New in Logos 9: Counseling Guide

Page 2 of 4 (64 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next >
This post has 63 Replies | 8 Followers

Posts 1
Chaplain Joseph Mayer | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 27 2020 8:00 PM

At first, I was very interested in the Counseling Guide, but after testing it out with multiple common counseling issues. I am disappointed. I have been counseling for over 13 years. I have invested significantly in Logos over the years, including many of their counseling resources. Only a few of them are coming up in the Counseling Guide. I find many more results by just doing a search in my counseling collection. For example, Anorexia got no journals and one monograph in the guide. My Counseling collection received 387 results in 57 resources. 

Posts 1632
PL | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 27 2020 8:42 PM

Sean Boisen:

PL:

Hi Sean,

I own the Baker Encyclopedia of Psychology and Counseling, but I don't see my Counseling Guide linked to this resource in the Monograph section. Am I missing something?

Peter

It depends on the topic. Do you see it for Claustrophobia?

Yes, thanks.

Posts 234
cshover8669 | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 28 2020 11:49 AM

I have a question. I looked up a subject in the guide, interests me personally, and the summary was excellent. I was not surprised to see anything under monographs as the tagging is ongoing. I am so looking forward to it being fleshed out. My confusion is in the passage section. In the summary section, a specific passage in Leviticus's book is mentioned, and it was right on point. When I opened the passage section, not one verse was listed. I would have thought that if a passage is listed in summary, that, at a minimum, that one passage would be listed in the passage section.

Of course, it could just be me, and I might be totally nuts, but I think that would make sense.

I love the counseling guide's idea, and I have tons of resources that, when properly tagged with, make this a handy tool. But the whole not listing any passages just threw me.

Carla

Posts 1361
LogosEmployee
Sean Boisen | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 28 2020 2:55 PM

cshover8669:

I have a question. I looked up a subject in the guide, interests me personally, and the summary was excellent. I was not surprised to see anything under monographs as the tagging is ongoing. I am so looking forward to it being fleshed out. My confusion is in the passage section. In the summary section, a specific passage in Leviticus's book is mentioned, and it was right on point. When I opened the passage section, not one verse was listed. I would have thought that if a passage is listed in summary, that, at a minimum, that one passage would be listed in the passage section.

Of course, it could just be me, and I might be totally nuts, but I think that would make sense.

I love the counseling guide's idea, and I have tons of resources that, when properly tagged with, make this a handy tool. But the whole not listing any passages just threw me.

Carla

Thanks for the feedback Carla. The summaries come from third-party resources: the Passages section comes from Faithlife. We consulted the annotated resources, but made independent decisions: we're also continuing to look for additional key passages to add to the Passages section (Liz, our curator, managed to come up with one for arachnophobia though it's a little indirect). 

Posts 22
Martin Burch | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 28 2020 2:58 PM

So how can I customize the Guide so that it brings up the resources I prefer? For instance, I am a biblical counselor and have invested heavily in biblical counseling resources, yet the guide brings up none of those and instead defaults to a Christian Psychology resource for definitions, etc. Not trying to spark anything here, just really interested in customizing it for the best use in my particular ministry.

Posts 1361
LogosEmployee

Mason Miller:

Thank y'all so much for this Counseling Guide. It will be immensely helpful for pastoring. 

Is there a way to view an index of all the terms available within the guide?

Mason, i've attached a simple rendering of the counseling ontology in an HTML file. Open this with a browser, and you should be able to browse the structure, and the hyperlinks should open the Counseling Guide to the appropriate page. We're still working on the dataset documentation for the Counseling Themes dataset, but we'll probably include something like this in it when that's shipped. 

Posts 1361
LogosEmployee

Mason Miller:

Thank y'all so much for this Counseling Guide. It will be immensely helpful for pastoring. 

Is there a way to view an index of all the terms available within the guide?

Mason, i've attached a simple rendering of the counseling ontology in an HTML file. Open this with a browser, and you should be able to browse the structure, and the hyperlinks should open the Counseling Guide to the appropriate page. We're still working on the dataset documentation for the Counseling Themes dataset, but we'll probably include something like this in it when that's shipped. 

Posts 220
Daniel Radke | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 28 2020 3:15 PM

Richard Byrne:

Is there a plan to link the volumes of the Journal of Biblical Counseling to the Counseling Guide resource list as well? This would be very helpful!

YesYes I was thinking the same thing. Faithlife, please please prioritize this!!

eChristianResources.com - Connecting Christians With Quality Evangelical Resources Available For FREE On The Internet (including links to free Logos/Vyrso resources!)

Posts 1361
LogosEmployee
Sean Boisen | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 28 2020 3:45 PM

Martin Burch:

So how can I customize the Guide so that it brings up the resources I prefer? For instance, I am a biblical counselor and have invested heavily in biblical counseling resources, yet the guide brings up none of those and instead defaults to a Christian Psychology resource for definitions, etc. Not trying to spark anything here, just really interested in customizing it for the best use in my particular ministry.

The Guide only displays resources that we've annotated with our counseling themes ontology: for example, that's what maps the Counseling Guide concept of Communication about Money to an article in a resource called "Money Huddles". Probably the ones you prefer haven't yet been annotated. We're working on annotating additional resources and journals, so you should see more resources added in the coming weeks. 

Posts 22
Martin Burch | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 28 2020 4:45 PM

Thanks. I'll keep my eye out for those. It really looks like an awesome resource to utilize.

Posts 4
Angela Schira | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 28 2020 6:04 PM

It seems the Verbum packages don't come with any of these resources. I am trying to decide on a package to buy and based on this information it seems the counseling guide would not be usable within Verbum.  I'd have to buy a Logos package to have any of the connected resources. 

Posts 234
cshover8669 | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 28 2020 7:18 PM

Interesting situation. With the current state of the tagging, which I know will get better soon. I actually had better results opening the new Factbook, entering my term, and choosing counseling theme from the drop-down menu. I now have a new L9 reading plan for a book I found in my library that was just what I was looking for. The number of resources it brought up was still limited as I have 5X as many resources in my library on that topic than what it did bring up, but It was a good start and had more information, especially Bible Passages than the Counseling Guide.

I am not gripping or complaining, just reporting on what I found. I am eagerly anticipating the full build-out of the Counseling Guide. I have great hopes for it.

Carla

Posts 5909
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 28 2020 7:54 PM

Angela Schira:

It seems the Verbum packages don't come with any of these resources.

The Verbum packages--at least some of them--definitely come with relevant resources that I am sure will be tagged for the Counseling Guide. That just hasn't happened yet.

Please use descriptive thread titles to attract helpful posts & not waste others' time. Thanks!

Posts 4
Angela Schira | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 28 2020 7:59 PM

Sounds like a helpful workaround for now, Carla.

I, too, am excited about the potential for the Counseling Guide.  I just need to be patient. Smile

Posts 5909
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 28 2020 8:02 PM

Sean Boisen:
(Liz, our curator, managed to come up with one for arachnophobia though it's a little indirect). 

Excellent choice!

A little bit tongue-in-cheek, but... Gen 7:23, Lev 11:41-43... more seriously: Hos 2:18.

Please use descriptive thread titles to attract helpful posts & not waste others' time. Thanks!

Posts 1361
LogosEmployee
Sean Boisen | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 28 2020 9:22 PM

Angela Schira:

It seems the Verbum packages don't come with any of these resources. I am trying to decide on a package to buy and based on this information it seems the counseling guide would not be usable within Verbum.  I'd have to buy a Logos package to have any of the connected resources. 

Verbum Silver Feature Upgrade includes the Counseling Ontology (https://verbum.com/compare/featuresets), but I'm not sure about the various resources. The Clinton Quick Reference Collection would provide be a solid set of content. 

Posts 1361
LogosEmployee
Sean Boisen | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 28 2020 9:29 PM

cshover8669:
I actually had better results opening the new Factbook, entering my term, and choosing counseling theme from the drop-down menu. I now have a new L9 reading plan for a book I found in my library that was just what I was looking for. The number of resources it brought up was still limited as I have 5X as many resources in my library on that topic than what it did bring up, but It was a good start and had more information, especially Bible Passages than the Counseling Guide.

I'm glad that strategy is working well for you, though i'm a little puzzled: i'd expect the Factbook information for a Counseling Theme to be about the same as what's in the Counseling Guide. I'd be curious to know what Factbook pages work this way for you. 

Posts 1
Victor Mullins | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 29 2020 6:52 PM

I agree as well, The Journal of Modern Ministry would also be a good addition.

Posts 230
David R. McAllan | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 30 2020 2:23 AM

Chaplain Joseph Mayer:
Only a few of them are coming up in the Counseling Guide

I agree, I have Jay Adams works, Gary Collins and the Journal of Biblical Counselling and none are coming up. I hope there are plans to expand the guides reach. All in all, Logos has done a great job on L9.

David
https://echucacommunitychurch.com

MacBook Pro (13-inch, M1, 2020), 8 gig RAM, macOS Monterrey.

Posts 6004
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 30 2020 1:57 PM

cshover8669:
The number of resources it brought up was still limited as I have 5X as many resources in my library on that topic than what it did bring up, but It was a good start and had more information, especially Bible Passages than the Counseling Guide.

These guides will always be curated in terms of what resources are tagged to work with them which once enough resources are tagged and providing you own those resources will make the great starting points. But there will always be other information in your library beyond what the guides point too and so making use of search collections to get to those resources not curated for the guide will always be necessary and valuable when you want even more depth or breadth of information on a topic.

Page 2 of 4 (64 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS