Page 2 of 3 (48 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >
This post has 47 Replies | 7 Followers

Posts 5
Robert Paul McCloud | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 23 2020 8:25 AM

As much as Logos is a far more powerful and full software package then WORDSearch, there are areas that WORDSearch did better. I hope, since you now own the rights to it, that you have an open mind and look it over closely to see if there are any approaches that WORDSeach used, that could be incorporated into Logos. One of the things that I think WORDSearch was better at is library organization. I know that I can create collections in Logos, but the way WORDSearch broke down categories in easily assessable sub-categories within the library tree was so much easier to work with. The Commentary category is a prime example: broken down according to commentary series (NAC, Tyndale, MacArthur, etc). The Logos library tree is so cluttered, it can be maddening. And collections, although useful, really doesn't match a branched library tree. Anyway, I just hope you don't fail to recognize that you can learn something from WORDSearch's approach. 

Posts 9265
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 23 2020 8:51 AM

Robert Paul McCloud:
The Commentary category is a prime example: broken down according to commentary series (NAC, Tyndale, MacArthur, etc)

While it isn't quite the same, Logos' Library has a filter that allows you to select resources by a number of criteria, including resource type (commentary, for example).

This screen shot shows the filter panel open, and I've applied two filters: one for type:Bible Commentary and one for the New International Commentary on the Old and New Testaments. I could go further in filtering the results if I wanted to do so.  It isn't a branched library, but it will allow you to filter down to what you are looking for fairly quickly.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 2779
Kevin A. Purcell | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 23 2020 9:07 AM

Great list. I linked to this in my article about the move from WS to Logos

https://www.kevinpurcell.org/wordsearch-is-dead-long-live-wordsearch-with-logos/

Posts 3898
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 23 2020 9:11 AM

Welcome to the forums!

Robert Paul McCloud:
As much as Logos is a far more powerful and full software package then WORDSearch, there are areas that WORDSearch did better. I hope, since you now own the rights to it, that you have an open mind and look it over closely to see if there are any approaches that WORDSeach used, that could be incorporated into Logos.

One of the very first threads--started by Faithlife--in this forum was (and is) "Favorite Wordsearch Features": https://community.logos.com/forums/t/193813.aspx

Posts 4078
Mattillo | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 23 2020 11:22 AM

Nathan Parker:

Here are features I don't see 100% equivalents of yet to my knowledge:

• Cross Reference Explorer-Cited By

I never thought of using Cited By for Cross References.  How would you set that up?

Posts 18600
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 23 2020 11:41 AM

Robert Paul McCloud:
One of the things that I think WORDSearch was better at is library organization. I know that I can create collections in Logos, but the way WORDSearch broke down categories in easily assessable sub-categories within the library tree was so much easier to work with. The Commentary category is a prime example: broken down according to commentary series (NAC, Tyndale, MacArthur, etc). The Logos library tree is so cluttered, it can be maddening.

Logos library allows resources to be found many ways so facet filters have many choices (cluttered can be reduced by collapsing sections).

Screen shot shows Library (Details View) sorted by Series (clicked on column header to group resources by Series), filtered by Bible Commentary and English (clicked filter facets in hamburger menu), followed by finding NAC, Tyndale, MacArthur, Top2 (e.g. Reformation Commentary on Scripture volume description includes Tyndale so appears in filtered list)

Personally have customized Commentary titles in my Library along with creating a custom series of Top 2 Commentaries that started with https://www.bestcommentaries.com/topcommentaries/ Thread => Creating a New Series of Commentaries includes title customization conventions and some historical commentary collection ideas. Thread => Collection rules for sorting commentaries (updated for Logos 8 Base Packages) includes Jun 2020 update of historical commentary collection ideas and title convention => https://community.logos.com/forums/p/88829/1104458.aspx#1104458

My library prioritization includes two Commentary series in the Top 5 resources with Bible Indexing so Right Click on a Bible word allows me to click Reference for Lookup (mouse hover shows pop-up from my highest prioritized commentary series: UBS Handbooks)

Clicking my highest prioritized Bible Commentary opens it in a new tab:

Pressing right arrow key (shortcut for Parallel Resources) in the Commentary Tab causes resource change to my next highest prioritized Commentary, which is in my Top 2 Commentary series (when more than one volume has Bible Reference, alphabetical title order is used, which is chronological for my customized titles so oldest one first)

Multiview Resources (product page shows inclusion in many collections: e.g. Logos 8 Fundamentals) is enabled in Gill's commentary so two more commentaries appear in parallel (previously chosen for MultiView from an earlier forum discussion).

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 9265
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 23 2020 11:55 AM

John Fidel explained the Cross Reference Explorer in this way: The Cross Reference Explorer searches resources for the reference being studied. There are options to select which resources are searched and you can set up collections for the search. 

In Logos we tend to think of Cross References as other scriptures in some way associated with the scripture we are studying. The way John described it and the screen shot he gave looks more like the Logos Cited By tool which searches all (or a group of) resources for the passage you input (which is what the example screen shot shows).

In the example below I look for citations of Psalm 119:16 in a collection of expository commentaries. Note that Logos searches for any passage that includes the reference, so Psalm 139, Psalm 139:13-16, etc. (As far as I can tell there is no way to limit Cited By to a finding only single verse references as you can with a Bible Search.) You quickly get to the end of the list and have to hit the Search icon for more results.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 18600
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 23 2020 11:57 AM

Mattillo:

Nathan Parker:

Here are features I don't see 100% equivalents of yet to my knowledge:

• Cross Reference Explorer-Cited By

I never thought of using Cited By for Cross References.  How would you set that up?

Tool => Cited By has Add button for Adding Series & Collections: e.g. Top 2 Commentaries (drag & drop into desired order)

Hovering Mouse over Cited By hyperlink shows a pop-up

Short title includes ? for a Top 2 volume due to known plagiarism.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 4078
Mattillo | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 23 2020 12:01 PM

Thanks.  I'll have to play with this later.  I wonder if I just made a collection of my Cross References Treasuries and then used cited-by against that.

I usually just have my bible open and the power look up open next to it.  Information tool works for this too.  It was never great but the easiest way I knew to look at both.

Posts 2250
LogosEmployee
Andrew Batishko (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 23 2020 12:09 PM

Two other options for finding cross references are the Cross References option in the Guides menu under Bible Reference Guides, and Important Passages in the same place. These can be opened individually, or as a custom Guide Template with a Bible reference key. That panel can be in a link set with a Bible in order to stay in sync with the current position in a Bible.

Posts 2042
Nathan Parker | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 23 2020 6:33 PM

Someone mentioned Favorite resources on another thread, so I'll also mention it here.

The equivalent is Favorites on the Tools menu, which also allows you to add favorites for multiple book locations (not just one book). It also has a Bookmarks section which is handy when I need to temporarily find my place in books.

Also, To set your Preferred Bible and Commentary, Dictionary, Word Study resources, etc., you use "Prioritized" in the Library. Drag the resources from the library over there and put them in the order you want them to appear.

Lastly, you can also pin your preferred Bible and Commentary and any other tools to the main toolbar (just drag and drop them to the toolbar) to have one-click access to them like you have in Wordsearch.

Nathan Parker

Posts 2042
Nathan Parker | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 23 2020 6:35 PM

Kevin A. Purcell:

Great list. I linked to this in my article about the move from WS to Logos

https://www.kevinpurcell.org/wordsearch-is-dead-long-live-wordsearch-with-logos/

Thanks for linking to it! We can all keep adding to this as questions arise.

Nathan Parker

Posts 60
Dave M | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 24 2020 5:49 AM

Nathan, Thanks so much for your efforts on this. I have been using WS for the past five years. Used Logos prior to that but left because of price and ease of use. These equivalents will help immensely. 

Posts 60
Dave M | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 24 2020 6:20 AM

Smiley, Congrats. You have proved the point of the comment.

Posts 5
Robert Paul McCloud | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 24 2020 7:39 AM

Thank you very, very much! This is extremely useful information. So many others have also provided help on this, The support from users in these forums are humbling. I really don't know where to start! Do you know if there is any provision to "blanket" reply to all of these responses in one shot? Like, just to say THANK YOU EVERYBODY?

Posts 5
Robert Paul McCloud | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 24 2020 7:40 AM

Thank you Mark!

Posts 5
Robert Paul McCloud | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 24 2020 7:49 AM

Very useful list. On a side note (but related to all these lists) are the number of WORDSearch resources that have poor formatting and numerous errors in them (and don't have a Logos equivalent). I'm hoping that Logos is able to put the resources to correct these at some future date. I know it was frustrating for many of us WORDSearch users dealing with this. One prime example were the Life Application Bible Commentaries. A real nightmare, especially when trying to use them on a mobile app. I gave up. I was SO DELIGHTED when I looked at the Logos version! So well done, I can put finally put them to good use!

Posts 2779
Kevin A. Purcell | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 24 2020 7:57 AM

You can report typos and other errors in Logos. They are pretty good a lot of the time about fixing those reported. 

Posts 4067
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 24 2020 10:04 AM

Robert Paul McCloud:

Very useful list. On a side note (but related to all these lists) are the number of WORDSearch resources that have poor formatting and numerous errors in them (and don't have a Logos equivalent). I'm hoping that Logos is able to put the resources to correct these at some future date. I know it was frustrating for many of us WORDSearch users dealing with this. One prime example were the Life Application Bible Commentaries. A real nightmare, especially when trying to use them on a mobile app. I gave up. I was SO DELIGHTED when I looked at the Logos version! So well done, I can put finally put them to good use!

I suspect the initial version will be quick and dirty (well at least a direct import of the original), but by years end, or whenever they are going to have the books ready for sale, they should be polished up pretty well. 

When bringing a new book in from a paper source, they scan it, run an OCR on it, and then have two different human beings read it, and compare it to the original making changes. I imagine a similar process for "dirty" books from WS. At least having it checked twice before it is available for sale. 

L2 lvl4 (...) L8 Platinum, WORDsearch

Posts 47
John Simpson | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 25 2020 3:03 PM

Nathan Parker:

• Auto Dock Books by Category (would like this feature)

I got WS7 the first day it was released and it didn't have auto dock. I was amazed when Dave Scofield added the auto dock feature the day after I suggested it.

Page 2 of 3 (48 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next > | RSS