The Context of Scripture Seriew

Page 1 of 1 (15 items)
This post has 14 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 14
Flackey | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Jul 15 2010 7:07 AM

Does anyone know if it is possible to to s scripture search for the volumes in "The Context of Scripture"?  In the printed version, there is a scripture index at the back of volume 3 but I do not see this in the electronic version.  If it is there and I am missing it, I would appreciate any tips on how to find it.

Thanks,

Andy

Posts 5337
Kevin Becker | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 15 2010 7:32 AM

Scripture indexes are usually replaced in Logos by its search function. Consider this example

I collapsed the results so you could see that there are citations of Genesis 1 in all three volumes.

Posts 5632
Todd Phillips | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 15 2010 7:33 AM

To do a scripture search, you can just use the "Basic" search. Open the search window, make sure it is set to "Basic" (not Bible), and select the "Context Of Scripture" series for the resources to search:

Then just enter the verse to search for in the search field, and hit enter:

Wiki Links: Enabling Logging / Detailed Search Help - MacBook Pro (2014), ThinkPad E570

Posts 13423
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 15 2010 7:42 AM

Just to explain the differences between Kevin and Todd's search. By adding the angle brackets, Kevin includes all verses tagged as Genesis 1:1, whilst Todd is searching for the words genesis and 1:1.

Kevin's search can be extended slightly by using this syntax:

• <bible = Genesis 1:1-10> - the exact reference 1:1-10
  • <bible ~ Genesis 1:1-10> - any reference which intersects 1:1-10 (e.g. will also pick up 1:8-9, 1:9-12)
  • <bible subset Genesis 1:1-10> - any reference which is a subset of 1:1-10  (e.g. 1:8-9, but not 1:9-12)
  • <bible superset Genesis 1:1-10> - any reference which includes all of Genesis 1:1-10, but is also bigger than it (e.g. Genesis 1-2).
Posts 5632
Todd Phillips | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 15 2010 8:01 AM

Mark Barnes:
whilst Todd is searching for the words genesis and 1:1.

I don't think that's true.  I believe Bradley (or somebody else at Logos) has said that the search parser will recognize scripture references without brackets (though I can't find the post right now).

Anyhow, the search itself shows this. It finds all references to gen 1:1, not just those individual words:

Wiki Links: Enabling Logging / Detailed Search Help - MacBook Pro (2014), ThinkPad E570

Posts 13423
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 15 2010 8:15 AM

Todd Phillips:

Mark Barnes:

I don't think that's true.

You're right, it isn't true. But it seems that feature doesn't work. The reason I though you weren't doing a 'proper' bible search was because the search genesis 1:1 gives totally different results from <bible = genesis 1:1>. It appears that you're getting all bible verses that begin with Gen 1:1 (e.g. Gene 1:1, Gen 1:1-7, etc.) Do you want to report it as a bug?

Posts 5632
Todd Phillips | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 15 2010 8:19 AM

Mark Barnes:

Todd Phillips:

Mark Barnes:

I don't think that's true.

You're right, it isn't true. But it seems that feature doesn't work. The reason I though you weren't doing a 'proper' bible search was because the search genesis 1:1 gives totally different results from <bible = genesis 1:1>. It appears that you're getting all bible verses that begin with Gen 1:1 (e.g. Gene 1:1, Gen 1:1-7, etc.) Do you want to report it as a bug?

I don't think it's an "equal".  It believe it is same as <Genesis 1:1> which is the same as <~ Genesis 1:1> and <bible ~ Genesis 1:1>, so I think the results look correct.  Here's an old post from Dave Hooton stating that: http://community.logos.com/forums/t/4193.aspx, but I don't have anything more authoritative.  Testing seems to bear it out:

Posts 14
Flackey | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 15 2010 8:56 AM

YesThanks guys.  That worked perfectly!!

Posts 13423
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 15 2010 9:39 AM

Todd Phillips:
It believe it is same as <Genesis 1:1> which is the same as <~ Genesis 1:1> and <bible ~ Genesis 1:1>, so I think the results look correct.

You're quite right. My apologies. I must have mistyped something in my testing.

Posts 3859
Floyd Johnson | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 15 2010 9:48 AM

Thanks for all the comments - I was asking my self these questions just yesterday.  Are all of these details in the WIKI - or does somebody need to add them?

Blessings,
Floyd

Pastor-Patrick.blogspot.com

Posts 13423
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 15 2010 9:51 AM

The post from Dave that Todd referred to has been in the wiki for some time: http://wiki.logos.com/Search_HELP

Posts 3859
Floyd Johnson | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 15 2010 11:45 AM

Thanks, Mark.  I was our local Tim Horton's yesterday - it has not internet access.  Thanks for the reply.

Blessings,
Floyd

Pastor-Patrick.blogspot.com

Posts 1669
SteveF | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 15 2010 1:36 PM

Floyd Johnson:
Thanks, Mark.

Thanks to all of Kevin, Todd and Mark for these helpful tips!

Regards, SteveF

Posts 2745
Bohuslav Wojnar | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 15 2010 2:17 PM

Thank you guys, you taught me some new things also.

Bohuslav

Posts 129
ton verdam | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 6 2011 7:24 AM

found the answer - file deleted...Cake

Page 1 of 1 (15 items) | RSS