The Complete Word Study Dictionary: New Testament - issue

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
This post has 8 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 142
John Hapgood | Forum Activity | Posted: Sun, Jun 24 2018 1:11 PM

Whenever I "mouse-over" a Strong's number in The Complete Word Study Dictionary: New Testament, the resultant pop-up info gives the article info twice as shown in the attached image. I think it did this with Logos 4 as well. It's been bugging me for a long time (years) - does anyone know why it does this and if there's a cure?

Oops. Actually I'm using Logos 6 but it did it in 5 as well. I don't see a way to edit the post location

Posts 1628
Robert M. Warren | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 24 2018 6:55 PM

Hi John:

I have seen something similar to this where a personal book is tagged with a bible link to a specific bible version (e.g. '[[John 3:16 >> logosres:NASB;ref=Bible.John 3:16]]') such that the popup provides the tag-specified version, then the preferred (or highest priority) version below it.

Maybe your issue is the resource has a lexicon-specific link tag and is also tagged with a Strong's # that causes an automatic popup, and you're getting the specified resource on top and your highest priority Strong's # resource at the bottom. In this case, they're the same. Try prioritizing another lexicon highest and see if the bottom part of the popup changes. If it does, it's probably a resource bug. Your resource looks like it came from an older third-party bundle, so I don't know if it will get fixed (although Logos still sells the bundle). If you can still edit your post, add "BUG-RESOURCE" as a prefix to the Subject line and it might get noticed by Faithlife.

Win7/10 Android/Fire OS 5 | Fully Blinkered Calvinistic Baptist

Posts 17328
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 24 2018 8:49 PM

John Hapgood:
Whenever I "mouse-over" a Strong's number in The Complete Word Study Dictionary: New Testament, the resultant pop-up info gives the article info twice as shown in the attached image.

Right click shows two Greek Strong's numbers:

Pop-up shows Complete Word Study Dictionary entry first with second one showing highest prioritized lexicon:

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 1628
Robert M. Warren | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 25 2018 3:38 AM

Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :):
Right click shows two Greek Strong's numbers

Interesting; in my bible example that also happens, i.e., two Bible references.

Posts 1628
Robert M. Warren | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 25 2018 3:41 AM

Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :):
Right click shows two Greek Strong's numbers

Interesting; in my bible example that also happens, i.e., two Bible references.

Posts 9162
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 25 2018 3:45 AM

John Hapgood:
Actually I'm using Logos 6 but it did it in 5 as well.

Curious: is there a special reason for you using an outdated version of Logos? This specific behavior won't change (as it is probably not a bug, but an uncommonly-looking feature), but Logos 7 is free and may even come with some additional features and resources. 

Running Verbum 7 and Logos 8 latest (beta) version on Win 10

Posts 142
John Hapgood | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 25 2018 8:39 AM

I don't have any dictionaries or lexicons prioritized, only Bibles. I'll play around with it and see what happens.

Thanks guys.

Posts 2019
Beloved | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 25 2018 5:33 PM

John Hapgood:
Whenever I "mouse-over" a Strong's number in The Complete Word Study Dictionary: New Testament, the resultant pop-up info gives the article info twice as shown in the attached image.

The reason for my post is two-fold, to add to your understanding and to be corrected and thus learn if I go astray in my reasoning. First, the behavior you report is expected and has a purpose. It allows for instant preview of both the Strong's and Enhanced Strong's Lexicons entries once properly prioritized. 

The way I ordered my lexicons is a study in, what is in my opinion, an advantageous system of setting up the lexicons. I will share with you the part of it that concerns your question and leave the rest to your own specific choices. For the Strong's I selected the Enhanced edition and set it for Advanced prioritization for Greek Strong's Number. That way when you mouse over the Strong's Number it will display both the Strong's entry and the Enhanced Strong's entry, this I believe is the intended purpose of this feature. Parting, here's a helpful thread on prioritization. Pay particular attention to Dave Hooton's posts: https://community.logos.com/forums/t/147424.aspx?PageIndex=1   

Meanwhile, Jesus kept on growing wiser and more mature, and in favor with God and his fellow man.

International Standard Version. (2011). (Lk 2:52). Yorba Linda, CA: ISV Foundation.

Posts 17328
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 26 2018 7:18 AM

Beloved:
Parting, here's a helpful thread on prioritization. Pay particular attention to Dave Hooton's posts: https://community.logos.com/forums/t/147424.aspx?PageIndex=1 

Another thread => searching strong's numbers includes lexicon prioritization discussion.

Keep Smiling Smile

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS