Collector's has too many CLASSIC COMMENTARIES??

Page 2 of 2 (29 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 28 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 352
Batman | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 1 2018 8:27 AM

Is this a possibility? Esp. on those extreme collections?
While reading the thread, I had a thought that maybe Logo/FL could do a "pick and choose" for their packages. Of the 200 billion resources (exaggeration) offered, maybe there could be pick so many from each category. Or, maybe, better yet, a new "Build your own". Obviously, the prices would vary greatly, depending on what was picked and from what category. 
Just a thought; maybe a crazy idea, and too complicated. 

Posts 86
William Walker | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 3 2018 8:32 PM

Phil Gons (Faithlife):
If the latter, we're working on a feature that we hope to include in a future release that may help with this. It would allow you to send some resources to the cloud and not have them installed on your local machine. They'd be in a separate category in your library and in a separate section in search, without taking up space on your drive, bandwidth to download updates, or CPU cycles to index. (Over time we'd hope to integrate cloud resources into other parts of the app like various guide sections. Eventually, we may explore streaming cloud resources, if there's enough interest in it and it's technically feasible. But initially you'd need to download a resource to view search results or open it in the web app.) This could be a possible solution to your problem, if it falls more into the second category above.

Thank you very much for that information Phil.

My preference would be cloud storage with selective download rather than streaming as streaming would require always on internet connection.  Many of us still have the need to work offline. The best of both worlds would be to have the choice.

Posts 1812
LogosEmployee
Phil Gons (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 3 2018 8:38 PM

Batman:

While reading the thread, I had a thought that maybe Logo/FL could do a "pick and choose" for their packages. Of the 200 billion resources (exaggeration) offered, maybe there could be pick so many from each category. Or, maybe, better yet, a new "Build your own". Obviously, the prices would vary greatly, depending on what was picked and from what category. 

We've talked about this for years. It would be quite complicated to build, but perhaps one day.

Posts 1812
LogosEmployee
Phil Gons (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 3 2018 8:39 PM

William Walker:

Phil Gons (Faithlife):
If the latter, we're working on a feature that we hope to include in a future release that may help with this. It would allow you to send some resources to the cloud and not have them installed on your local machine. They'd be in a separate category in your library and in a separate section in search, without taking up space on your drive, bandwidth to download updates, or CPU cycles to index. (Over time we'd hope to integrate cloud resources into other parts of the app like various guide sections. Eventually, we may explore streaming cloud resources, if there's enough interest in it and it's technically feasible. But initially you'd need to download a resource to view search results or open it in the web app.) This could be a possible solution to your problem, if it falls more into the second category above.

Thank you very much for that information Phil.

My preference would be cloud storage with selective download rather than streaming as streaming would require always on internet connection.  Many of us still have the need to work offline. The best of both worlds would be to have the choice.

Streaming resources wouldn't be in place of cloud resources with selective download. It would be in addition to it. This would mean you could open a resource from the cloud and then decide whether to download it for offline use or not.

Posts 86
William Walker | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 3 2018 8:43 PM

Phil Gons (Faithlife):
Streaming resources wouldn't be in place of cloud resources with selective download. It would be in addition to it. This would mean you could open a resource from the cloud and then decide whether to download it for offline use or not.

Awesome!!  That is the best of both worlds.

Thank you so much Phil.  That made my day to know this is in the works. Smile

Posts 1812
LogosEmployee
Phil Gons (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 3 2018 8:48 PM

William Walker:

Phil Gons (Faithlife):

Awesome!!  That is the best of both worlds.

Thank you so much Phil.  That made my day to know this is in the works. Smile

Just to be clear, the first part (cloud resources with selective download) is in the works and could release in one of the first several 8.x releases. The second part (streaming resources) is an idea we may pursue in the future, but it's far from "in the works." :)

Posts 86
William Walker | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 3 2018 8:53 PM

Phil Gons (Faithlife):
Just to be clear, the first part (cloud resources with selective download) is in the works and could release in one of the first several 8.x releases. The second part (streaming resources) is an idea we may pursue in the future, but it's far from "in the works." :)

That is perfect for my use case with a large library and some windows 10 devices with smaller hard drives.  For now the first part is all I'm interested in.  Thank you again Phil.

Posts 86
William Walker | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 3 2018 9:09 PM

Sorry if I went a bit off topic in my replies to Phil.  In response to the OP:

mike:

I feel that the Collector's Edition has way too many Classic Commentaries, too many fluffs still. (for me at least)

What do you guys think?

I don't think we can have enough of the classic commentaries and older resources.  Someone once told me they prefer to read resources from the dead writers since their ideas and commentary on the scriptures have had more time to challenged and evaluated in the lens of time.  I would tend to agree.

Posts 352
Batman | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 10 2018 9:09 PM

Thanks. Yup figured it would be, but a thought

Phil Gons (Faithlife):

Batman:

We've talked about this for years. It would be quite complicated to build, but perhaps one day.

Page 2 of 2 (29 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS