A humble suggestion for Faithlife

Page 1 of 2 (37 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 36 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 263
Greg Corbin | Forum Activity | Posted: Sun, Feb 25 2018 6:16 PM

Now that I have had the weekend for everything to sink in and look at the FaithlifeConnect options, I have come to some conclusions. I am not interested in FaithlifeTV, only mildly interested in MobileEd, and not the least bit interested in presentation software, and a host of other things. I am ONLY interested in Logos Bible Software remaining viable in the foreseeable future.  I fully understand that the subscription model must be the future and I know that I will have to pay money in order for the software to be updated, maintained, and made viable in future operating systems and hardware. Therefore, I would like to make a humble suggestion to Faithlife....

Give us a yearly subscription fee that would produce enough revenue to make ONLY Logos Bible Software viable for the long term.

I believe many would understand the need for this and be willing to pay it.  I am perfectly willing to pay in order to help ensure my Logos investment remains viable. It's when you start asking me to pay for all of this other stuff that it bothers me. 

Posts 78
Phil Tuften | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 25 2018 10:46 PM

Yes

Posts 67
Paul C | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 25 2018 11:43 PM

I feel I must post my less than humble reaction to your humble suggestion. I bought into Logos based on the promise that the software required to implement my resources would be updated to stay abreast with changes in various OS platforms. ... free of charge. I fully expect them to keep that promise. The only *features" added to the software were not requested by me. I have no interest in the cloud or subscriptions. If at some point the powers that be threaten to break that promise, I will attempt to rely on my backups, And totally sever connection with the mother ship. My goal has always been to have a Bible study program running on my computer independent of the cloud..

Posts 423
Leo Wee Fah | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 25 2018 11:50 PM

Paul C:

My goal has always been to have a Bible study program running on my computer independent of the cloud..

That's exactly what I need...

Posts 3254
Forum MVP
PetahChristian | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 26 2018 1:21 AM

Paul C:

I bought into Logos based on the promise that the software required to implement my resources would be updated to stay abreast with changes in various OS platforms. ... free of charge.

As you know, there is a cost incurred to provide free updates, support, and bug fixes, year after year (especially to customers who stop making new purchases). The reason FL has been trying different subscription-type offerings like Logos Now and Faithlife Connect is to generate revenue to help pay for software/development costs (since they have given away the software).

We should expect that as revenue from book sales decreases (since longer-term customers have most of the books they need) that FL will eventually have to rethink giving away the software for free.

Posts 30
m wilson | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 26 2018 1:31 AM

Paul C:
My goal has always been to have a Bible study program running on my computer independent of the cloud

But isn't that possible now? As far as I can tell, the FLC subscriptions don't impede that yet and FL is saying that you will still be able to buy all the new features in future releases. 

My guess is that there would be almost no outcry here if LN had not existed. Some would be worried about FL going subscription only, but FL's own numbers from LN and Cloud suggest that will never happen. 

People are just miffed because LN was taken away and replaced with something none of them want at a higher pricepoint. Simple soluton as many have said is to offer a features only subscription for those who want new features regularly. For the rest of us who can wait, it's no big deal. 

Paul C:
I bought into Logos based on the promise that the software required to implement my resources would be updated to stay abreast with changes in various OS platforms. ... free of charge.

So it sounds like if they freeze the features and simply maintain the software going forward you are okay with that. Many people probably are, but that doesn't market as well Big Smile

BTW, I own other programs which each have their strengths and weaknesses. I bought into Logos because it has the biggest library and generally better tagging and they do quite a number of things to help keep that expanding like giving free books every month. 

Posts 67
Paul C | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 26 2018 1:57 AM

m wilson:
People are just miffed because LN was taken away and replaced with something none of them want at a higher pricepoint.
Possibly you should say " Some People".
m wilson:
So it sounds like if they freeze the features and simply maintain the software going forward you are okay with that.
The reason it sounds that way is because That's exactly what I said.Big Smile If unchecking "use internet" in the tools menu is the only way to keep a working copy of the software without subscribing to something. ... So be it.

Posts 67
Paul C | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 26 2018 2:13 AM

PetahChristian:
As you know, there is a cost incurred to provide free updates, support, and bug fixes, year after year
My portion of that cost was paid when I made what i considered to be a substantial outlay of cash. Just because they have ventured off into unprofitable ventures, doesn't change their original agreement with me. Bad planning on their part does not constitute an emergency on my part.

Posts 67
Paul C | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 26 2018 2:28 AM

m wilson:
But isn't that possible now? As far as I can tell, the FLC subscriptions don't impede that yet
But "yet" is the keyword. If F.L. adapts the OP'S humble suggestion, they would be breaking their commitment to supply FREE updates.

Posts 30
m wilson | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 26 2018 2:40 AM

Paul C:
Possibly you should say " Some People"

Yes, "some people"

I must say that my only interest is that I want to protect my investment. I bought my library and want to keep it as long as possible, and not get strung along buying stuff I don't need (like is happening to me with Adobe) just to be able to use the product I already own going forward. But protecting my investment means I hope Logos is around for along time and succeeds, and of course, there is no free lunch there:)

Posts 67
Paul C | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 26 2018 3:10 AM

Don't Yall see that the FL  business model is privatize the profits and socialize the losses? Why is it that all development costs must be met by the customers before moving forward with a project? And with that massive head start they still manage to come up short. So who is responsible for supplementing those losses ..... via monthly subscription?

Posts 67
Paul C | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 26 2018 4:38 AM

I've made my pitch. I've also made my choice. I've decided to grant you folks the right to be wrong and just move on...... God Bless

Posts 42
Fos Zoe | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 26 2018 9:26 AM

I am sure they would take donations.Big Smile

Posts 1893
Donnie Hale | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 26 2018 9:30 AM

Greg Corbin:
Give us a yearly subscription fee that would produce enough revenue to make ONLY Logos Bible Software viable for the long term.

I pretty much suggested the same thing, and Bob's reply was: I know, and I'm sorry that particular option is going away... but it wasn't solving the problem for the costs to support it.

See https://community.logos.com/forums/p/160552/957648.aspx#957648

-Donnie

Posts 557
Jesse Blevins | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 26 2018 9:58 AM

Maybe the answer is simply that Logos as a company needs to downsize. 

Cutback in the areas that aren’t viable.

Maybe it’s time that Bob “fires someone today.” 

Posts 5098
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 26 2018 11:33 AM

Jesse Blevins:

Maybe the answer is simply that Logos as a company needs to downsize. 

Cutback in the areas that aren’t viable.

Maybe it’s time that Bob “fires someone today.” 

They have done that multiple times. The problem is FL is trying to be all things to all people and has gone off in too many tangents away from their core product and invested in ‘features’ in the core product nobody really asked for and are nothing more than marketing hype.

Posts 10232
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 26 2018 11:53 AM

Goodness, guys, when’s the FL funeral?

- Now was $8 per mo per person. If it ALL went to salaries and benies, how many Now’ers needed vs experienced coders?  Then subtract all the discounts and marginal freebies. It could never work, absent a MAJOR participation.

- Proclaim turned profitable a ways back.

- They bought a pretty decent church management position

- And they’re well into education and maybe Christian household teaching support

And for $8/mo you want it all trashed?

Posts 67
Paul C | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 26 2018 2:44 PM

If me withholding my $8 put them under, they were on life support already.

Posts 142
James Macleod | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 26 2018 3:08 PM

Paul C:

I bought into Logos based on the promise that the software required to implement my resources would be updated to stay abreast with changes in various OS platforms. ... free of charge. I fully expect them to keep that promise. 

As a software developer myself, I believe this is unrealistic. It costs lots of money to maintain and update software. It is also not reasonable to expect them to keep a legacy, free version for you. Whatever promise you feel you were given should probably be forgotten. You don't want Logos to go out of business any more than the rest of us. Markets and situations change.

Anyways, you CAN upgrade to their latest version free so they are fulfilling their promise to you.

Like others, I don't care about presentation software, TV, or Mobile ed. There are better options for those things, in my humble opinion.

Posts 67
Paul C | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 26 2018 3:51 PM

James Macleod:
Whatever promise you feel you were given should probably be forgotten.
James Macleod:
Anyways, you CAN upgrade to their latest version free so they are fulfilling their promise to you.
So which is it? A promise I "feel" I was given and should forget, or a  promise they are keeping for the moment because They and everyone else concerned knows that it is a promise made from the early days to the present. (unless and until they can find a way to wiggle out of it) 

Page 1 of 2 (37 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS