Would it be Possible to Have English-German dictionary ?

Page 2 of 3 (49 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >
This post has 48 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 3120
Tes | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 4 2010 3:46 AM

Dear Dan,I have written Hade instead of had,sorry for that.

Blessings in Christ.

Posts 3912
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 4 2010 3:46 AM

Tes:

Dear Dan I have understood what you mean now ,I have written Lagos instead of Logos,but I think you understand it what I mean,I know my english is not enough ,but any way I am very grateful to God that he has made it for me possible to communicate with you all in the forum, Ich werde auch weiter machen.Hade it been languages like Tigrinya and Amharic you may not find such errors.

God bless you!

I hadn't seen this post before I posted the last one.  Just to be clear: I am not at all bothered by any grammar or spelling errors that you have in English.  You do quite well in several languages.  Don't even start to hold me to the same standard as you!  I could never make it: the only thing I know in Amharic is "metach!"  (he's coming!!"  the boys used to say it when I walked the halls at Mountain Mission School).  Tigrinya, I know even less!  Peace.

I like Apples.  Especially Honeycrisp.

Posts 3912
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 4 2010 3:48 AM

Tes:

Dear Dan,I have written Hade instead of had,sorry for that.

STOP IT!  Stick out tongue  Now you are making me feel bad!  I have never intended to make fun of your English spelling!!!!!   Reference my just made post about my "skills" in Amharic.  Anyway, now I have to get my kids off to school (after breakfast and devotions.)  peace.

Posts 3120
Tes | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 4 2010 4:38 AM

Sorry,I do not have any intension to make you feel bad,that was a resopnse to your mentioning about Lagos.I am glad for the Amharic verb you have mentioned , ''metach''is  for female,it means ''she has come'' God bless you !

Blessings in Christ.

Posts 19127
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 4 2010 4:43 AM

Dan DeVilder:

the only thing I know in Amharic is "metach!"  (he's coming!!" ...)

That would be an excellent only thing to know in Amharic! (Reminds me of the praise song: "I looked up and I saw my Lord a-coming. I looked up and I saw my Lord a-coming down the road. Alleluia, he is coming! Alleluia he is here! Alleluia, he is coming! Alleluia he is here!")

Oh, but I guess it doesn't really mean that, according to Tes's later post.

Posts 3912
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 4 2010 5:49 AM

Tes,

what is the male version? Matach? (i don't know how spell it at all, even with english letters.  I was just trying to remember how it sounded).

Lol, Rosie, of course, whether in reference to a male or female, the jr. high boys on our REsidence Hall floor did not mean to refer to JEsus, but to the grown up that would soon be near their room and catch them doing something they shouldn't be!  

Posts 19127
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 4 2010 6:47 AM

Dan DeVilder:

Lol, Rosie, of course, whether in reference to a male or female, the jr. high boys on our REsidence Hall floor did not mean to refer to JEsus, but to the grown up that would soon be near their room and catch them doing something they shouldn't be!  

Yeah, I know. I was just saying it would be a useful phrase to know in Amharic so you could say it when it is applicable to Jesus. Why not learn to say that phrase in all the languages of the world. That would be cool! I can think of few others that would be so joyful and that God would be so pleased we had learned. Sure, the usual phrasebook stuff, Hello and Thank you, etc. But to be able to say "He is coming! Hallelujah!" Now that would be something. Smile  (I suspect "Hallelujah!" is the same in just about every language.)

Posts 3120
Tes | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 4 2010 9:35 AM

[quote user="Dan 

Sorry Tes, that was just a joke.  You accidentally misspelled Logos as "Lagos" which is a port city of Nigeria.  I get a little goofy at times.  War nur Spass.  Entschuldigung fuer das Missverstaendnis--ich habe keinen Aerger gemeint!  :)

[/quote

Kein Problem, Dan,Ich habe Dich wohl verstanden.

Blessings in Christ.

Posts 3120
Tes | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 4 2010 9:50 AM

Dan DeVilder:

Tes,

what is the male version? Matach? (i don't know how spell it at all, even with english letters.  I was just trying to remember how it sounded).

Here it is:  Meta means he has come for male. Metu plural they have come,you can use for both male and female. you know my mother language is Tigrinya ,that is the Eritrean language .But for me both languages are relatively the same.But  the church where I am attending ,is Amhfric speaking. So let me even write what it means in Tigrinya Meta means mtsu,for male Metach is Metsaa, Tigrinya is the most difficult language to pronounce it,There is not one that I know who can pronounce the language ,even if he know that means are we do.God bless you all brothers.my e-mail address is Gtesfai AT.Web.de

Blessings in Christ.

Posts 3120
Tes | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 4 2010 10:11 AM

Rosie Perera:
He is coming! Hallelujah!

You are Rosie Halleujah is the same every where,just like Amen.

I would like to translate it, what you have mentioned already to Amharic and Tigrinya

For the pronoun He I am going to use Yesus is coming   the phrase is coming ,that some thing ,which I have to use in Amharic and Tigrinya as futuretense.

Amharic  :Jesus is coming  እየሱስ ይመጣል(Iyesus yimetal)

Tigrinya: Jesus is coming የሱስ ክመጽእ እዩ (yesus kimetsee iyu)

Blessings in Christ.

Posts 3912
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 4 2010 10:27 AM

that script always fascinated me.  looks like little people!  :)

Posts 2084
LogosEmployee
Phil Gons (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 4 2010 10:31 AM

Would you be interested in a public domain German-English dictionary? If so, does anyone know what the best one is? There are several at Google Books and Open Library. Let me know, and we'll see about getting something up on Community Pricing.

Posts 3120
Tes | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 4 2010 10:51 AM

Dan DeVilder:

Dann, you are right,I have laughed alone.Thanks God bless you!

Blessings in Christ.

Posts 19127
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 4 2010 2:15 PM

Dan DeVilder:

Yes, and some of the characters look like tuning forks (which I was just reminded of yesterday, as I had my hearing tested):

Posts 685
Steve Maling | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 4 2010 3:42 PM

Hey, Phil,

I was afraid you guys in Bellingham would never join in on this conversation. Many thanks for doing so:-)

I'd be delighted to start the bidding on a public domain German dictionary on Community Pricing.

But I'm no help on which dictionary to go for, apart from making sure it is not in the (old) Gothic font.

Thank you again for a capital idea.

Steve

Posts 709
Russ Quinn | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 4 2010 4:21 PM

Phil Gons:

Would you be interested in a public domain German-English dictionary? If so, does anyone know what the best one is? There are several at Google Books and Open Library. Let me know, and we'll see about getting something up on Community Pricing.

I'm not familiar with the public domain dictionaries so I would hesitate to make a recommendation on those. Of course, the ideal would be to have Oxford-Duden but it is not public domain. I, for one, would be willing to pay for it.

Posts 2084
LogosEmployee
Phil Gons (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 4 2010 5:20 PM

Russ Quinn:
Of course, the ideal would be to have Oxford-Duden but it is not public domain.

That one's on the list, but until we can get it, perhaps a public domain dictionary would be sufficient. Anything is better than our current offerings. :)

Posts 3120
Tes | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 4 2010 5:53 PM

Rosie Perera:

Yes, and some of the characters look like tuning forks (which I was just reminded of yesterday, as I had my hearing tested):

You are right ,you know this one if you turn it up,it will be an alphabet ,and the alphabet is''Se'' ሰ''  for example if you want to write shalom ,which is peace in english , in our language ,it is Selam ''ሰላም''

Blessings in Christ.

Posts 3120
Tes | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 4 2010 5:59 PM

Phil Gons:

Russ Quinn:
Of course, the ideal would be to have Oxford-Duden but it is not public domain.

That one's on the list, but until we can get it, perhaps a public domain dictionary would be sufficient. Anything is better than our current offerings. :)

I am also interested,but I do'nt know how to involve in the public domain.

Blessings in Christ.

Posts 405
Amy Leung | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 4 2010 7:37 PM

What about a resource that is out of copyright?  A very good one that comes to my mind is the Muret-Sanders Enzyklopädisches Wörterbuch published in 1902.  This is (I think) the precurser to Langenscheidt's 4 volume Enzyklopädisches Wörterbuch which I mentioned in another post.  Angel

The problem is, of course, where to find a hardcopy to work on it!!!  I wonder if it is possible to OCR other people's scanned images?  Or get permission from them to use their work - someone scanned it and is selling it here (as an application with searchable scanned images)? 

http://www.theabsolute.net/dictionaries/#muret

They also carry the Köhler's classic German-English dictionary but I am not too familiar with that one.  I also have the Stardict's G-E dictionary converted to be used in my eReader, but I find it generally inadequate for use (vocabulary too small).  I have downloaded Stardict's Langenscheidt DaF dictionary at one point too but I suspect that one is a copyright infringement.  Wink

Page 2 of 3 (49 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next > | RSS