A proposal that benefits everyone

Page 4 of 6 (118 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 Next >
This post has 117 Replies | 6 Followers

Posts 2235
Beloved | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 17 2018 11:41 AM

Rick Ausdahl:

OK ...I did both of the above in an effort to get a reverse interlinear feature for the NIV84 Anglicised version of the Bible.  I.e.,

• I sent an email via the New Book Suggestion email link.
  • I submitted a UserVoice entry.

The UserVoice entry is located at:

https://suggestbooks.uservoice.com/forums/308269-book-suggestions/suggestions/34269283-reverse-interlinear-for-the-holy-bible-new-intern

OK, I contributed 3 votes towards the cause even though I already have NIV84 and would prefer KS4J's solution/suggestion.

Meanwhile, Jesus kept on growing wiser and more mature, and in favor with God and his fellow man.

International Standard Version. (2011). (Lk 2:52). Yorba Linda, CA: ISV Foundation.

Posts 1377
Rick Ausdahl | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 17 2018 4:53 PM

Beloved:

Rick Ausdahl:

OK ...I did both of the above in an effort to get a reverse interlinear feature for the NIV84 Anglicised version of the Bible.  I.e.,

• I sent an email via the New Book Suggestion email link.
  • I submitted a UserVoice entry.

The UserVoice entry is located at:

https://suggestbooks.uservoice.com/forums/308269-book-suggestions/suggestions/34269283-reverse-interlinear-for-the-holy-bible-new-intern

OK, I contributed 3 votes towards the cause even though I already have NIV84 and would prefer KS4J's solution/suggestion.

Thanks, Beloved!  In referring to KS4J's solution/suggestion, I assume you mean what he said in the excerpt below that I pulled from his post.

Dreaming of 1984 & 2011 NIV with primary surface text and alternate anglicized (so could display either English version as desired) along with Reverse Interlinear with original language alignment.

But I'm not sure I follow what that would look like.  I.e., is it actually different than what I'm requesting?  I was asking for a reverse interlinear only for the 1984 UK version because I thought the 1984 and 2011 US versions both already have the reverse interlinear feature--the problem being we can no longer buy the 1984 US version.  We can still purchase the 1984 UK version--but it doesn't have the reverse interlinear feature.

As is often the case, I guess I'm just confused.  Tongue Tied

Posts 17826
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 17 2018 6:46 PM

Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :):
Dreaming of 1984 & 2011 NIV with primary surface text and alternate anglicized (so could display either English version as desired) along with Reverse Interlinear with original language alignment.

Thankful for 1984 & 2011 NIV with Reverse Interlinear resources. Dream expands Reverse Interlinear to Anglicised 1984 & 2011 NIV along with alternate text for interlinear display.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 2235
Beloved | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 19 2018 5:32 PM

Rosie Perera:

Beloved:

Beloved:

I have started a Book Suggestion page for this work, I link to the page here. Show your support by voting.

bump link

This is the actual link (that which you posted was just a search string for finding it; works OK, but this gets you right to the page of that suggestions):

https://suggestbooks.uservoice.com/forums/308269-book-suggestions/suggestions/34160098-a-greek-english-lexicon-of-the-new-testament-and-o

I too am fortunate to have the 1979 edition too, but I think it's an excellent suggestion so I expended a full 3 votes for it.

bump Show FL you mean business Vote!

Meanwhile, Jesus kept on growing wiser and more mature, and in favor with God and his fellow man.

International Standard Version. (2011). (Lk 2:52). Yorba Linda, CA: ISV Foundation.

Posts 1690
LogosEmployee
Bob Pritchett | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 21 2018 5:34 PM

When we stop offering an old edition in favor of the new edition, it's almost always the publisher's decision, not ours.

In the case of BAGD and NIV84, I know for certain it's the publisher's decision. 

I'm pretty certain that both publishers feel strongly about this -- particularly on the NIV -- but will ask our Publisher Relations team to take another look.

I'm sorry for the frustration.

-- Bob

Posts 2235
Beloved | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 21 2018 6:15 PM

Bob Pritchett:

When we stop offering an old edition in favor of the new edition, it's almost always the publisher's decision, not ours.

In the case of BAGD and NIV84, I know for certain it's the publisher's decision. 

I'm pretty certain that both publishers feel strongly about this -- particularly on the NIV -- but will ask our Publisher Relations team to take another look.

-- Bob

Thanks Bob,

For the quick follow up on my call. I really appreciate your response to this popular issue. Anything you can do to move the ball forward we will support. I plan to call Univ of Chicago Press and plumb them on this issue and report back here and would appreciate if you will do the same.

Posts 2056
Forum MVP
Randy W. Sims | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 21 2018 6:32 PM

The only digital copy I have for niv84 is in a competitor. I asked if they would throw in a copy when buying a library package. I don’t know if that was bending the rules or breaking them. I just mention it because I wonder if some non-conventional arrangement might be made. Giving it away might not be an option, but attached to an academic bundle seems reasonable. They may not want it available for general distribution but perhaps limiting sales to academics or academically minded people in high level base package or bundled with some other resources with a premium price is an option. Hopefully in a way profitable to everyone, but certainly it and BAGD are resources that would generate a great deal of good will.

Posts 1942
Joseph Turner | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 22 2018 4:14 AM

Bob Pritchett:

-- Bob

Just to be clear, this thread seems to have gotten off into a general request for the NIV84 and BAGD.  Again, that is great, but my original suggestion provides a possible solution to all similar situations where the publisher only stands to gain.  Please consider the actual first post, and don't just have your team call and ask if Logos can start selling the older resources again.

Disclaimer:  I hate using messaging, texting, and email for real communication.  If anything that I type to you seems like anything other than humble and respectful, then I have not done a good job typing my thoughts.

Posts 2235
Beloved | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 22 2018 4:47 AM

Joseph Turner:
Just to be clear, this thread seems to have gotten off into a general request for the NIV84 and BAGD.  Again, that is great, but my original suggestion provides a possible solution to all similar situations where the publisher only stands to gain.  Please consider the actual first post, and don't just have your team call and ask if Logos can start selling the older resources again.

Joseph,

Obviously, I'm not Bob and if he hasn't read your initial post he should. When I call Chicago today I will be using your idea to tout bundling BDAG and BAGD with dynamic pricing included. I haven't forgotten your original novel idea.

Posts 954
JohnB | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 22 2018 4:48 AM

Joseph Turner:
ust to be clear, this thread seems to have gotten off into a general request for the NIV84 and BAGD.  Again, that is great, but my original suggestion provides a possible solution to all similar situations where the publisher only stands to gain.  Please consider the actual first post, and don't just have your team call and ask if Logos can start selling the older resources again.

Yes

Posts 1377
Rick Ausdahl | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 22 2018 3:02 PM

Randy W. Sims:

The only digital copy I have for niv84 is in a competitor. I asked if they would throw in a copy when buying a library package. I don’t know if that was bending the rules or breaking them. I just mention it because I wonder if some non-conventional arrangement might be made. Giving it away might not be an option, but attached to an academic bundle seems reasonable. They may not want it available for general distribution but perhaps limiting sales to academics or academically minded people in high level base package or bundled with some other resources with a premium price is an option. Hopefully in a way profitable to everyone, but certainly it and BAGD are resources that would generate a great deal of good will.

I would be very disappointed if this path was followed.  I'm not an academic (professor or student), but I have the full sets of many (most?) of the mainline commentaries (including those in the one through five top slots in Best Commentaries) and am often dealing with the situation of the commentaries referencing the NIV84, which I have not been able to purchase.  I don't think I should have to be an academic or buy high-end bundles at premium prices, just to have access to the NIV84.  I feel like I've paid my dues and then some. 

Posts 1377
Rick Ausdahl | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 22 2018 3:10 PM

Joseph Turner:

Bob Pritchett:

-- Bob

Joseph, there's no doubt (at least on my part) that your original suggestion would be a great standard operating procedure and be a win-win for publisher and customer alike.  It would be nice if Faithlife could pursue this as a general business effort, but based on Bob's comments, it sounds like they might have to pursue it on a case by case basis (at least initially), and being dependent on sufficient demand at the individual resource level.

I would be delighted though if it were the norm for owners of the new to have the option to own the old as well.  Smile 

Posts 135
Manuel Maria | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 23 2018 3:30 PM

YesMe too!!!

Posts 2235
Beloved | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 26 2018 10:07 AM

The Editor for Chicago Press was away on vacation. I will contact him this coming week after Memorial Day. Bump

Posts 4834
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 30 2018 2:07 AM

Rick Ausdahl:

Randy W. Sims:

I would be very disappointed if this path was followed.  I'm not an academic (professor or student), but I have the full sets of many (most?) of the mainline commentaries (including those in the one through five top slots in Best Commentaries) and am often dealing with the situation of the commentaries referencing the NIV84, which I have not been able to purchase.  I don't think I should have to be an academic or buy high-end bundles at premium prices, just to have access to the NIV84.  I feel like I've paid my dues and then some. 

I have NIV84 in Logos but I agree with you this would be poor outcome if only those in the Academic crowd could purchase it.  It should be available to all to purchase. 

Posts 9967
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 30 2018 6:28 AM

Rick, just waiting for Phil's follow-up; not changing the subject.  Of course there's the sleepy-heads waiting for a Carta answer too.

But I wonder if there's a book on the sociology of Christianity (not religion; that's 'of course'). I'd really enjoy such a book. Reader's Digest humor hints at it.

I just really wonder what could drive 'no NIV84!!!'. It's like there can only be one NIV (ok, two, one with funny word choices). In the old days, it was two book inventories, etc. Then people getting all mixed up, 'Which NIV??'.  Maybe that's the issue .... old fogies at NIV Inc.

OTOH, there could be the Coke problem. The new one tastes suspiciously Pepsi-ish. Or the Wendy's argument: 'Where's the beef?!'.

Posts 1377
Rick Ausdahl | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 30 2018 9:07 AM

Denise:

Rick, just waiting for Phil's follow-up; not changing the subject.  Of course there's the sleepy-heads waiting for a Carta answer too.

But I wonder if there's a book on the sociology of Christianity (not religion; that's 'of course'). I'd really enjoy such a book. Reader's Digest humor hints at it.

I just really wonder what could drive 'no NIV84!!!'. It's like there can only be one NIV (ok, two, one with funny word choices). In the old days, it was two book inventories, etc. Then people getting all mixed up, 'Which NIV??'.  Maybe that's the issue .... old fogies at NIV Inc.

OTOH, there could be the Coke problem. The new one tastes suspiciously Pepsi-ish. Or the Wendy's argument: 'Where's the beef?!'.

Thanks, Denise!  I've been up and about for over six hours, and I just experienced my first auto-reflex grin of the day.  Truth be told, I had three or four before I finished enjoying your post. SmileBig SmileSmile

Posts 2235
Beloved | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 1 2018 9:57 AM

I received a response from Alan G. Thomas Editorial Director this AM and it was disappointing. He indicated that "there is very little possibility that we could offer Danker's Greek-English Lexicon of the New Testament in more formats than we currently do." I hope that FL can convince them to reconsider, as he didn't directly comment on the second edition. Sorry folks, I tried.

Posts 1942
Joseph Turner | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 1 2018 4:21 PM

Beloved:

I received a response from Alan G. Thomas Editorial Director this AM and it was disappointing. He indicated that "there is very little possibility that we could offer Danker's Greek-English Lexicon of the New Testament in more formats than we currently do." I hope that FL can convince them to reconsider, as he didn't directly comment on the second edition. Sorry folks, I tried.

To me that is an answer to a question that wasn't specific enough.  BAGD has already been made available in Logos.  I have it now.  It automatically downloads under my account.  There is nothing new that they have to do besides allow it to be sold again.  If someone purchases an old version with BAGD, then it will be applied to their account, so it is currently available in that format.

Disclaimer:  I hate using messaging, texting, and email for real communication.  If anything that I type to you seems like anything other than humble and respectful, then I have not done a good job typing my thoughts.

Posts 2235
Beloved | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 1 2018 4:45 PM

Joseph Turner:

Beloved:

To me that is an answer to a question that wasn't specific enough.  BAGD has already been made available in Logos.  I have it now.  It automatically downloads under my account.  There is nothing new that they have to do besides allow it to be sold again.  If someone purchases an old version with BAGD, then it will be applied to their account, so it is currently available in that format.

Joseph,

You're very perceptive. I wrote a reply to his answer which I reproduce here:  

Thank you for your timely response. Sorry if I did not make myself clear. What I and many users are requesting is that your organization make   the second edition available once again in digital format for Logos Bible Software. Anything you can do to further this request would be   greatly appreciated.

If there is anything you would change, I would be glad to pass it along.

Page 4 of 6 (118 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 Next > | RSS