Logos 8 Upgrade Packages

Page 1 of 2 (37 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 36 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 1353
Paul Caneparo | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Apr 3 2020 4:25 AM

I'm looking for some advice.  I'm considering upgrading from the Free L8 to Bronze as there's a promotion at present with 30% off.  I'm quite tempted by two of the Bronze packages.  My questions are:

1. If I buy 2 packages does dynamic pricing apply as there would be a fair bit of overlap - I assume "yes"?

2. Could I expect to get 30% off both packages? 

Posts 1400
HJ. van der Wal | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 3 2020 4:53 AM

Shalom Paul!

If you want to buy more than one base package I would advise you to contact a sales representative at Faithlife. Someone from Sales will be able to calculate the dynamic pricing and tell you in advance how much you have to pay for a combination of two (or more) base backages. 

https://www.logos.com/contact 

Edit: Just to be clear, the answer to both of your questions would be "yes". 

Posts 1353
Paul Caneparo | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 3 2020 4:55 AM

HJ. van der Wal:

Shalom Paul!

If you want to buy more than one base package I would advise you to contact a sales representative at Faithlife. Someone from Sales will be able to calculate the dynamic pricing and tell you in advance how much you have to pay for a combination of two (or more) base backages. 

https://www.logos.com/contact 

Thanks. I was thinking of doing that. Do you think it's possible the 30% will apply off a combined order?

Posts 1400
HJ. van der Wal | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 3 2020 5:00 AM

Paul Caneparo:

Thanks. I was thinking of doing that. Do you think it's possible the 30% will apply off a combined order?

Yes (I just edited my first reply).

When Logos 8 first came out I bought several base packages and the discount applied to the entire order. 

Posts 2088
Joseph Turner | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 3 2020 6:00 AM

Paul Caneparo:

I'm looking for some advice.  I'm considering upgrading from the Free L8 to Bronze as there's a promotion at present with 30% off.  I'm quite tempted by two of the Bronze packages.  My questions are:

1. If I buy 2 packages does dynamic pricing apply as there would be a fair bit of overlap - I assume "yes"?

The proven best way to buy base packages is to by the smaller one first, then the next level up, then the next, etc... until you get to the level you want to end at.  I know it sounds crazy, but I did the Messianic purchases that way after getting advice on the forums and it definitely works.  I will find the thread for you.  Buy one by one from the smallest to the largest for the biggest discount.  Sales will not advise or does not know that it works this way.  

I found the thread here.

Disclaimer:  I hate using messaging, texting, and email for real communication.  If anything that I type to you seems like anything other than humble and respectful, then I have not done a good job typing my thoughts.

Posts 1353
Paul Caneparo | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 3 2020 6:03 AM

Joseph Turner:

Paul Caneparo:

The proven best way to buy base packages is to by the smaller one first, then the next level up, then the next, etc... until you get to the level you want to end at.  I know it sounds crazy, but I did the Messianic purchases that way after getting advice on the forums and it definitely works.  I will find the thread for you.  Buy one by one from the smallest to the largest for the biggest discount.  Sales will not advise or does not know that it works this way.  

Thanks Joseph. I was thinking of 2 different Bronze packages as they have different commentary sets at incredible prices, but it's good to know about future upgrades.

Posts 2088
Joseph Turner | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 3 2020 6:08 AM

Paul Caneparo:
Thanks Joseph. I was thinking of 2 different Bronze packages as they have different commentary sets at incredible prices, but it's good to know about future upgrades.

I did somewhat misread your original post, but keep in mind if you are going to Bronze then you will need starter as well, so you should get starter first and then bronze.  Which two Bronze Packages are you looking at?

Disclaimer:  I hate using messaging, texting, and email for real communication.  If anything that I type to you seems like anything other than humble and respectful, then I have not done a good job typing my thoughts.

Posts 10895
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 3 2020 6:11 AM

Paul Caneparo:

Paul, this advice doesn't have to be limited to buying packages in order "up". It's more related to the percentage discount a BP will give you. Say your two packages give 83% and 87% discount, respectively. To minimize your spend you first buy the one with the higher discount.

However, since you would take the discount percentage for the new books you receive(i.e. dynamic price in relation of full price of the books not owned), not the one for all books, it may theoretically be the case that this percentage changes after the first buy. Typically it does not, and typically Logos sought to align those discounts anyway, so this all may be moot for you, but especially with expensive packages up the chain people found some dollars additional savings.   

Running Logos 8 latest beta version on Win 10

Posts 1353
Paul Caneparo | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 3 2020 6:34 AM

Joseph Turner:

Paul Caneparo:

I did somewhat misread your original post, but keep in mind if you are going to Bronze then you will need starter as well, so you should get starter first and then bronze.  Which two Bronze Packages are you looking at?

I was looking at the Bronze Standard as that has the Cornerstone, Holman NT and Calvin commentaries. Plus the Messianic Bronze as that has Wiersbe OT and Life Application commentaries. 

Why would I need the Starter too? Doesn't Bronze come with the Starter resources? Unless it's because it's cheaper to buy starter and then bronze. But keen to get 30% off on everything.

Posts 189
Manuel Maria | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 3 2020 7:12 AM

Yes, Paul, it is usually cheaper to buy starter first, and then bronze. You can ask customer service the price of upgrading. And, by the way, you will see deeper discounts on silver packages once you've purchased bronze.

Posts 4
Keith Jenkins | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 3 2020 8:34 AM

I am also currently using the free version and considering my first package purchase with the current sale.  I want to get into a silver package.  I chatted with customer service this morning and they said purchasing Starter, then Bronze, then Silver would Not be cheaper.  Has anyone actually done this recently?  I think I've read in the forums about people having mixed results with this - like this strategy may not work if you are buying for the first time.

Posts 1353
Paul Caneparo | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 3 2020 9:02 AM

Keith Jenkins:

I am also currently using the free version and considering my first package purchase with the current sale.  I want to get into a silver package.  I chatted with customer service this morning and they said purchasing Starter, then Bronze, then Silver would Not be cheaper.  Has anyone actually done this recently?  I think I've read in the forums about people having mixed results with this - like this strategy may not work if you are buying for the first time.

Josh Weaver from sales contacted me and was able to calculate the permutations for me. His email follows the standard Faithlife format.

Posts 2088
Joseph Turner | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 3 2020 10:14 AM

Keith Jenkins:

I chatted with customer service this morning and they said purchasing Starter, then Bronze, then Silver would Not be cheaper.  Has anyone actually done this recently?  I think I've read in the forums about people having mixed results with this - like this strategy may not work if you are buying for the first time.

As linked above, my results were as follows:

Mine turned out as follows:

Starter          8.87    Purchased

Bronze        33.42       19.93    Purchased   

Silver          87.21        66.50        36.24     Purchased

Gold         172.75       148.51      113.30         71.40   Purchased

Platinum   218.57       193.19      156.39       112.70       38.53     Purchased

Diamond   615.99       590.46      553.50      509.70      435.51       397.08

So basically, my original price for Platinum was 218.57, and I paid 174.97 by working up to it.  I have not purchased Diamond, but my price would go from 615.99 to 572.05.

Posts 945
Dale E Heath | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 3 2020 11:51 AM

Since the 30% discount is reusuable, it should be cheaper to do as Joseph suggests and purchase the smallest/largest discount first and then work your way up. Figure it out and then verify with CS. They should be able to compare all the variables for you.

Posts 1013
Mike Pettit | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 3 2020 11:57 AM

Whatever you do, only buy one package at a time or you will end up paying double for any overlapping resources. 

Posts 945
Dale E Heath | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 3 2020 12:18 PM

Another tactic I have used successfully is to purchase the BPs as Joseph suggests and if it doesn't work out to your advantage just return them and then repurchase them in a different way through CS. I have only had to return BPs once. Just remember that once you return something and then repurchase it, you can't return something twice, only once.

Posts 7511
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 3 2020 12:42 PM

I wanted to go for Portfolio, but I’m not sure I actually need it.  Anchor Bible Commentaries are old, ICC are old, OTL and NTL are old and not even top 10.  TDOT is old too and not as reliable anymore.

I may look into other BP’s during the sale, but as of now, I seem to be blessed and well equipped commentaries wise and other OL resources. I guess that’s what happens when you own a large library.  Buy as needed and sometimes what I want if I can afford it 👍😁👌

DAL

Posts 9304
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 3 2020 4:22 PM

Perhaps I should have posted in this thread but I was so excited about my discount that I created a new thread before I realized it. - https://community.logos.com/forums/t/189811.aspx

Anyhow, I'd highly recommend that folks check out the packages - especially the denominational packages at the bottom of the sale page.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 1353
Paul Caneparo | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 4 2020 10:54 AM

Has it always been possible to just buy the library in base packages - rather than also upgrading the full feature set? Or am I seeing this for the first time because I have a trial subscription to Faithlife Connect?

Posts 29636
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 4 2020 11:30 AM

Not always - it began with L6 or L7 ...IIRC

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Page 1 of 2 (37 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS