Beta 3: Close All Panels button is confusing

Page 1 of 2 (36 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 35 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 25736
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Feb 28 2017 6:56 PM

It is very similar to, and in such close proximity to, the Windows Close button. I think it would be better placed in the Layouts menu where there is already a 'close' button.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 172
Philip Bassham | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 28 2017 7:12 PM
Does seem a little dangerous.
Posts 9138
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 28 2017 7:37 PM

Yes, I could accidentally click on that in its current location. Perhaps it should not look like the surrounding buttons. Make it square, bolder, and color it red (or something like that).

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 28 2017 8:13 PM

Mark Smith:

Yes, I could accidentally click on that in its current location. Perhaps it should not look like the surrounding buttons. Make it square, bolder, and color it red (or something like that).

+1 Yes dislike for current location; suggest moving "Close All" to left of sync arrows (to avoid accidental close of all panels when want help).  Also would like square shape because panels and tabs are rectangular along with Bold and Stop Sign Red (or a shade darker)

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 3701
Forum MVP
PetahChristian | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 28 2017 8:27 PM

Is the icon truly intuitive? Can someone determine by looking at it (without hovering over it) that it closes all panels?

Would it be simpler and more intuitive to say "Close All"?

The other issue is that you have to return to the Home screen to close all panels. That's one extra step, compared to a "Close All" shortcut (which I use regularly).

My top three Logos 9 Wishlist items: Carta, Dark mode, and Hebrew audio bible, please.

Posts 2081
Randy W. Sims | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 28 2017 9:18 PM

While it is in the traditional location for MDI-ish apps (like Notepad++, to name a common example), I have clicked the wrong X in such apps enough times to somewhat agree (though the pull of tradition IS hard to resist). Possible alternatives: 1) simply add to the end of user toolbar and allow the user to move or remove as desired, 2) Change the Help menu to an ellipses menu like Chrome/Firefox and add it as a submenu there, or 3) Add it to every resource menu. Maybe also add a Close all <resource-type> menu item also. Eg, ESV resource menu would have Close, Close all Bible Panels, Close All Panels.

But, please, no red buttons. Stick out tongue

Posts 1517
Forum MVP
Fr Devin Roza | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 1 2017 6:38 AM

Personally I'm happy with it as it is. 

I'm so happy to see it is part of the main interface (e.g. no need to open Layouts menu) and that it is small and simple.

Posts 4768
Forum MVP
Fred Chapman | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 1 2017 7:53 AM

I can see where someone might accidentally hit the wrong button. But I don;t like the idea of hiding it under a menu tab. Prior to this beta, I kept a "close all panels" command icon on the shortcut bar. 

Perhaps a good compromise would be to move it to the left of the sync indicator, or maybe even immediately to the right of the command box.

Posts 10733
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 2 2017 4:35 PM

Fredc:
I can see where someone might accidentally hit the wrong button.

Confused Mac user asks, "what wrong button?" Stick out tongue 

Posts 4768
Forum MVP
Fred Chapman | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 2 2017 8:32 PM

Windows programs have an x at the top left of the screen that closes the entire program

Posts 1373
PL | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 2 2017 9:07 PM

I also dislike having the Close All button so close to Help and Layouts and Sync. Please move it.

I personally never found a need to Close All panels.

Posts 10733
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 3 2017 3:12 AM

Fredc:

Windows programs have an x at the top left of the screen that closes the entire program

Believe you meant "top right." I understand Windows—Just choose not to use it unless forced.

Posts 13398
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 3 2017 4:44 AM

I was just glad to see a "Close All" button, after eight years without one! I use my "Close All" shortcut all the time. I don't really mind where it goes, although I don't think it should be hidden in a menu.

Posts 4768
Forum MVP
Fred Chapman | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 3 2017 9:29 AM

Jack Caviness:
Believe you meant "top right."

I always use the eyes in the back of my head when on the computer Surprise

Posts 4768
Forum MVP
Fred Chapman | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 3 2017 9:30 AM

Mark Barnes:

I was just glad to see a "Close All" button, after eight years without one! I use my "Close All" shortcut all the time. I don't really mind where it goes, although I don't think it should be hidden in a menu.

Yes

Posts 151
Willie | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 4 2017 11:53 AM

Dave Hooton:

I think it would be better placed in the Layouts menu where there is already a 'close' button.

I’m not a beta tester but noticed this thread and appreciate the screenshot.  I agree with moving it to the Layouts menu.

I don’t understand why this button is even necessary since we can already save the “close all” command in our Shortcuts bar and then select whatever design we prefer from the set of available images or create a label such as “Close All”.  I have the command saved at either end of my Shortcuts bar for fast, easy access and it satisfies my needs perfectly.  It seems to me that accessing the command from the Shortcuts bar provides a more customizable alternative which does not clutter the main application toolbar. 

If Faithlife’s final decision is to keep this button on the main application toolbar, I agree with moving it to the left but I would request that no changes be made to its color or design.  Although I don’t think its presence is necessary, I do like its non-distracting light grey color and small, simple design.  Please do not change it to a red or bold color!  This would be very distracting and uncomfortable for my eyes.

To reiterate, I agree quick, easy access to the "close all" command is a necessity, but the Shortcuts bar already provides this and it's customizable.  The "close all" button on the main application toolbar seems to unnecessarily duplicate the same function, add clutter to the toolbar, and present issues due to its location which are not present with the Shortcuts bar.  I believe the best solution is to eliminate the toolbar button, add the command to the Layouts menu, and continue to rely on the Shortcuts bar for primary access.   

Respectfully

Posts 4733
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 5 2017 12:15 AM

I don't much care where the button is placed (I have chosen to have my shortcut just to the right of the 'Go to' bar) providing the 'Undo' function works.

It does not appear to at the moment.

Misclicks are a lot less troublesome if they can quickly be reversed.

Posts 13398
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 5 2017 12:17 AM

Willie:
I don’t understand why this button is even necessary since we can already save the “close all” command in our Shortcuts bar and then select whatever design we prefer from the set of available images or create a label such as “Close All”. 

New users (or even many old users) don't know about the close all command, or how they can drag it to the shortcuts. Whenever I'm demonstrating Logos in class, I can guarantee that I'll be asked how that shortcut can be created.

Posts 1373
PL | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 5 2017 6:48 PM

If that button had to be there for some users, can you add an old fashioned "Are you sure?" confirmation before choosing things?

Alternately, can you just preload a Close All shortcut for new users? That way we can delete it if we don't lie it or use it.

Peter 

Posts 151
Willie | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 5 2017 11:06 PM

Mark Barnes:

New users (or even many old users) don't know about the close all command, or how they can drag it to the shortcuts. Whenever I'm demonstrating Logos in class, I can guarantee that I'll be asked how that shortcut can be created.

Thanks for your reply Mark.  Perhaps you are right and this was their reasoning in adding the button.  I tried and could not think of any other plausible explanation.  I just checked the home page and was surprised to find out the Quickstart or Logos Pro videos don’t contain any video overviewing important basic tips like this for new users.        

I’m hoping Faithlife will someday add user controlled options to hide individual toolbar buttons which a particular user seldom or never uses, finds annoying or distracting, or routinely accesses through a different means.  The following UserVoice suggestion pertains to Resource Panel Toolbar buttons, but the concept could be applied to our discussion here regarding the main application toolbar: https://logos.uservoice.com/forums/42823-logos-bible-software-7/suggestions/16517689-add-an-option-to-hide-any-individual-button-within      

Page 1 of 2 (36 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS