SUGGESTION: Encyclopedia of Eastern Orthodox Christianity

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
This post has 7 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 29636
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Posted: Sun, May 3 2020 12:55 AM

https://www.amazon.com/Encyclopedia-Eastern-Orthodox-Christianity-Set/dp/1405185392

Please add this encyclopedia for Eastern Orthodox Christianity so we have a basic resource for terms, people, works, etc. of the Greek-Slavic tradition i.e. the second major thread of the 3 threads of the early church.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 1400
HJ. van der Wal | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 12 2020 11:32 AM

Yes

Posts 3866
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 12 2020 11:53 AM

MJ. Smith:

https://www.amazon.com/Encyclopedia-Eastern-Orthodox-Christianity-Set/dp/1405185392

Please add this encyclopedia for Eastern Orthodox Christianity so we have a basic resource for terms, people, works, etc. of the Greek-Slavic tradition i.e. the second major thread of the 3 threads of the early church.

Yes

I like Apples.  Especially Honeycrisp.

Posts 536
Fasil | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 12 2020 9:22 PM

i593 pages?!  Probably It might be very shallow. 

Posts 29636
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 12 2020 9:36 PM

Fasil:
Probably It might be very shallow. 

I think you mean 872 pages. but of course it is shallow - it is a basic encyclopedia but the articles are by respected scholars for the most part and have a 4-5 book reading list for those that wish to go further. If you know of a better English resource, I'd love to check it out. You can read some of the articles from this on Amazon.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 1558
Forum MVP
Veli Voipio | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 12 2020 11:04 PM

Yes

Gold package, and original language material and ancient text material, SIL and UBS books, discourse Hebrew OT and Greek NT. PC with Windows 8.1

Posts 536
Fasil | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 24 2020 1:59 PM

Orthodox Church has very rich ancient history and Theology. Anencyclopedia having less than 872 pages seems to me very little. Especially this Church, which has a great & rich treasure. If this is the best there is out there, I’m for it. I don’t know any other better, but Catholic Church has.

MJ. Smith:

Fasil:
Probably It might be very shallow. 

I think you mean 872 pages. but of course it is shallow - it is a basic encyclopedia but the articles are by respected scholars for the most part and have a 4-5 book reading list for those that wish to go further. If you know of a better English resource, I'd love to check it out. You can read some of the articles from this on Amazon.

Posts 3993
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 25 2020 1:18 PM

Fasil:
Anencyclopedia having less than 872 pages seems to me very little.

"This is a monumental Encyclopedia, in both breadth and depth. It is sure to become a standard reference work for generations to come."
V. Rev. Dr. John Behr, Saint Vladimir’s Orthodox Theological Seminary

Seems worth a look.

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS