Duplicate a BibleWorks feature in Logos

Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
This post has 13 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 5
Mark Fuss | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Jun 13 2018 8:16 AM

I have been a BibleWorks user since 2000 and, so, was quite sad to learn of its. I am obviously quite invested in the program, both financially and in terms of the sheer amount of time I have spent in the program. Although I have had a license for Logos for a few years now, I am only now starting to make use of the program in earnest. Logos will replace BibleWorks in my work flow. One BibleWorks feature that I have found to be indispensable over the years is the Report Generator. For those of you who are familiar with BibleWorks, is this something that can duplicated in Logos? I know that I can find the same information in Logos (the "Word By Word" feature), but I cannot find a way to format this information in manner in which I have grown accustomed.

I have attached an image from the BibleWorks site that shows the Report Generator in part. I do not currently have access to my computer with BibleWorks installed, else I would have provided a more detailed screenshot.

The Report is on the right side of the image. There you can see the Greek text and underneath that is the verse word morphology with each word on a separate line. This is what I want to be able to duplicate in Logos.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Posts 9133
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 13 2018 8:31 AM

You’ll get lots of ideas.

But it seems you don’t want the fancy exegetical guide, word by word.

A reverse interlinear is close. But horizontal, not vertical. Hmmm.

Posts 5
Mark Fuss | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 13 2018 8:40 AM

The Word by Word feature is very powerful and I may have to adjust to it. I was trying to find a way to keep to the work flow with which I am familiar.

I am very impressed with Logos; it is far more powerful and complex that I had imagined.

Posts 17021
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 13 2018 9:31 AM

Mark Fuss:
... you can see the Greek text and underneath that is the verse word morphology with each word on a separate line.

Older library may have Lexham Syntactic Greek New Testament Expansions and Annotations. Syntax search resources may also be useful to visually show word relationships (with Logos Greek Morphology codes plus literal translation):

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 17021
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 13 2018 9:40 AM

Mark Fuss:
I am very impressed with Logos; it is far more powerful and complex that I had imagined.

My favorite feature is visual filter highlighting so can "see" range of Greek verbal expression. Logos wiki has => Examples of visual filters

Thread => more inductive symbols has screen shots showing Precept visual filters combined with Greek Morphology.

Thread => TIP: singular or plural pronoun? (visual filter) has screen shots showing propositional outlines combined with visual filters

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 19397
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 13 2018 1:43 PM

I wonder if this combination is helpful to you

1. The "Expansion and Annotations" resource in the middle (that KS4J mentioned above) shows information for each word. (It is available as part of a feature set - I don't know if it is included in the Bibleworks migration packages)
  2. I have "linked" this to the GNT on the left (using linkset A - which is why you see the small letters A) and the interlinear capability of this resource also shows parsing information. You can choose a range of options here
  3. On the far right - the Information Panel - is set to provide details of individuals words as you hover over them (you can also set it to update on Click)

Would this combination help at all?

Posts 1882
John Fidel | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 13 2018 2:01 PM

I have used both Logos and BW for a long time. I have never used the report generator in BW other than trying it when it was introduced.

The report generator adds this information as a note or editor file to be saved. Logos generates much of the same information, but not as a note file. There are many ways to approach getting the same information as shown above. For me the Exegetical Guide, Text Comparison and Lexicons in a layout provides similar information. You can link things together so as you move through the pericope the information moves with you.

Here is a screen shot of Rom 8.29 focused on "predestination."

The exegetical guide will provide the information on each greek lemma in the verse as shown below.

ESV is my default English text.

Text Comparison shows various texts you can set to your liking.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Posts 5
Mark Fuss | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 13 2018 2:01 PM

Thanks to all for the wonderful suggestions. I will take the time to play with all of them. In time, I am sure that I will come up with something that will work. BW spoiled me with the Report Generator feature Smile. I just need to get accustomed to the Logos way of doing things.

Posts 1882
John Fidel | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 13 2018 2:10 PM

Mark,

There is all the information at your fingertips with any of these setups. Here are a few more screenshots:

Posts 5
Mark Fuss | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 13 2018 5:10 PM

Again, my most heartfelt thanks for all of the suggestions. As I stated in my last post, I just need to keeping learning Logos and how to best put its power to work. The one feature of the BibleWorks Report Generation that made it so helpful to me but that I forget to mention is being able to print the report and use it in that way. I typically use paper and pen for my note taking, so printing the report fit right into my workflow. I look forward to learning and working with Logos.

Posts 25823
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 13 2018 6:00 PM

Mark Fuss:
Again, my most heartfelt thanks for all of the suggestions. As I stated in my last post, I just need to keeping learning Logos

Hey Mark! If you are subscribed to this thread, you will continue to get emails anytime someone responds. If you no longer wish to receive emails, make sure to click the "stop sending me emails" link at the top right of the thread. 

OSX & iOS | Mac Logs | PC LogsInstall

Posts 9133
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 13 2018 6:38 PM

Mark Fuss:

... The one feature of the BibleWorks Report Generation that made it so helpful to me but that I forget to mention is being able to print the report and use it in that way. I typically use paper and pen for my note taking, so printing the report fit right into my workflow. I look forward to learning and working with Logos.

Not sure you wanted to know how, but if so, printing is by resource or tool panel (eg Exegetical Guide). For any such panel, the box in the top-left has a menu. About half-way down is Print / Export.

I'm guessing, given your enjoyment for paper, that you'll have to pick 'one' (though like BW, the Exegetical Guide allows picking, choosing, and ordering sections ... the Add button on the right).

Posts 3861
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 14 2018 2:13 PM

I suppose most of the information could be copied, pasted into a note in logos (or word processor outside of) and then printed.

In seminary my favorite roommate always printed everything and used 20000 bits of paper with quotes, or other things he wanted to remember written and printed all over them. It seemed as though he had to put in a lot more effort with his method.

PLUS our apartment looked like this:

Absolutely covered in sticky notes, and note book paper.

He just didn't like computers. To each their own I suppose :)

L2 lvl4, L3 Scholars, L4 Scholars, L5 Platinum (etc),  L6 Collectors. L7 Baptist Silver

Posts 8
LogosEmployee
Mark Ward | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 14 2018 4:53 PM

Mark Fuss:

... The one feature of the BibleWorks Report Generation that made it so helpful to me but that I forget to mention is being able to print the report and use it in that way. I typically use paper and pen for my note taking, so printing the report fit right into my workflow. I look forward to learning and working with Logos.

@Mark Fuss, a few years ago I made the same transition you're making, from using BibleWorks for all textual work to using Logos for that work. Logos has a slightly different approach here. It "generates reports" in its guides. The Exegetical Guide is probably the closest approximation, and you can watch a training video on that tool here:

https://www.logos.com/logos-pro/exegetical-guide

The tool looks up lexemes automatically, provides links to textual-critical information, shows where your passage is discussed in grammars, and does other great stuff. And the guide is editable, just like the BibleWorks Report Generator. You can customize any of our guides, in fact. But I'd start with the Exegetical Guide if you like the Report Generator in BW.

Page 1 of 1 (14 items) | RSS