English Annotations of the Old and New Testaments by the Westminster Divines

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
This post has 4 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 1198
Liam | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Apr 27 2020 9:23 PM

Apparently a massive compilation of the Westminster Divines. The Reformation Commentary on Scripture cites from this work frequently. It was edited by John Downame. I would love it if Logos produced this old classic! More about Downame here.

Would anyone else be interested?

Also does anyone know if it's available in something with a more modern typeset?

Posts 157
LogosEmployee
Mike Hanes | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 28 2020 7:31 AM

Liam:

Apparently a massive compilation of the Westminster Divines. The Reformation Commentary on Scripture cites from this work frequently. It was edited by John Downame. I would love it if Logos produced this old classic! More about Downame here.

Would anyone else be interested?

Also does anyone know if it's available in something with a more modern typeset?

Thanks for the suggestion Liam, I'll look into it.

Posts 1198
Liam | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 28 2020 10:19 AM

Great! Thanks Mike! Here’s a link to the PDFs of the 2 vol. version. I found that the Puritan Hard Drive also has a 6 volume which is probably in much better shape. https://onlinebooks.library.upenn.edu/webbin/book/lookupid?key=olbp78144

Posts 652
Stephen Steele | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 13 2020 6:28 AM

I would absolutely love it! Sometimes known as the 'Westminster Annotations'. I use the Puritan Hard Drive version myself. Note that there a few different editions:

'The first edition had only very concise comments. The second edition put out in 1651 was greatly expanded. The third edition of 1657-8 was further revised and was considered the final, standard edition. Only later did the Annotations become colloquially known as The Westminster Annotations' (quote from Donald John Maclean who used them for his PhD thesis on James Durham - Puritan Hard Drive have the 3rd edition)

Posts 1198
Liam | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 17 2020 4:46 PM

Good info Stephen! I didn’t even know of it until I started digging in to the Luke volume of the reformation commentary on scripture a little!

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS