Page 1 of 1 (20 items)
This post has 19 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 2815
Kevin A. Purcell | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Jun 1 2015 9:45 AM

What happens to the files downloaded to my computer for the free month-long access to special content, after the month is up and I don't buy the books I'm given the preview access to? Do they get deleted or clutter up my hard drive?

I'd like to know because on my Surface Pro 3 and Surface 3 I have limited storage and would hate after a year of subscriptions having precious space eaten up by books I can't open because I don't own them.

Posts 2112
LogosEmployee
Phil Gons (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 1 2015 11:07 AM

We don't delete files automatically at this point. Losing licenses to files has been fairly uncommon to date. With Now and Cloud, it'll be a common occurrence. We'll give some thought to ways to clean up unlicensed files from your drive.

Posts 13417
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 1 2015 11:09 AM

I don't think resources associated with temporary licences get deleted from your hard drive when the licence expires.

I don't believe the index is entirely deleted either, so there may still be some additional clutter there. Rebuilding your index should fix that, at least.

Posts 26595
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 2 2015 3:18 AM

Both are true!

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 107
Andrew Malone | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 3 2015 5:14 AM

Yes I'm happy to encourage Phil's plan to deal with unlicensed files. Today's 3.2GB cloudburst (as they're calling it in another thread) will be kind of messy to mop up – and up to 7GB for some.

Posts 1751
Nathan Parker | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 4 2015 8:27 PM

Deleting resources that are no longer licensed to us is something Logos will need to address, especially after the "you know what" trial has been recently released.

Nathan Parker

Visit my blog at http://focusingonthemarkministries.com

Posts 2112
LogosEmployee
Phil Gons (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 4 2015 10:50 PM

We're aiming to including a "delete locked resources" command in Logos 6.4, which should ship on June 30, just in time for the end of the preview period. It's not for sure yet, but we're doing our best to get it in.

You'll need to rebuild your index through the "rebuild index" command. You can do this before or after running the "delete locked resources" command.

Posts 2626
LogosEmployee
Andrew Batishko | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 5 2015 11:54 AM

The "delete locked resources" command will be available in the next beta release.

Andrew Batishko | Faithlife software developer

Posts 2066
Forum MVP
Reuben Helmuth | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 5 2015 10:04 PM

Andrew Batishko (Faithlife):

The "delete locked resources" command will be available in the next beta release.

Super! 

Might I suggest?... to add a setting in the preferences to "run cleanup on the X day of each month," which would combine the "delete locked" and "rebuild index" commands and run them automatically in the background.

Just a thought!, but it would keep things more streamlined/automated (for those who wanted it). I'd make the setting "on" by default.

Posts 2112
LogosEmployee
Phil Gons (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 5 2015 10:20 PM

Phase 1 was to add the command. We're discussing a phase 2 where we'd automatically clean up locked resources. But we want to make sure to get the details right. If your subscription lapses but you renew it a few days later, we don't want to make you re-download everything again.

Posts 24647
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 5 2015 11:13 PM

Reuben Helmuth:
to add a setting in the preferences to "run cleanup on the X day of each month," which would combine the "delete locked" and "rebuild index" commands and run them automatically in the background

Reuben Helmuth:
I'd make the setting "on" by default.

I would advise against having something on by default which caused a "rebuild index" command to run. This can seriously impact performance for a significant time on some systems.

Posts 959
Yasmin Stephen | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 6 2015 1:52 AM

Graham Criddle:

I would advise against having something on by default which caused a "rebuild index" command to run. This can seriously impact performance for a significant time on some systems.

I concur. The idea of a 'rebuild index' setting on by default just made my blood pressure creep up a little Sad

Posts 2066
Forum MVP
Reuben Helmuth | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 6 2015 7:20 AM

Yasmin Stephen:
The idea of a 'rebuild index' setting on by default just made my blood pressure creep up a little Sad

Ok, OKAY! Let the default be "off" for Windows and "on" for Mac. 😜Zip it!✌🏾

Posts 10819
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 6 2015 7:51 AM

Reuben Helmuth:

Should I assume that you are a Windows user with some sadistic inclinations toward us Mac aficionados? Angry Roll Eyes Devil

Posts 29360
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 6 2015 8:15 AM

Jack Caviness:
Should I assume that you are a Windows user with some sadistic inclinations toward us Mac aficionados?

I would assume the OTHER since he is the one advocating it being turned ON by default. If he were a windows users, why would he advocate it being turned ON for Mac but OFF for windows? Stick out tongue

macOS, iOS & iPadOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 2066
Forum MVP
Reuben Helmuth | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 6 2015 8:22 AM

Jack Caviness:
Should I assume that you are a Windows user

This is TERRIBLE! You used a reference to me (even if only a pronoun) [WITHIN 3 words Windows].😡👹

Just kidding...or almost. My point was that as a Mac user, I didn't think about indexing being a problem. 😉

Posts 2815
Kevin A. Purcell | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 6 2015 8:48 AM

Reuben Helmuth:

Yasmin Stephen:
The idea of a 'rebuild index' setting on by default just made my blood pressure creep up a little Sad

I know you are just kidding, but in case others are reading this and may think Mac doesn't have the same problem... It does. When my MBP has to re-index it slows down terribly.

Posts 2112
LogosEmployee
Phil Gons (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 6 2015 11:03 AM

Yasmin Stephen:

Graham Criddle:

I concur. The idea of a 'rebuild index' setting on by default just made my blood pressure creep up a little Sad

I imagine we'd delete the locked resources after x days, but save the reindex for the next time a complete reindex is in order.

Posts 5201
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 6 2015 11:08 AM

Phil Gons (Faithlife):
I imagine we'd delete the locked resources after x days, but save the reindex for the next time a complete reindex is in order.

When building that functionality, please include an option in Program Settings for users to adjust the x. Some may want never, some 7 days, some 30 days, some 45, etc.

Posts 1471
Angela Murashov | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 8 2015 4:15 PM

Andrew Batishko (Faithlife):

This is now available in 6.4 Beta 4. 

Page 1 of 1 (20 items) | RSS