New Reformed Commentary Bundle is 75% off!

Page 2 of 2 (25 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 24 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 186
Robert G. Mettler | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 11 2015 4:05 PM

Mark Smith:

Taylor Blomquist:
If you're looking for a way to bulk up your Reformed commentary selection here is a good option. It contains 150+ volumes for 75% off:

Well this is certainly a novel but unsettling way to bundle a set of commentaries - by the author's theological perspective. I imagine some will be glad Faithlife is filtering their options so they don't have to be concerned about having to decide for themselves what commentaries to add to their pristine Reformed libraries.

I suppose this is just the natural outgrowth of the segmentation of the evangelical community Faithlife has already given into. Sad for the church of Christ is my opinion.

Mark,

Now that the web page for this resource has been fixed; it appears this is merely a sub-set of the Reformed Portfolio package, I see nothing wrong with that. One can now acquire these at a price break without having to purchase all of Reformed Portfolio.

Robert

Posts 3054
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 12 2015 7:00 AM

Robert G. Mettler:
Now that the web page for this resource has been fixed; it appears this is merely a sub-set of the Reformed Portfolio package, I see nothing wrong with that. One can now acquire these at a price break without having to purchase all of Reformed Portfolio.

For me it's now showing at 75% off due to a sale, with no Dynamic Pricing (because I have none of those commentaries). This is good.

I too like the idea of collecting commentaries along theological lines. If I were Reformed, I could buy a collection of stuff that I was more or less interested in by default. As a non-Reform Christian, I could still buy the collection if I wanted to flesh out the Reformed perspective in my library.

Now maybe we could get some more commentary bundles... Catholic? Anglican? Lutheran?

Posts 9090
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 12 2015 7:26 PM

Robert G. Mettler:

I note that many of the commentaries offered are selections from larger sets. I note 8 of 15 PNTC in Portfolio are not included, 6 of 13 NIGTC are not included, 12 of 13 Black's NTC are not included, 28 of 41 Focus on the Bible commentaries are not included...

So it isn't a way to get the Portfolio commentaries separately, but just some of the 'Reformed' commentaries among the Portfolio sets. (I cannot verify each author's reformed credentials, but must assume that is the selecting that is going on.) I hate Faithlife doing this for the reason already stated.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 617
Stephen Steele | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 13 2015 8:54 AM

Don't think that's what is going on. Eg Dale Ralph Davis' FOTB commentaries are included but his Micah EPSC isn't (but other EPSC volumes are). Unless his Micah commentary is less Reformed!

Posts 602
Bill Anderson | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 13 2015 12:37 PM

I think the key word in Robert's response is "sub-set." He wasn't talking about getting all of the Portfolio commentaries separately, just a sub-set of them. You may not find value in that but others may.

Page 2 of 2 (25 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS