NEBRL for Win 3.1 or Win 95

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
This post has 6 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 2
John Oliver | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Aug 25 2018 1:21 AM

I am reinstalling the above program on to a Windows XP laptop for an elderly friend who had it installed on an XP desktop that has crashed. I have reinstalled the program as per the manual's instructions.

My query is, can the contents of both CD#1 and CD#2 be permanently loaded into the computer so that the program will run with the complete library WITHOUT having to insert one or the other CD in the drive? On his previous computer, someone had been able to do this for him, but that person is no longer available.

It appears that when he does an identical search that he used to do on the previous system, he gets fewer results than before. I assume that this is because the system can not search all contents for both CD's.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, as my friend loves bible study but is not computer literate. 

Posts 17909
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 26 2018 12:01 PM

John Oliver:
I am reinstalling the above program on to a Windows XP laptop for an elderly friend who had it installed on an XP desktop that has crashed.

Welcome Big Smile

Curious if friend synced NEBRL (Nelson Electronic Bible Reference Library) licenses online when Libronix servers were operational ?

If so, then installing Logos 7 using same email address (for NEBRL license sync) would download licensed resources. Also, => Basic and => Verbum Basic are free.

John Oliver:
My query is, can the contents of both CD#1 and CD #2 be permanently loaded into the computer ...

Logos Blog from 26 Feb 2008 => https://blog.logos.com/2008/02/still_accessing_libronix_resources_from_your_cds/ has how to copy CD content to hard disk.

FYI: since Faithlife turned off their Libronix servers, support page for Libronix 3 now redirects to Logos 7 purchase.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 2
John Oliver | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 26 2018 4:42 PM

Hi Thanks for your reply. I will attempt the solution given on the web link you gave. 

in answer to your comment re if "my friend" synced NEBRL at the time. He has never had an internet access or had an email address, so I doubt it ever was. Also he wants to retain the old version, that he has used for many years and knows. He is not very computer literate.

We keep smiling because of our assurance of the love of our Lord and Saviour.

Posts 17909
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 26 2018 7:01 PM

John Oliver:
in answer to your comment re if "my friend" synced NEBRL at the time. He has never had an internet access or had an email address, so I doubt it ever was. Also he wants to retain the old version, that he has used for many years and knows. He is not very computer literate.

Did your friend have notes in Libronix ? (only existed on hard drive)

Libronix 2 and 3 can easily be installed without internet access. Logos 4 and newer are technically challenging to install without internet access (along with needing an email address for Faithlife account). After initial installation, Logos 4 and newer can be used offline (without internet access: recommend changing program setting Use Internet to No).

Libronix was installed for all users of a computer while Logos 4 and newer are installed per user, which allows both to be used at the same time.

Thankful for Logos 4 Mac Alpha pre-releases so learned Libronix (on Windows) has similar user interface conventions (albeit looks different). Search is implemented differently so a number of searches in Logos 4 and newer are noticeably faster than Libronix. Regression is notes display as Libronix could show more (using Internet Explorer 8 display engine).

FYI: Libronix work around for Internet Explorer 9 is using legacy javascript.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 82
Kristine Lewis | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 27 2018 10:40 AM

My NEBRL is an old Logos 2.0 LLS product, before Libronix.  One of the library books is NEBRL User Guide.  In it, under System, see Title Librarian.  It instructs how to move books from CD to the hard drive.  About CD#2, the little booklet that came with my Basic edition has a section What about this CD#2 in my Basic or Deluxe Edition?  The answer is that CD#2 contains additional titles for unlocking with purchase (not possible by this method at present).  One can view CD#2 after installing NEBRL with CD#1 in the drive by choosing File - Restart with new CD, then insert CD#2.  I expect all the CD#2 titles will show as locked, not owned.  The license file for this installation is the file LOGOS.LSB.  I just bought this old NEBRL for a friend, old stock but new in shrinkwrap (I will take a photo of it to document it is new). I will install it and generate in Windows XP or Vista a resource license file and email it to Faithlife Customer Service and request it to be synced to the owner for use in current version Logos, someone who has an internet connection.

Perhaps your friend had purchased a separate Logos 2.0 LLS product.  If that disc can be located the additional resources can be added to the NEBRL installation.

Posts 17909
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 27 2018 1:22 PM

Kristine Lewis:
My NEBRL is an old Logos 2.0 LLS product, before Libronix.

Years ago, freely upgraded Logos Library System 2 (LLS) to Libronix 3.0g followed by sync of licenses, which enabled resources to be used in Logos 4 and newer.

Faithlife has a web page => https://www.logos.com/redeem to associate a new Libronix serial number with your Faithlife account, which enables those resources to be used in Logos & Verbum.

Faithlife shut down Libronix servers on 1 Oct 2017 => ANNOUNCE: Discontinuation of Libronix Services Note: due to security protocol changes, Libronix servers had effectively been unusable for over 2 years (so could not sync licenses nor update an existing installation using a script).

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 2394
David Ames | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 27 2018 6:02 PM

John Oliver:

We keep smiling because of our assurance of the love of our Lord and Saviour.

Does he have a floppy disk backup of his license file? Back then we saved our license file to a floppy.  [[or maybe to somewhere on the old hard drive.  and hope that that file can still be recovered]]

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS