Suggestions: Please, Please Change the new Logos Icon

Page 1 of 2 (35 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 34 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 141
Samuel | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Oct 27 2020 5:22 AM

Just saying the new three color icon is really distracting. It feels cluttered and busy. It would be great to have something more elegant again. 

It also reminds me of the early days of computers when gradients were such low resolution you could see the colors progressing. Yes it looks like the Word icon (which also isn't great) but even that icon is less busy because it doesn't have the magnifying glass/cross icon laying across three color bars.

Would be a great surprise in an update to get back to the last icon or a new one that isn't so jarring :) 

Posts 34
Fábio Silva | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 27 2020 5:40 AM

To be fair although I think this wouldn't bother me to the point of writing a post complaining about it. But it does at first glance gimme the impression fo being pixelated and low res because of the sharp flag like horizontal bars, I guess what I'm saying is that the background of the logo seems to be tacked on as an aftertought and doesn't blend to the main feature of the LOGO.

That being said they could paint it pink with fluorescent markings and it wouldn't matter as long as the product is good

EDIT: Just realised that there are a few different logos, the specific one I'm referring to is the one in the Home Screen of the desktop app.

Love the design on the base packages though! 

Posts 141
Samuel | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 27 2020 5:55 AM

Fábio Silva:

To be fair although I think this wouldn't bother me to the point of writing a post complaining about it. But it does at first glance gimme the impression fo being pixelated and low res because of the sharp flag like horizontal bars, I guess what I'm saying is that the background of the logo seems to be tacked on as an aftertought and doesn't blend to the main feature of the LOGO.

EDIT: Just realised that there are a few different logos, the specific one I'm referring to is the one in the Home Screen of the desktop app.

Yes, the one I'm referring to is the app icon on the Mac. Agreed it is a smooth upgrade and the reason it bugs me is because I spend so much time in Logos. It's a big part of my work day. But, as always, grateful for the tools and resources which help me do my work and dig into the Bible much more efficiently. 

Posts 76
James Ogle | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 27 2020 5:56 AM

I almost thought someone one was trolling, but then I thought people just complain to hear themselves complain. It could have been way worse this time around, for Logos 9, but it's been pretty quite. So for that I'm thankful.

Posts 2517
David Thomas | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 27 2020 6:01 AM

Samuel:

Just saying the new three color icon is really distracting. It feels cluttered and busy. It would be great to have something more elegant again. 

It also reminds me of the early days of computers when gradients were such low resolution you could see the colors progressing. Yes it looks like the Word icon (which also isn't great) but even that icon is less busy because it doesn't have the magnifying glass/cross icon laying across three color bars.

Would be a great surprise in an update to get back to the last icon or a new one that isn't so jarring :) 

the 3 bands makes sense in PROCLAIM due to the “law of thirds” when working with graphics, but seems out of place in Logos (unless they are trying to replicate “going deeper”; which a gradient would better portray)

Making Disciples!  Logos Ecosystem = Logos8 on Microsoft Surface Pro 4 (Win10), Android app on tablet, FSB on iPhone, [deprecated] Windows App, Proclaim, Faithlife.com, FaithlifeTV via Connect subscription.

Posts 141
Samuel | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 27 2020 6:25 AM

James Ogle:

I almost thought someone one was trolling, but then I thought people just complain to hear themselves complain. It could have been way worse this time around, for Logos 9, but it's been pretty quite. So for that I'm thankful.

I can understand that, but in this case I only had two objectives: 1) make a suggestion and 2)  see if I'm the only one that finds the new icon jarring. 

Agreed other than that no issues so far other than an unplanned purchase! So far everything is smooth and I am looking forward to discovering the new features. I upgraded but haven't had time to look through the new stuff yet.

Posts 5608
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 27 2020 6:39 AM

Samuel:
I can understand that, but in this case I only had two objectives: 1) make a suggestion and 2)  see if I'm the only one that finds the new icon jarring. 

I know you aren't the only one who finds it jarring (though it doesn't bother me personally). You might want to put up/vote for a suggestion to change it at feedback.faithlife.com. That would tell both you and Faithlife about how many of their customers are bothered by the new logo.

“God watches over the affairs of those who truly love him without their worrying about them.”St. John of the Cross

Posts 5563
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 27 2020 7:38 AM

BTW Anyone know why this comes in upside down?

tootle pip

Mike

How to get logs and post them. (now tagging post-apocalyptic fiction as current affairs)

Posts 11
Bill Cook | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 27 2020 7:58 AM

Yes, I too think the new icon is hideous. Perhaps a contest for a designer to come up with one that is more appealing... But, hey, I like the new functionality of the product. And, I agree, if it was a pink icon and chartreuse contrast and the product is great, so be it!

Posts 1937
Forum MVP
Levi Durfey | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 27 2020 8:10 AM

Mike Binks:

BTW Anyone know why this comes in upside down?

It's just you Mike--it's right side up for me--

Posts 817
LogosEmployee
Eli Evans (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 27 2020 11:24 AM

FWIW, it's a brand tie-in with all the Faithlife products that have (green) tricolor bands. I'll pass this feedback along. 

Posts 23
Mason Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 27 2020 11:43 AM

I think the new logo looks great.

Posts 33781
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 27 2020 12:54 PM

I'm also fine with the new logo ... and have other things I'd rather Faithlife spent resources on.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 141
Samuel | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 27 2020 1:12 PM

Eli Evans (Faithlife):

FWIW, it's a brand tie-in with all the Faithlife products that have (green) tricolor bands. I'll pass this feedback along. 

Thank you! No need to redo it--just having the old one back would be great :) 

Posts 3855
Floyd Johnson | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 27 2020 1:44 PM

Samuel:

Eli Evans (Faithlife):

Thank you! No need to redo it--just having the old one back would be great :) 

Return your LOGOS 9 package and can keep the LOGOS 8 Icon.

Blessings,
Floyd

Pastor-Patrick.blogspot.com

Posts 11433
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 27 2020 1:56 PM

Or just use Verbum. It's much prettier!

"God will save his fallen angels and their broken wings He'll mend."

Posts 1721
LogosEmployee
Bob Pritchett | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 27 2020 2:09 PM

I'm sorry you don't like the new icon... it's an attempt to make clearer the family connection to all the Faithlife tools. You can see the icons lined up here:

https://equip.faithlife.com/

Our logo and icon have changed many times over the years, and each change feels weird and 'wrong' at first, until it doesn't.

I feel the same way about other companies' logos; it can be fun to search for 'evolution of <brand> logo' on the Internet, and see how much logos do change.

https://blog.logomyway.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/09/evolution-ups-logo.jpg

https://www.reddit.com/r/graphic_design/comments/a1pvg9/microsoft_word_icon_history/

Fun Fact: Our 'three color bands' for the Faithlife icons pre-date Microsoft Office's adoption of very similar four color bands by a year, as far as I can tell. Though I don't think they were imitating us, fun as that would be. :-) I think it was just "in the air", as so many design trends are.

Posts 194
Clifford B. Kvidahl | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 27 2020 2:16 PM

The icon could have been drawn by my 6 year old, just so long as the program works like I need it to.

Posts 6730
Forum MVP
Lynden Williams | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 27 2020 2:20 PM

Like the new logo. Let's split the difference keep the three shades of color, and remove the distinct line that separate the colours. Let them fade gradually into each other. 

Lynden Williams Communications

Posts 1776
JoshInRI | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 27 2020 6:17 PM

This whole string gave me a chuckle.  Smile

I will privately dance naked in a linen ephod (see 2 Samuel 6:14) if Faithlife ever commits to making Logos simpler and easier to use.

Note how underdeveloped the basic menu is or any of my forum posts for further discussion.

The style of the icon...really?

Page 1 of 2 (35 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS