Is it possible to share a logos account with a second person?

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
This post has 5 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 161
David Roberts | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Mar 14 2016 11:59 PM

Hi,

My mother is over in Pakistan doing missionary work there.
I was wondering if there's any legal way to share my account with her?
So she can use my library for the training she's doing with the people over there.

I thought it couldn't hurt to ask...

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 15 2016 1:22 AM

The End User License Agreement summary is:

The short version is this: "The license goes with the user. Every user must purchase their own package. If you have a work machine and a laptop and they are both yours for your personal use, you may load it on both for your personal use - because the license goes with the user." Can you purchase one package and have two people use it? No. The license goes with the user. The license is a single user license.

All licenses are single human being licenses. We do not offer site-licenses, shared licenses, co-op licenses, library licenses or multi-user licenses. A church or company may be the purchaser and thus legal owner of the license grant, but may only allow one human being to be the beneficiary of this license grant.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 27266
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 15 2016 5:01 AM

To elaborate: FL has interpreted "one user" to include a non-vocational spouse and/or minor children still living at home. Under these circumstances, however, the license is still for "one user" and all notes, settings, resources etc. would be shared through the various installations. 

Unfortunately, your mother would not fit under "one user."

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 608
Dave Thawley | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 15 2016 5:55 AM

alabama24:
To elaborate: FL has interpreted "one user" to include a non-vocational spouse and/or minor children still living at home. Under these circumstances, however, the license is still for "one user" and all notes, settings, resources etc. would be shared through the various installations. 

I am sorry for the OP that they can't use the license but thanks for highlighting this. I want to let my 11 yo have a look though logos and it is great I can let him. I appreciate FL taking a Christian view on their interpretation of this legal point. 

Posts 274
Average Joe | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 15 2016 10:31 AM

Here is Bob Pritchett's guide for these types of issues (which he posted on the forum nearly 7 years ago):

https://community.logos.com/forums/p/341/3265.aspx#3265 

I haven't seen anything more recent that contradicts that this is still the general philosophy.

Posts 5242
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 15 2016 11:16 AM

You have the legal opinion and the generous leeway granted by Faithlife. The downside to this is all notes and highlights are family wide. Which I have no issue with but I have known others who are particularly fussy about this (and I can understand since one may wish to highlight an occasional word or phrase while another may well want to colour code there entire Bible). You always could let your mother have your password. THIS WOULD BE ILLEGAL... and possibly highly unadvised as if FL realized it they may suspend your account. The do note where one is logged in from, and while a visit may explain the odd distance, continual usage would look extremely suspicious in my mind. I remember hearing about some young people a few years back who did something similar.. I am not sure of the exact numbers but several students tried sharing one base package. Which I would guess they should have realized was highly illegal being in college/university. Years back I did install a Libronix 3 copy on my mother in laws computer for a month to give her a chance to try it and see how she liked it. It unfortunately it did not lead to a sale for Logos but even though I knew it was illegal at that time it felt the best way to demonstrate the programs power to her. It is not the same as sharing an account but your mother could install FL on her phone or tablet and get the benefits offered from the free items and give her an idea of if she might like it... Mother's day is not that far off and a base package might be a great gift (even if it came with a caveat: this is also you Birthday Christmas gift). 

-Dan

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS