price ultimately turns out to be $15 per month for access to a huge library, etc. Over three years that would be $540 I would pay. When you compare that to upgrading every three years or so when a new version comes out, then its about the same and Logos would have a steady income stream.

Even if we have to subscribe to a monthly fee in order to get the latest version of the software, I won't have a problem with that as long as I get to keep the books I have purchased. I would only have a problem if a monthly subscription was required in addition to the big cost of upgrading to a new version. BOTTOM LINE:  Logos is a great blessing to my life and ministry and I look forward to studying with it for many years to come.

Posts 352
Cynthia Tucker | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 1 2015 9:23 PM

I think a lot of us who are on the fence are looking for a reason to sign up for the subscription. We love Logos and we want all the goodies it has to offer. Right now those goodies aren't tempting enough, even with the low price tag, because we're comparing what we can get for that price tag in other subscriptions. And a lot of us want books, books, and more books, which isn't included.

For me, Logos hasn't let me down in any significant way since I began my love affair with it more than 15 years ago. And I fully expect that they will eventually offer something in this subscription that would make it a no-brainer to sign up for.

Until then, I'm watching and waiting patiently.

Author of the Chronological Word Truth Life Bible Series

WordTruthLifeBible.com

Posts 1886
LogosEmployee
Phil Gons (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 5 2015 10:40 PM

I address this in another thread.

Page 1 of 1 (16 items) | RSS