Change in dynamic pricing for everything

Page 1 of 3 (57 items) 1 2 3 Next >
This post has 56 Replies | 8 Followers

Posts 249
Colin | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Feb 26 2016 1:10 AM

I noticed a question on another thread about the change in dynamic pricing of a particular product.

https://community.logos.com/forums/p/123397/806127.aspx#806127 

An answer was given by FL which speaks of a more general change on all products.

"Yes, we made multiple changes recently that impact Dynamic Pricing across all products.
We changed the formula used to calculate the price which resulted in a small change to all Dynamic Prices across the board. 
In addition, we made adjustments to the SRP of a large number of resources.  This number is the basis by which Dynamic Pricing is calculated.  Many of these had not been maintained over time.  We both raised and lowered them to as closely match the regular price shown on the web as possible. 
As a result of both of these changes, the Dynamic Price on any given collection could go up or down for any individual.  What you would experience depends on what SRP changes were made to resources in the collection, and whether you owned or did not own those resources."

I checked my prices for base packages this morning and all of them have increased, most significantly in the standard base package. I suppose this should come as no surprise with all of the recent, rapid changes we've been experiencing but it's very disappointing. This change affects customers who have already invested in Logos products and increases the price of completing collections or base packages.

Surely the recent tightening of the belt with the major reduction in employees and investment in certain areas of the business should have brought massive savings to the company and made price increases like this unnecessary. 

I am really sad to say that for me it represents one further reason to be hesitant about continuing to buy Logos software. I am really disappointed that like all of the other changes, it was not communicated to customers generally but discovered almost accidentally by a Logos user who was fortunate enough to be answered by a FL employee on the forum.   

Colin. 

Posts 484
Travis Walter | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 26 2016 9:06 AM

Yeah I actually was told about this change before this other post also in a similar thread.

https://community.logos.com/forums/t/122737.aspx

In all my cases all of my dynamic prices went UP.  I'm in a similar boat, honestly it does look like the ship is starting to sink at FL.. At least they seem lost a bit right now..

Way too much swirl going on to make anyone feel comfortable.

Posts 24
Chris Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 26 2016 10:45 AM

My new DP on base packages has increased anywhere from $50 to almost $1000 (Collector's). Unacceptable.

Posts 264
Michael G. Halpern | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 26 2016 10:53 AM

I've spent over $41K on Logos and found Collector's DP has increased for me as well.  I guess they'll never get the kind of money they've received from me over the past 8 or 9 years.  Again, for the fourth or fifth time this week, we should have been informed about these increases that were planned, so we might get in before the increases.  I'm disgusted.

Posts 2749
mab | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 26 2016 12:30 PM

I've grown weary of the ongoing complaints about pricing. Logos has given out numerous free and generous discounts on products for as long as I've used their software. And God has proven to me time and again, that He has bestowed on me blessings through other individuals who have paid for many Logos resources in full.

We are prone to sounding like a bunch of spoiled brats in our rants. There's millions of people who don't even have a Bible. 

The mind of man is the mill of God, not to grind chaff, but wheat. Thomas Manton | Study hard, for the well is deep, and our brains are shallow. Richard Baxter

Posts 2519
Ronald Quick | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 26 2016 2:11 PM

I only checked the upgrade to one of the base packages and it looks to be about the same.  It may have went up about $3.00.

Posts 948
Everett Headley | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 26 2016 2:29 PM

mab:

I've grown weary of the ongoing complaints about pricing. Logos has given out numerous free and generous discounts on products for as long as I've used their software. And God has proven to me time and again, that He has bestowed on me blessings through other individuals who have paid for many Logos resources in full.

We are prone to sounding like a bunch of spoiled brats in our rants. There's millions of people who don't even have a Bible. 

I have likewise grown weary of those who criticize our complaints of how Logos operates.  We pay fairly (even more so?) for what we have.  Their frequency of freebies do not speak to the quality of said freebies (sometimes good, most times not).  

Counting myself blessed for having a Bible, 23 according to Logos, I also count myself blessed for having a software to use with it.  That does not mean that I cannot offer my thoughts, suggestions, and disappointments with Logos about my investment (well over $10,000) and continuing patronage of their products.  They are a Christian business, but they are still a business.  And one that charges  a premium to use.

However, our complaints/gripes/rants should be tempered with grace.  That doesn't mean to not be offered at all.

Posts 1110
EastTN | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 26 2016 2:30 PM

Ronald Quick:

I only checked the upgrade to one of the base packages and it looks to be about the same.  It may have went up about $3.00.

Same here - I'm not seeing any big changes.

Posts 5552
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 26 2016 3:21 PM

It looks like the big thing that Faithlife did was to update their pricing data on a large number of products, which it seems as though they hadn't done in a long time, if ever. I'm having trouble figuring out why correcting outdated data is a bad idea.

Posts 2348
GaoLu | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 26 2016 4:04 PM

Prices change.  So.  I wish everything in the world was free or cheap (inexpensive), but alas it isn't.  So, for better or worse, Logos updates prices and I decide whether or not I will buy. Some things I want, I won't buy.  Some things, as God provides and asking for His wisdom, I probably will. 

Posts 249
Colin | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 27 2016 12:47 AM

My reason for posting was not so much the fact that prices have increased - that is, as many have pointed out, a normal part of business life. I hadn't intended to complain about that. (Though as I re-read my post I realise that's how it comes across). In fact the FL employee also said that some prices have gone down (though no-one has noticed that or posted about it!) My reason for posting was actually to keep everyone informed about the change in the way dynamic pricing is calculated. This was mentioned in a post referring to a specific resource which perhaps everyone wouldn't be interested enough to click on and read. But it's an important post. This is a massive change! It affects every one of us whether we upgrade base packages or buy individual products as they go on sale (or are offered free) with the intention of completing the series/collection/package at some later date. We will now,  it seems,  be getting even less dynamic pricing discount than before. 

There was already quite a complicated formula for calculating  dynamic pricing but we had become familiar with it and MVPs like Mark Barnes often explained it on these forums. It was a fair application of Faithlife's policy not to charge us for the same resources twice. 

I haven't attempted to work out the new formula but Glenn Airoldi said it does not only take into consideration the usual selling price of the resources we have already bought but also other factors.... 

Since dynamic pricing on a collection can affect our decision whether or not to purchase an individual resource I thought everyone should be aware of this through a more general forum post. 

Posts 249
Colin | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 27 2016 12:55 AM

One further implication of this for me and for anyone else who has pre-ordered journal collections is that the price we pre-ordered them at in pre-pub. has now increased! I ordered them back in December for a certain price (and have an email to that effect) but the site now tells me I ordered them at a price which is reflective of the new way dynamic pricing is calculated. 

I can accept perhaps that Faithlife does not make a practice of advertising price increase policies. But where an order has been placed and the terms of that order have now been changed I think we should be getting an email to alert us of the change in price and the reason for it. Is that too much to ask?

Posts 2348
GaoLu | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 27 2016 1:40 AM

I dunno.  Maybe that depends.  

Suppose I sell mousetraps for $10.  I discover that times have changed and my profit is a mere 10 cents.  I better change the price!  Do I owe it to all my customers to tell them beforehand that I am going to raise the price?

If i am raising the price as a marketing ploy to get people to buy now, then I would climb a tree and holler.  Otherwise, maybe I wouldn't.  Just a thought.

Posts 3771
Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 27 2016 2:37 AM

I would echo the sentiment of some with regard to excessive complaining, especially considering our abundance and the destitute estate of many in the world, including from among the people of God. 

It is natural to want better deals and freebies and to be a bit disappointed that the deals are not as good, but the only question that matters is whether the changes are equitable or not (Matthew 20:12–13). Dynamic pricing is not a favour considering that one has already paid for a product. FL does not have to offer it, but it would be a deterrent to buying collections when one has already paid for individual volumes. So, it is not a favor, but an equitable practice. The rate of dynamic pricing needs also to be equitable, that is, proportionate to value spent and the remaining value of the collection. I have not read a comment yet that claims that the new adjustments are not equitable from that vantage point. Until proof of the contrary, I would assume that they are equitable.

What is not equitable is to raise the price of a pre-order: it should be locked at what it was when one pre-ordered it. I think this is a fair request. I would imagine that this may not be an effect of the dynamic pricing adjustment that has been necessarily thought through. I would suggest, for those to whom it applies, bringing it up to sales. 

Posts 249
Colin | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 27 2016 2:40 AM

I love your illustration Gao! 

It is a slightly different scenario though. Here's how I would describe it using your example:

If I was a regular customer and phoned you and asked how much the mousetraps were, you might say, 'Well, they won't come in until next week but they're $10' and I said 'That's a great price! I'll buy one.' But then when you place the order from your supplier you find you'll need to charge $10.50. Do you not think you might pick up the phone and let me know before I drive in that the mousetrap will be in next week but you'll need to charge me more? 

Posts 3308
Whyndell Grizzard | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 27 2016 2:54 AM

I checked some of the items I had on my wish list- yes they have gone up, enough for me to remove them, will not purchase them now unless I hit the lottery.

Posts 13419
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 27 2016 2:58 AM

Colin:
I can accept perhaps that Faithlife does not make a practice of advertising price increase policies. But where an order has been placed and the terms of that order have now been changed I think we should be getting an email to alert us of the change in price and the reason for it. Is that too much to ask?

FWIW, I think that's the least Faithlife can do. My order on the Master Bundle has gone up by 8%.

Posts 733
JH | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 27 2016 5:25 AM

Agreed! Raise prices if you want, but not on already placed orders. That is akin to bait and switch.

Posts 2348
GaoLu | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 27 2016 5:28 AM

Colin:
where an order has been placed and the terms of that order have now been changed

I missed this detail which changes the picture.  

Posts 2809
Jan Krohn | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 27 2016 6:44 AM

That's a known issue. There's a discussion going on in the German forum. Prices of existing order are supposed to be changed back.

Past IT Consultant. Past Mission Worker. Entrepreneur. Seminary Student (VIU).
Christian Debate Forum --- Auferstanden! Blog

Page 1 of 3 (57 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS