Logos 8 Wishlist

Page 20 of 21 (412 items) « First ... < Previous 17 18 19 20 21 Next >
This post has 411 Replies | 27 Followers

Posts 18
Immanuel Koks | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 10 2018 3:29 PM

I have three suggestions.

first, I wonder if a “search builder” tool might be an important priority. Logos is an amazing data source, but that data is only as accessible as your search capabilities. I think that you should keep the search command syntax for Logos Geeks. But also include  graphical user interface tool for building and combining searches.

Here is the way that Ebsco has implemented the sort of thing I would like to see on logos.

The things I appreciate about this sort of builder are:

1.       I can focus on my search, not the syntax. Drop boxes remind me of what options are available

2.       that I can test each part of the search separately, and then combine them.

second: data is provided in the datasets which is not mineable by user configured searches.

For example, I would like to be able to change the systematice theology data set, to search it by doctrine, then tradition, then references.

So, for example my search string might look like

Dataset:”Systematic Theology” WHERE (doctrine ~ anthropology AND tradition ~ anglican)

It would then produce either a passage list, which I could sorted by hits, of a list of references in my library.

I guess I am asking for to include dataset searching/mining functionality within the search builder.

Third, as a student and academic, I often find myself reaching for resources that I do not own but want to “borrow” for a short time. I would love to see a competitively priced, “library model,” to the entire collection. It would give discounts for what you already own, and access to what I don’t. So, if I hit a link for an item that I don’t own, I can either “buy it” or “borrow it” for a short time, where there was a limit, according your subscription level, on the number of resources that you could borrow at once.

Will those are my thoughts.

Thanks,

Manny

Posts 23
Ken | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 11 2018 4:45 PM

Please continue to update sermon editor.  I found the old sermon file add-in (Logos 4?) easier and more customizable.  Unless I haven't figured it out yet it seems pretty clunky still.
-points, subpoints, etc.
-slides need more flexibility than 1 point per slide.

Copying and pasting Bible text without all the footnoting. I understand copyright but not all the references etc.

Thanks for making this list.

Ken

Ken

Posts 163
Pieter J Kotze | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 11 2018 11:31 PM

It would be great to be able to send or import a Passage List to a Note Document automatically grouping into attachment points by Book or Chapter as selected by the user.

Posts 163
Pieter J Kotze | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 11 2018 11:40 PM

Exporting Notes to a Word Document doesn't show attachment-points. It would be great if all other attachment-points could be exported as "see also: References"

Posts 13
Michael Chan | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 14 2018 3:09 PM

Sorry, I did not have time to read all post in this topic.  For the PC platform, it would be nice to have a human voice read books.

Posts 855
EastTN | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 14 2018 4:22 PM

Immanuel Koks:

first, I wonder if a “search builder” tool might be an important priority. Logos is an amazing data source, but that data is only as accessible as your search capabilities. I think that you should keep the search command syntax for Logos Geeks. But also include  graphical user interface tool for building and combining searches.

Here is the way that Ebsco has implemented the sort of thing I would like to see on logos.

1.       I can focus on my search, not the syntax. Drop boxes remind me of what options are available

2.       that I can test each part of the search separately, and then combine them.

Yes! Yes! Yes!  This is exactly the kind of thing I've tried to articulate in the past.  It would be an incredible help for new users, and a go-to tool for intermediate users. I strongly suspect that, over time, even power users would find it convenient.

Posts 469
scooter | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 14 2018 4:46 PM

EastTN:

Immanuel Koks:

Yes! Yes! Yes!  This is exactly the kind of thing I've tried to articulate in the past.  It would be an incredible help for new users, and a go-to tool for intermediate users. I strongly suspect that, over time, even power users would find it convenient.

Absolutely; would be great.

Posts 17145
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 14 2018 9:51 PM

Martin Folley:
... panels that can be pre-assigned resource types ... I want to say that bibles will open here and dictionaries over there ...

Related UI thread => Why do Books Open in Right Half by Default

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 1445
Forum MVP
Fr Devin Roza | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 15 2018 1:40 AM

Immanuel Koks:

I think this is the most important improvement Faithlife could make to Verbum and Logos currently.

Posts 20
David Christensen | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 15 2018 8:33 AM

Phil,

If someone has mentioned this already, forgive me. The first thing that comes to mind is the ability to search for any book in your library from the new tab page (e.g., something like when you draw the library into its own pane, and it has a search bar; see below). I request this because too often I open a new tab and the resource I would like to open is not recommended, and so I have to close the new tab and go find it in the library. The ability to find any resource in the new tab page would simplify this difficulty. 

Even something as simple as a toggle in the settings to "Use Library tab for New Tab Page" would satisfy my idea here.

Regarding others' comments here about searching, if Logos were to implement a graphical search, BibleArc.com's graphical scholar search is probably the best example. It allows you to build the search string graphically while showing you what that syntax would be so that you can learn that as you go (or not). See example below. It is the single best method of graphical search building that I have interacted with. This incorporates the Logos-esque syntax of verbform@modifiers (e.g., to denote a search for a singular genitive form of a verb) that appears with the rest of the search building process (I will note that Logos does popup after you insert the "verb@" syntax with a nice visual window; however, one must know how to begin in order to get that window). 

Once one has searched the display of the results is also display with a helpful expand button allowing one to see more context in the search window (see below). The expand option displays two or three verses before and after the verse found by the search. Currently something like this only seems to exist in Logos' inline search when searching by paragraph or pericope (I think).

Finally, I will note in passing that constructing the semi-complex search above is not as simple in Logos. The same logical syntax outlined in the textbox of BibleArc does not work in the Logos Bible or Morph search (syntax used sans quotes: "(<Lemma = lbs/el/ἀγαπάω> AND <Lemma = lbs/el/Χριστός>) OR ((<Lemma = lbs/el/ἀγαπάω> OR <Lemma = lbs/el/φιλέω>) AND (<Lemma = lbs/el/θεός>))"). This example is not to say that I could not conduct the same search (I am confident I can in Logos), but it is to say that doing so is not as intuitive as it could be.

My goal in sharing these screenshots is to provide further ideas and concepts for a simpler graphical search overlay/option which Logos could choose to implement to improve an already great resource by making it simpler to do complex searches. 

With joy,

-David

Posts 119
David Manning | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 24 2018 12:21 PM

I will Repost to see if anyone looks:

Logos 8 Wishlist First Post: Posted: Wed, Sep 20 2017 1:06 AM

Logos 7 - 7.0.0.0055     Monday, August 22, 2016

Is there any new status for all the Hype on Logos 8?

MacBook Pro 15" Retina 1TB Flash 2.8 Quad i7 16 GB Ram OSX 10.13.4

iMac 27"3.2 GHz Intel Core i5 - 32 GB Ram 10.13.4

Posts 105
Nick | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 24 2018 8:19 PM

Immanuel Koks:

This is hands-down the best suggestion so far.  If it isn't available on release (since we're presumably getting close) please make this a high priority for a future update.  This would go a long way to make Logos far more user-friendly for entry-level and casual users, or users like me who continue to invest and feel like I still use only a fraction of the capabilities of the software.

Posts 469
scooter | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 25 2018 4:37 AM

Nick:

Immanuel Koks:

This is hands-down the best suggestion so far.  If it isn't available on release (since we're presumably getting close) please make this a high priority for a future update.  This would go a long way to make Logos far more user-friendly for entry-level and casual users, or users like me who continue to invest and feel like I still use only a fraction of the capabilities of the software.

This is indeed the best suggestion!!!

Posts 1692
Mark | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 26 2018 10:07 PM

Adobe PDF reader has a function to "add sticky note" directly on the pdf file.

It would be nice if in Logos resources and bibles, it were possible to do the same thing...to add a sticky note directly onto the file...

Posts 1132
Rick Ausdahl | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 24 2018 6:27 AM

In the popup window that appears when clicking on a word in an interlinear Bible, I would like to see the addition of "pronunciation" as one of the options listed when a Hebrew or Greek word is selected/highlighted.

Posts 1132
Rick Ausdahl | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 24 2018 7:11 AM

For two-finger scrolling purposes on a touchpad, I would like to see ALL scrollable popup windows become the focus of the touchpad when they are activated.

As it is in Logos 7, it's a mix.  Some scrollable popup windows do become the focus of the touchpad and some don't.  Worse, when the popup window does not become the focus, attempting to use two-finger scrolling sometimes just closes the popup window with no other action taken, while at other times, it not only closes the popup window, but also causes one of the open resources in the layout to start scrolling.  Worse yet, the area where the mouse is located in the popup window when you attempt scrolling can determine which panel in the layout will have the resource that begins to scroll as the popup closes.

Please always make scrollable popups the focus of touchpad scrolling.  At the very, very least, please stop the behavior in which a scrolling action closes the popup and starts randomly scrolling another open resource depending on where the mouse was in the popup when the scrolling action was attempted.

Posts 10
Luis F. Acosta | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 25 2018 6:21 PM

It's kind of sad that some people write their wish lists in such...I don't know...acrimonious tones. Maybe there should be a Logos feature that baptizes or converts demanding, condescending, acrimonious posts into Christ-like ones. I get it that the Logos needs improvement, modernization, tweaks, etc. It seems that some users need their own spiritual tweaks. Probably beginning with me. I'm definitely ready for me, version 57.0.

Posts 1881
Beloved | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 25 2018 9:31 PM

David Christensen:

if Logos were to implement a graphical search, BibleArc.com's graphical scholar search is probably the best example. It allows you to build the search string graphically while showing you what that syntax would be so that you can learn that as you go (or not). See example below. It is the single best method of graphical search building that I have interacted with. This incorporates the Logos-esque syntax of verbform@modifiers (e.g., to denote a search for a singular genitive form of a verb) that appears with the rest of the search building process (I will note that Logos does popup after you insert the "verb@" syntax with a nice visual window; however, one must know how to begin in order to get that window). 

Once one has searched the display of the results is also display with a helpful expand button allowing one to see more context in the search window (see below). The expand option displays two or three verses before and after the verse found by the search.

David,

I support this idea! Move in this direction FL.

Meanwhile, Jesus kept on growing wiser and more mature, and in favor with God and his fellow man.

International Standard Version. (2011). (Lk 2:52). Yorba Linda, CA: ISV Foundation.

Posts 2361
PetahChristian | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 2 2018 11:30 AM

PetahChristian:

Some of us have been hoping for a Jewish or Messianic Jewish base package:

Jewish base packages are still at the top of my L8 wishlist, but I'd like to add a wish for Carta to make an appearance! Thanks!

Posts 71
Tim Bray | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 10 2018 2:56 PM

1 - SPEED in the desktop programme - I don't really want to fork out $$$ for a SSD / i7 / 32GB laptop just to run logos at a reasonable speed.

2 - Portability - The ability to transfer the entire logos programme and downloaded library (3000+ resources) to a new PC / Laptop without having to download via the logos servers.

Thanks

Page 20 of 21 (412 items) « First ... < Previous 17 18 19 20 21 Next > | RSS