Logos 4.0d

Page 2 of 3 (51 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >
This post has 50 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 4077
Melissa Snyder | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 29 2010 12:45 PM

Rosie Perera:

It just occurred to me, isn't it odd of them to release a Release Candidate and declare it "gold" all in one fell swoop? Seems to defy the purpose of a release "candidate." I sure hope the fixes they did in this release candidate were so minor as to not be able to cause any regressions. I'm not going to try to compare the release notes to figure out which fixes are new in RC2 from RC1. Maybe they deferred all the bugs from RC1 and just fixed the About Box text, which would mean it's totally safe to declare this the gold release at once.

The only fix was to remove 'RC' in the About Logos Bible Software.  Smile

Posts 19635
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 29 2010 12:56 PM

Melissa Snyder:

The only fix was to remove 'RC' in the About Logos Bible Software.  Smile

Ah, thanks. What a relief. Now we're all looking forward to 4.0e Beta 1. Any hints as to how much longer we'll have to wait for it?

Posts 3163
Dominick Sela | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 29 2010 2:00 PM

Actually I thought I downloaded 4.0d, but I am still on 4.0d RC 1. I guess I just got the 2.25 GB resource files so far.

Posts 596
LaRosa Johnson | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 29 2010 2:03 PM

I had to change my update channel to default (from beta) to get 4.0d gold

Urban Scholar - http://urban-scholar.com 
Christ-centered Hip-Hop - http://www.sphereofhiphop.com

Posts 8666
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 29 2010 2:09 PM

Dan DeVilder:

Thomas Black:
I missed that little tidbit.  <sigh>

. . . careful now, don't wannna put a blight on your reputation . . . Angel

LOL, yeah well, my warts tend to be pretty visible.  I think  I'll survive the controversy.  Big Smile

Hmm Sarcasm is my love language. Obviously I love you. 

Posts 3163
Dominick Sela | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 29 2010 2:43 PM

LaRosa Johnson:

You're right, and I think that is a mistake!  I am looking at the chart we made last time, Stable release should download to all channels (Stable, Beta, and Default)

Posts 49
David | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 29 2010 4:04 PM

Thomas Black:
Well on the bright side, I now get to test my laptop's cooling capacity.

I try to make laptop fan run slower by setting Logos4Indexer.exe to run only only one processor. Runs at 50% CPU usage instead of 95%. Less CPU, less heat. At least I think it helps.

Task Manager > Processes tab > Select Logos4Indexer.exe > Right-click and select Set Affinity ... > Uncheck a CPU

Posts 5573
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 29 2010 4:23 PM

Dominick Sela:

LaRosa Johnson:

You're right, and I think that is a mistake!  I am looking at the chart we made last time, Stable release should download to all channels (Stable, Beta, and Default)

I still have my update channel set to beta, and I did get the release with it at that setting. All I did was type update now and it started downloading. When you reset the download channel, it will check for updates, so it's possible that simply by changing you got an update check you didn't get before.

I left my channel set to beta for the explicit purpose of checking the chart and the theory behind it and can confirm that for me, at least, the gold release was picked up with the download channel set to beta.

Help links: WIKI;  Logos 6 FAQ. (Phil. 2:14, NIV)

Posts 27906
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 29 2010 5:08 PM

Richard DeRuiter:
I left my channel set to beta for the explicit purpose of checking the chart and the theory behind it and can confirm that for me, at least, the gold release was picked up with the download channel set to beta.

The theory matches reality because the "gold" RC2 was also released on the Beta channel!

Dave
===

Windows 11 & Android 8

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 29 2010 5:12 PM

Chris Roberts:
Changes in 4.0d require a complete reindex. This will happen for everyone, regardless of resource changes.

So I should probably keep my Logos 4 offlline until I have finished installing the rest of my CD-based Libronix resources?My library is getting too large for the space that is available.  I would just HATE to sync everything Can we put some larger notebook drives in Community Pricing?

Pic edited: My wife didn'r get the joke, maybe I'm slipping. The cat is TOO BIG for the available space!

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 27906
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 29 2010 5:27 PM

David:
I try to make laptop fan run slower by setting Logos4Indexer.exe to run only only one processor.

It'll take twice as long to Index but I doubt the heat will be substantially reduced because the remaining core can still be used by other programs! You would be better off using Power Options in Control Panel settings and setting the CPU to about 70% (or set to Medium if you have a third party utility) because that allows the indexer to use both cores, reduce heat more effectively and be a little faster than 1 core only.

I just use household fan and direct it at the laptop!

Dave
===

Windows 11 & Android 8

Posts 27906
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 29 2010 5:40 PM

Matthew C Jones:
Can we put some larger notebook drives in Community Pricing?

LOL!

Matthew C Jones:
So I should probably keep my Logos 4 offlline until I have finished installing the rest of my CD-based Libronix resources? I would just HATE to sync everything twice. The libary is getting a little big for the space I have remaining.....

Just set Automatically Download updates to NO,  then load and Sync your new L3 resources, wait a while (? - at least 2 hours) for the L4 server to be updated and then allow the L4 download. You won't be sure the L3 files are included unless you know how much the L4 update will be + the size of the L3 update.

Dave
===

Windows 11 & Android 8

Posts 49
David | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 29 2010 5:50 PM

Dave Hooton:

It'll take twice as long to Index but I doubt the heat will be substantially reduced because the remaining core can still be used by other programs! You would be better off using Power Options in Control Panel settings and setting the CPU to about 70% (or set to Medium if you have a third party utility) because that allows the indexer to use both cores, reduce heat more effectively and be a little faster than 1 core only.

I have approx. 15 apps running, plus surfing w/Firefox, and the other processor only runs at about 5%. Max. load for both never gets above 60% when I'm surfing, so it really doesn't matter if it takes longer. In fact, I'm not convinced it takes twice as long. The fan speed stays at a normal level throughout.

Posts 376
Dan Sheppard | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 29 2010 6:13 PM

Rosie Perera:
I sure hope the fixes they did in this release candidate were so minor as to not be able to cause any regressions

I don't know, Rosie.....

I am 56, consider myself golden, and am probably having multiple regressions!!!

Hope you all had better weather in the north.  We in the south (Olympia) had cloudy all day, until about 3:00.

Posts 8666
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 30 2010 7:24 AM

David:
Thomas Black:
Well on the bright side, I now get to test my laptop's cooling capacity.
    I try to make laptop fan run slower by setting Logos4Indexer.exe to run only only one processor. Runs at 50% CPU usage instead of 95%. Less CPU, less heat. At least I think it helps.    Task Manager > Processes tab > Select Logos4Indexer.exe > Right-click and select Set Affinity ... > Uncheck a CPU
I'm happy to report that I had no major issues.  Everything actually worked the way it was supposed to, and while my laptop didid warm up a bit to the touch, it managed to keep it's cool.  Big Smile
Richard DeRuiter:
I was going to confirm this Richard - but I can't.  

I left it to update channel beta and as of this morning I'm running 4.04.4.1201, after the indexing.  I think it should have been 4.04.4.1385.  It didn't take for me with update channel set to beta.  I had to change it to default and restart the program to make the update now work.  Update is currently downloading.

Check your build numbers.

Posts 1669
SteveF | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 30 2010 8:17 AM

Thomas Black:
It didn't take for me with update channel set to beta.  I had to change it to default and restart the program to make the update now work.

Same for me.

Regards, SteveF

Posts 5573
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 30 2010 8:40 AM

Thomas Black:

I was going to confirm this Richard - but I can't.  

I left it to update channel beta and as of this morning I'm running 4.04.4.1201, after the indexing.  I think it should have been 4.04.4.1385.  It didn't take for me with update channel set to beta.  I had to change it to default and restart the program to make the update now work.  Update is currently downloading.

Check your build numbers.

Hmm. I had assumed that yesterday's huge download included the 'gold' release. Checking the numbers this morning, and switching the download channel to default, I find I was mistaken about the update via the beta channel.

Help links: WIKI;  Logos 6 FAQ. (Phil. 2:14, NIV)

Posts 10889
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 30 2010 9:06 AM

Thomas Black:
I had to change it to default and restart the program to make the update now work. 

Same here. But immediately after the download, I reset it to beta. Help! I've caught betamaniaism! Cool

Posts 8666
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 30 2010 9:31 AM

Of course Jack. 

Have you gotten the e beta yet? Wink

Posts 16
Slabs | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 30 2010 11:27 AM

Hi guys,

can anyone give me the direct link for the setup file for Logos 4.0d?  My bandwidth at home does not allow me to download, but I can download the setup from work.  Thanks

Page 2 of 3 (51 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next > | RSS